Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to benidorm

Moving to benidorm

Old Nov 27th 2017, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to benidorm

Originally Posted by Sasha76
Sure Uk university degree will be ample in Spain as that where most of Europe travel to study and being trained in one of the country’s most qualified and biggest hospitals in the Uk I will have ample chance and all the skills to thrive in a spanish hospital ❤️
Go for it!

See you shortly in the moving back to the UK thread.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Sasha76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jonboy
Go for it!

See you shortly in the moving back to the UK thread.
Just because it didn’t work out for you there is no need to be so bitter about things. Thousands of brits live happily out in Spain. Your just a little sore it didn’t work for you!
Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Just because it didn’t work out for you there is no need to be so bitter about things. Thousands of brits live happily out in Spain. Your just a little sore it didn’t work for you!
It has nothing to do with bitterness and most people here live permanently in Spain, or have a 2nd home there. They are just giving advice and there's a big difference being retired in Spain.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 9:16 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

We have moved about and lived abroad before as my husband was in the army for 8years so I know what it’s like to move about as I’ve moved Numerous times in my life. I’ve got 3-4 years yet before I’d even move out of the UK. Canada is an option but hubby wants to be closer for travel etc to UK (football games 🙄) Australia would be my ultimate dream but by time I get my degree I will be to old for the 44year age cap that was recently changed lower in July. I’m looking at ideas here as to where’s best to emigrate.
What sort of work would your husband be looking for or would he not need to work?

People are answering you with their honest opinions that have been formed by their experience of living in Spain therefore you will gain positive and negative responses. That is the nature of forum life. If people only reply in a positive manner it does not give you the information that you require in order to make decisions.

In 3 - 4 years time the situation in all countries could be vastly different so my advice is to keep on researching whilst you are doing your degree and then evaluate where to move to and not to become too fixated on one particular country unless that country has grabbed your heart.

Rosemary
Old Nov 28th 2017, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

ned flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would have helped if you had given more information about your life and family and aspirations from the beginning. You have to think about many things that will affect yourself, your husband, and your children in different ways. You haven't mentioned what career your husband hopes to find or the ages of your children or indeed what hospital position you are hoping for. Pay in Spain won't be as high as UK, and income tax will be higher because you start income tax at a lower threshold in Spain. Schools for your children. Is missing football matches really the most important thing for your husband>
Old Nov 28th 2017, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I guess as a nurse you are registered with the RCN? European countries all have their own registration bodies and this is why you need to be fluent in Spanish before you move away. No matter what people tell you about the % who speak English in any given geographical sector, the national language is a MUST to be granted membership of your professional body - that even goes for the Netherlands where they have the highest % of English speakers (apparently). When someone is ill (they wouldn't need a nurse otherwise), they want to speak their own language because that is how they can express their feelings best, and you need to be able to pick up those words and refer or treat accordingly.

I have no idea if there is a call for English speaking private nursing staff there (after all, you won't be dealing with too many young folk needing your services there...sorry guys!) but I would imagine that to practice you would still need professional registration so get learning the language. Hopefully post-Brexit you will still be able to move there, but considering the numbers of EU medical personnel who are making plans to return to the mainland, I don't think the competition will be any less then.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

The RCN is the "Royal College of Nursing" and is a union that represents nurses.

The NMC is the "Nursing and Midwifery Council" and is the regulatory body for England and Wales.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 11:09 am
Just Joined

wesdunn1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought I would mention here that there a lot more hospitals and opportunities in the major cities south of Benidorm. Both Alicante and Elche are less than an hour away, not sure how many hospitals in Alicante but I know Elche has 4 and is quite a bit smaller than Alicante. I live just south of both these cities. Spanish will be mandatory but I believe you will also need to Speak Valenciano to a decent level. Most emergency services are required to speak Valenciano also as far as I know.. Best of luck to you..
Old Nov 29th 2017, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

@sasha76 , you stand very little chance of making it work in Spain, if you are young and a qualified nurse I think you would be better off looking at Australia or NZ .
Old Nov 30th 2017, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

She will be over 45 when she qualifies so will be too old for Australia. I think the age cap for NZ is higher?
Old Nov 30th 2017, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
She will be over 45 when she qualifies so will be too old for Australia. I think the age cap for NZ is higher?
Certain trades can get exemption when in big demand , depends at the time of application.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rotor
@sasha76 , you stand very little chance of making it work in Spain, if you are young and a qualified nurse I think you would be better off looking at Australia or NZ .
I think she has just started out on the road to train as a nurse, that is why it will be three years before she is ready to become an immigrant and why she is so hopeful
Old Dec 1st 2017, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Its not just gaining the degree, realistically she needs a couple of years work experience to get work abroad.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anny1980
Good place for retirement, but I don't recommend living by the sea.
?? I live in Benidorm and I fully recommend living by the sea.

Steve
Old Aug 31st 2018, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tebo53
?? I live in Benidorm and I fully recommend living by the sea.

Steve
I suppose it depends on how high the sea is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.