Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Benalmadena

Moving to Benalmadena

Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:53 am
Just Joined

PH04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Benalmadena

Hi, I am looking into moving to the Benalmadena area of Spain with my husband and 9 year old daughter. We are trying to find some information about state schools in this area as we would not be able to afford to pay for a private school. Does anyone know if there are any primary schools close to Paloma park and how do these schools go about teaching English speaking children as my daughter does not speak any Spanish? Any information regarding shooling in this area would be a big help
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:04 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Benalmadena

Originally Posted by PH04
Hi, I am looking into moving to the Benalmadena area of Spain with my husband and 9 year old daughter. We are trying to find some information about state schools in this area as we would not be able to afford to pay for a private school. Does anyone know if there are any primary schools close to Paloma park and how do these schools go about teaching English speaking children as my daughter does not speak any Spanish? Any information regarding shooling in this area would be a big help
Hi there and welcome to BE

I've moved your post over to our Spanish forum as you have some specific questions best answered by the members here.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:54 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:51 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at Benalmadena Pueblo, it's a lovely old very friendly Spanish village with lots of things going on and only 10 minutes bus/car ride from the beach.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crookesey
Have a look at Benalmadena Pueblo, it's a lovely old very friendly Spanish village with lots of things going on and only 10 minutes bus/car ride from the beach.
I lived there for 3 years

It is as Spanish or British as you want it to be. The only thing that is lacking are good restaurants - they are very touristy, but it has a good bakery and an OK fruit and veg shop. Very good sports centre.

The state school is officially a Spanish English bilingual school, but the reality is that the teachers barely speak a word of English so follow a pantomime of reading the English materials phonetically as best as they can

There are a scattering of English kids there, although I lived next to the state nursery school, and there wasnt a single English name in the 50 or so kids enrolled there. So it is potentially a good Spanish speaking environment for children

9 is a difficult age to bring children at. Success all depends on the attitude of your child. Is she looking forward to "becoming Spanish" in more ways than one
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:56 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I lived there for 3 years

It is as Spanish or British as you want it to be. The only thing that is lacking are good restaurants - they are very touristy, but it has a good bakery and an OK fruit and veg shop. Very good sports centre.

The state school is officially a Spanish English bilingual school, but the reality is that the teachers barely speak a word of English so follow a pantomime of reading the English materials phonetically as best as they can

There are a scattering of English kids there, although I lived next to the state nursery school, and there wasnt a single English name in the 50 or so kids enrolled there. So it is potentially a good Spanish speaking environment for children

9 is a difficult age to bring children at. Success all depends on the attitude of your child. Is she looking forward to "becoming Spanish" in more ways than one
I recall asking you this before, but with no reply, do you recall the bar/community centre run by the lady with a Down Syndrome sister? A Cape Coloured lady along with her cockney husband help with all things community based, this bar is family run and goes back donkey's years.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:17 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

What does that have to do with the OPs request for information about schools?

Please stay on topic.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred James
What does that have to do with the OPs request for information about schools?

Please stay on topic.
Because the village community centre would be the perfect place for the OP to ask about schools etc, that is unless your greatness knows better.

(SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jan 14th 2014 at 7:42 pm. Reason: Dont .... please!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:12 pm
Banned

If you go down the steps beside the La Fonda hotel in Benalmadena Pueblo you will find a bar that doubles as the community centre directly on your right. I have attempted to find out more from someone who states to have 3 years residence in the pueblo, but my intentions have been misunderstood. A South African lady is who you need to speak to, she is very active in the community centre.

Good luck.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crookesey
If you go down the steps beside the La Fonda hotel in Benalmadena Pueblo you will find a bar that doubles as the community centre directly on your right. I have attempted to find out more from someone who states to have 3 years residence in the pueblo, but my intentions have been misunderstood. A South African lady is who you need to speak to, she is very active in the community centre.

Good luck.
No I dont know that bar, but to be honest I didnt hang out with expats
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by cricketman
No I dont know that bar, but to be honest I didnt hang out with expats
If you take the time to read my post properly properly (SNIP)

Last edited by Fred James; Jan 15th 2014 at 9:09 am. Reason: GET BACK ON TOPIC - NOW!
Old Jan 15th 2014, 9:04 am
Just Joined

What's going on here? I posted in the hope that I could get some information about schools in the area, instead I am receiving posts between two other people discussing a bar/african lady??? not really helping answer my question!
Old Jan 15th 2014, 9:12 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

What's going on here? I posted in the hope that I could get some information about schools in the area, instead I am receiving posts between two other people discussing a bar/african lady??? not really helping answer my question!
Sorry about that.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some useful information.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Not your fault but thank you! yes hopefully there is someone who can help
Old Jan 15th 2014, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought I answered your question in my first post?