Moving to Asturias in April 2018

Moving to Asturias in April 2018

Old Nov 25th 2017, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

SpacemanP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Asturias in April 2018

Hello all,

I am a newbie here on the ExPat forums.

In April of next year, I will be moving to Gijon to live a life with my girlfriend whom I've been dating for a year as a long-distance relationship (I feel confident in this relationship and have decided to bite the bullet and try to begin a new life in Spain).

I am a complete novice however and would very much appreciate anyone explain to me what I will have to do prior to moving to Spain, both on my side here in the UK and once I touch down in Spain.

At present I am planning to do a a few TEFL courses so that I could essentially attempt to teach English whilst I am there, as I know native english speakers are in high demand in Asturias.

However, I am curious as to what I need to do before-hand my main concerns are the following.

health care in spain and what I have to do with my existing UK healthcare
do I have to notify the UK HMRC??
does Spain have a NI number which I have to apply for???
Also how easy would work be able to obtain for an English speaker in Gijon or Oviedo??

My girlfriend and a few of her friends are teaching me Spanish and I am also learning very basically however I was wondering if any others who've moved from UK to Asturias could let me know how quickly they learned the language and also by what means did they find it best to learn the language.

Another thing has been removal companies, is it cheaper for me to hire a van say and drive to Gijon from the UK or are there good removals companies, I don't have much except a rather large vinyl record collection, books and guitars which I really would love to have with me in Spain.

Sorry for the 101 questions, I am currently in a state of excitement and nervousness all at the same time, I feel personally Asturias will offer me a much more relaxed way of life and I love the culture, the people and of course, love my girlfriend dearly.... however the nervousness for me is getting work, being able to live on an income opposed to my savings and ultimately being happy in Spain in a post-Brexit Europe.

Having spoken to folks in Asuturias and Galicia I am aware they too are very 50/50 when it comes to the EU also.... Brexit doesn't scare me as such, because I will do anything I can do be with my girlfriend but for me I felt I needed to move to Spain rather than her move to the UK, the reason is the way of life, I envisaged if she moved to the UK it would be very depressing for her here, I myself struggle here too.

anyway... I'm rambling now, anyone with additional feedback and friendly advice please get in touch.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 9:35 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Asturias in April 2018

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.