Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

To move now or to wait

To move now or to wait

Old Nov 13th 2017, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To move now or to wait

Originally Posted by OTA63
What happens if you live in Spain just before Brexit but do not get residency confirmed until after midnight on the 29th March 2019? And the 30,000 euro income would scupper a lot of people too.
Who knows? Best not to wait if possible I should imagine. I personally wouldn't if at all possible!
Old Nov 13th 2017, 5:57 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know. But if you wait until 5 before midnight, I'd prepare for some fog in the channel.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

No one has a clue which has been mentioned a number of times. However if people wait untill after the ? Cut off then that's down to them and little point complaining.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 8:40 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

I'm broadly in agreement with the advice suggested by Lurchio earlier in the thread (quoted below)...i.e go for it now, but don't burn all your bridges in the UK.

However, I can only ask IF you can consider NOT doing the 'Lock, stock and barrel' thing JUST yet (hypocrite really, because that's what we did, but there wasn't the possible issues there are today). Rent over here first, find the place and area you like and see how this BREXIT fiasco works out. IF you can, keep the place in the UK, rented out or whatever until all these unknowns are knowns and then go for it!
Old Nov 14th 2017, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave64
Hi, forgive me if this has been discussed already. My wife and I are 53 and are looking to move permanently to Spain to live. Basically should we do it now or wait till after brexit.
Any info much appreciated
Dave
Go for it.....don't forget the Brits are not the only ones buying at the moment in Spain, people from all over Europe do and are. Life is short, nobody knows what will happen in the future and your future health will be more of an impact than whatever leaving the EU will bring.....as long as you have the finances to support yourself, try your best to learn the language and integrate with the community the Spanish will welcome all those with similar values and culture as themselves.....not that different to Europeans who wish to move to the UK.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Dave64 is an unknown quantity at this point

Since starting this question there have been some great replies and some a bit off topic 😀. We are not age to retire but will be able to support ourselves and are not looking to work. We are not rich but should have about 10000euro per year to live off once a house is purchased. Is this enough to fit the current rules. Where can I go to get the real rules and laws about living in Spain. We are just fed up here and want a quiet life in the sun. Not rose coloured specs, just want a real change. Thanks again. DAve
Old Nov 17th 2017, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Since starting this question there have been some great replies and some a bit off topic � ����. We are not age to retire but will be able to support ourselves and are not looking to work. We are not rich but should have about 10000euro per year to live off once a house is purchased. Is this enough to fit the current rules. Where can I go to get the real rules and laws about living in Spain. We are just fed up here and want a quiet life in the sun. Not rose coloured specs, just want a real change. Thanks again. DAve
We're all different, so nobody can really say. 10000 per year for two is poverty for most Northern Europeans (just above Spanish) and again will depend on location + you probably won't meet financial requirements then. If you're out in the sticks, you'll probably need a car. How much will you spend on insurance, petrol, repairs? Then you have utility costs, taxes, health insurance, possible dental costs etc. It's very hard unless you know the exact location where your home will be. If it's in a town you might be able to walk to the shops or take the bus. Quiet life in the sun is also hard to say and depends on the location. Even in Spain you'll find micro climates and it can be colder, hotter, wetter than you think.

Last edited by Moses2013; Nov 17th 2017 at 9:58 am.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Since starting this question there have been some great replies and some a bit off topic 😀. We are not age to retire but will be able to support ourselves and are not looking to work. We are not rich but should have about 10000euro per year to live off once a house is purchased. Is this enough to fit the current rules. Where can I go to get the real rules and laws about living in Spain. We are just fed up here and want a quiet life in the sun. Not rose coloured specs, just want a real change. Thanks again. DAve
FYI:

1. UNEMPLOYED AND RETIRED
  2. If you are national from a member of the EU countries (and Switzerland), and you do not work in Spain, because you are unemployed or retired, yourselves and your family members must be registered in the Central Register of Foreigners (“Registro Central de Extranjeros” ) at the of Immigration Office (or to the National Police Station of the area and proof to have sufficient resources to live in Spain without requiring Spanish public social assistance during your period of residence, and must proof that you have covered your health assistance by public or private sources while you are in Spain.
So, your financial sources must be evaluated by the Spanish system to confirm that you will not require Public Social/Health Assistance. The evaluation of the adequacy of your financial resources will be made individually and taking into account your personal and family situation. Every year, the Law of the General Public Budget (“Ley de Presupuestos Generales del Estado”) establishes the annual minimum for one to be considered “with sufficient resources.” For 2015 the minimum is an amount around € 6,000 / year and person.
So if your income is below this amount (€ 6,000 / person), you will not be accepted as a resident in Spain.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Thanks again, the car is taken care of and I’ve included living costs in my house calculations. The 10000 is purely to live off and is a minimum. But I’m not sure on this law about supporting yourself, is there a figure you MUST have per year?
Old Nov 17th 2017, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Sorry, just seen the above post. Brilliant, thank you
Old Nov 17th 2017, 2:33 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^^^

If you are national from a member of the EU countries (and Switzerland).

Cuidado.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

The amount is not set in stone as it varies by region. In the Velez Malaga area to obtain residency it is 5400 Euros per year for individual but that doesn't double for a couple rather then it is just over 8000 Euros. However that is if you don't own debt free an house if you do then you do not need to show any income! I have just obtained residency and can confirm that is the case. Main point is you must meet whatever the regional criteria is. However that does not mean that is liveable income. Every lifestyle is different but main thing is yes you will get residency but if you can't manage to live on whatever amount you receive, the local authority isn't going to help you out.