Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Monitored Alarm Response

Monitored Alarm Response

Old Dec 26th 2017, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

bil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant future
Default Monitored Alarm Response

Hi to all

Just had this years monitored response for the alarm 550 euros, question, is it worth it, would it pay to have a better alarm system connected through the internet so if we were broken into then we would be contacted by text or phone.
After all they only contact the police if required.

Any thoughts thanks
Old Dec 26th 2017, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monitored Alarm Response

I like the ARLO Q setup whereby there are one or more cameras that you purchase outright, set up yourself or get someone to do it for you. When it is triggered through movement of sound The recording is uploaded to the cloud and you can down load it to your phone/pc within 7 days to have your permanent copy. You can access the cameras remotely and view the property yourself any time you want.

Most interestingly you can also interact with the intruder verbally, allowing you to abuse them or plead with them to desist or advise them where the higher value items may be found!

No upload/download fees.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.arlo.com/uk/products/arlo-q/default.aspx
Old Dec 26th 2017, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have no financial connection to the company nor the security industry.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

bil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant future

Hi Jonboy,
Thanks , when triggered will it send a message to your phone? also cost in Spain and supplier near Moraira area, thanks again
Old Dec 26th 2017, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yep, sends alert and you can view the video online there and then. UK cost per camera about ÂŁ150.

Leroy-merlin have ARLO's instock but not the Q model. Perhaps Amazon? or one of the other large electrical retailers. Look at the link I sent earlier.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 6:33 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You will need Wifi router in your home.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 6:52 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

It all depends on your attitude; mine is to put the defences on show thereby deterring all but the most professional thief.
I have eight cameras with infra-red and two dogs. Most thieves are opportunists so if they think they will not get away with it in the long term, they will seek an easier target.
Just my twopenny worth

Davexf
Old Dec 26th 2017, 7:38 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil8999
Hi to all

Just had this years monitored response for the alarm 550 euros, question, is it worth it, would it pay to have a better alarm system connected through the internet so if we were broken into then we would be contacted by text or phone.
After all they only contact the police if required.

Any thoughts thanks
It will depend on the alarm company. We have a monitored alarm from Securitas. All the sensors have cameras included. The procedure is that should a sensor trip, the photos are immediately available at the control centre. If they see an obvious intruder they call the police immediately. If in doubt, they call you to check. This always happens when there is a false alarm. They respond within a few seconds, exchange passwords etc and if it was a false alarm they cancel it. There is a special password to indicate that you are being forced to give it.

The time it takes for the police to respond will depend on location. They also will install a panic button which bypasses all the checks and calls out the police immediately. There is a similar medical panic option which will despatch an ambulance with no further checks.

Almost all monitored alarms communicate via GSM so cutting phone lines makes no difference. Where the robbers attempt to jam the signal, the system recognises this and uses a totally different network which is actually a part of the national security system.

I agree with Dfx - nothing beats a couple of Rottweilers, but all we can manage is a couple of cats!

Last edited by Fred James; Dec 26th 2017 at 7:40 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

The first thing I do when robbing houses is take the fuse out of the electricity box, lol.

I then throw some poison meat to the dogs, lol.

I have cameras setup inside but I really have accepted that they won't produce any results in the event of a burglary.

The last thing I want to know when hiking in the Pyrenees (and therefore about 3 days from home) is that my house has been broken into, etc.

Wouldn't use a security company. Next to useless. Neighbours had Securitas installed. A few days later the owners father arrived and left after a few minutes. 30 minutes later, national police arrived and had a look around. So it's clear the system doesn't work as described.

Best deterrent - close and lock everything before leaving the house. I even close the shutters if leaving for 10 minutes. If I go to back garden, windows are closed and doors are locked. Easy peasy. I can relax.

In our village, it seems that every house is being "done" on a fairly systematic basis. Crime pays in Spain as the judicial system is total rubbish. Everyone they catch has 20, 30, 40 or more previous convictions.

Must get a gun.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 12:47 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avocados
The first thing I do when robbing houses is take the fuse out of the electricity box, lol.
Hola

Joking aside, I use two UPS in series to provide clean power to "my electrical corner" so even in a power cut my alarm system works as does a small light indoors which should make the burglars think twice

Davexf
Old Dec 27th 2017, 1:33 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

My system is entirely battery driven. The only mains connection is the control unit and that has battery backup. You even get an email to warn you the power is off.

The whole system can be controlled via the Internet and photos requested at any time.

The biggest exposure with Internet connected systems is the fact the the router is mains powered. Like Davefx I use a UPS on the PCs and router as our phone system is via the Internet. I also use one on of all the TV stuff. Apart from being a power supply, they usually incorporate very good over voltage, surge and spike protection.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 3:02 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avocados
In our village, it seems that every house is being "done" on a fairly systematic basis. ....
Perhaps you should move
Old Dec 27th 2017, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

I guess it depends to some extent on the type and location of the property. It is just possible that being away from town requires more security rather than less. Personal safety must loom larger as immediate help is less readily available. I much prefer to be murdered in a large city than all alone in the back of beyond!
Old Dec 27th 2017, 9:37 pm

You’re right there!

Tortured by Burglars | Costa Tropical Gazette News

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.