Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Marrying a Spanish woman..

Marrying a Spanish woman..

Old Jul 4th 2022, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

dooper will become famous soon enough
Default Marrying a Spanish woman..

This may sound a little bit of a crazy question and i'm not actively seeking a Spanish woman so its just a very general discussion.

Of course i have travelled in Spain many times and i love the country and the culture. I have an EU passport and enough money to go live there but im currently UK resident as i still earn my living here.

I just wonder how spanish women view men from the British isles be the English Irish Scottish or Welsh? Lets just say English for now to keep it simple?

What are their perceptions of English men ? (I exclude the legions of tourists who drink and cause problems)

What about cultural niceties' and differences? Do spanish women have strong preferences to marry Spanish men (or women)?

I'd be interested to hear readers personal experiences and general knowledge on the subject. Thanks you all..
Old Jul 4th 2022, 7:34 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying a Spanish woman..

Originally Posted by dooper
This may sound a little bit of a crazy question and i'm not actively seeking a Spanish woman so its just a very general discussion.

Of course i have travelled in Spain many times and i love the country and the culture. I have an EU passport and enough money to go live there but im currently UK resident as i still earn my living here.

I just wonder how spanish women view men from the British isles be the English Irish Scottish or Welsh? Lets just say English for now to keep it simple?

What are their perceptions of English men ? (I exclude the legions of tourists who drink and cause problems)

What about cultural niceties' and differences? Do spanish women have strong preferences to marry Spanish men (or women)?

I'd be interested to hear readers personal experiences and general knowledge on the subject. Thanks you all..
You may exclude the tourists but for many Spanish people these are used to colour their opinion of all Brits.

Rosemary
Old Jul 4th 2022, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Make an effort to learn the language and they will start to hate you less... it's a slow burn to make Spanish friends, although they are great.
Old Jul 4th 2022, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

dooper will become famous soon enough

My sisters husband is Spanish and they have lived in Spain for many years. I used to visit at least once a year and of course socialized with their friends and neighbours though not in the romantic sense as they tend to be married couples with children, so you dont always get the inside track. My Spanish isnt the best and needs work. It improves whilst im there but dwindles when i return of course due to lack of practice and necessity.
Although i'm not British , i can see why some my form negative opinions when observing the worst excesses of some Brits abroad.
Old Jul 5th 2022, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter where you come from and most people in Spain and other countries have their views based on what they know, hear and see. While we are focused on their views of the English, you could say that they don't seem to like Russians, Chinese, Romanians, Eastern Europeans in general and any other country that speaks Spanish is not liked. You also see a lot of negativity against people from African countries. Ironically a few Spanish people I know say that the country they dislike the most is Spain, just like it is with Brits who dislike Britain. Those who don't like mass tourism and have many German visitors will have their view on Germans and then there are others who look at the individual rather than their nationality. Those who do generalise and live in the Basque Country will probably have a different view than those living next to a tourist resort. The Spanish girls who fancy Ed Sheeran will probably marry you if you look like him.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 5th 2022 at 2:01 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2022, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Well who would you choose as James Bond, Boris Johnson or Pedro Sanchez?
Old Jul 5th 2022, 9:08 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
...The Spanish girls who fancy Ed Sheeran will probably marry you if you look like him.
Hey!! My luck might be in.

Would full-on marriage be an actual necessity or would a quickie round the back of the bike sheds be OK?
Old Jul 6th 2022, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Hey!! My luck might be in.

Would full-on marriage be an actual necessity or would a quickie round the back of the bike sheds be OK?
Be it marriage or your quickie, being Spanish she will have you by the ba...
Old Jul 11th 2022, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
You may exclude the tourists but for many Spanish people these are used to colour their opinion of all Brits.

Rosemary
I've just returned from Tenerife and I can see why they would think that way. I spent most of my time trying not to be heard speaking English so as not to be tarred with the same brush.

Where I live the locals have a better opinion of the Brits as the Dutch wear the loud-mouthed drunken yobbo crown. Where I lived in Italy it was the Americans, the Brits were just known as the strange people who wore shorts in winter and went to Lidl during strange times (1-3PM).

Back to the original question, in the cities I don't think they have a preference at all. Maybe in the small towns they could be a little more inclined to stick with their own, just as they do in the UK.
Old Jul 11th 2022, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
I've just returned from Tenerife and I can see why they would think that way. I spent most of my time trying not to be heard speaking English so as not to be tarred with the same brush.

Where I live the locals have a better opinion of the Brits as the Dutch wear the loud-mouthed drunken yobbo crown. Where I lived in Italy it was the Americans, the Brits were just known as the strange people who wore shorts in winter and went to Lidl during strange times (1-3PM).

Back to the original question, in the cities I don't think they have a preference at all. Maybe in the small towns they could be a little more inclined to stick with their own, just as they do in the UK.
Yes, here in Spain it seems to be the dutch (sorry) and a little the belges that are not the best "expats"... In France it was the brits to watch out for...

What happens to people when they leave their native lands to live elsewhere?
Old Jul 11th 2022, 9:31 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by growinspain
Yes, here in Spain it seems to be the dutch (sorry) and a little the belges that are not the best "expats"... In France it was the brits to watch out for...

What happens to people when they leave their native lands to live elsewhere?
It is not generally ex pats who give us all a bad name but the holiday makers who seem to lose all self control abroad.

Rosemary