Reload this Page >

Health Care in Spain

Health Care in Spain

Old Sep 30th 2017, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

chuzstok is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Care in Spain

Hi

Can anyone advise on the following. We presently live in the uk but are planning to move to Spain, we are aged 55 and 58 and are totally confused about the healthcare system in Spain. We are both on medication.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Regards

Keith & Peter
Old Sep 30th 2017, 3:14 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Care in Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 30th 2017, 3:29 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You have the following options, but bear in mind that having full medical cover is required for residency.

You can take out private cover, but that will not cover pre-existing conditions.

You can buy into the State system for €60 a month each, but only after 12 months of residency. Pre-existing conditions are covered.

Neither option includes meds.

When either of you get a UK state pension, you will have access to the Spanish state NHS including subsidised meds with a small co-payment.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Hi Rosemary

Thank you for your message

Regards

Keith and Peter
Old Sep 30th 2017, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
You have the following options, but bear in mind that having full medical cover is required for residency.

You can take out private cover, but that will not cover pre-existing conditions.

You can buy into the State system for €60 a month each, but only after 12 months of residency. Pre-existing conditions are covered.

Neither option includes meds.

When either of you get a UK state pension, you will have access to the Spanish state NHS including subsidised meds with a small co-payment.
Hi Fred

Thank you for your response. When you say after 12 months of residency does it include that we will be keeping either a post box (we have a chalet on a naturist site in the uk) also we may be keeping our home on for 12 months in case we don't settle etc?

Regards

Keith and Peter
Old Sep 30th 2017, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome. This has been hammered on the forum, have a search around, but Fred has it 'potted' You are too young for a S1 which will give you full NHS cover in Spain ( it all changed a while ago) so its private cover with existing conditions and any 'linked' matters exempted for the first year of residency, and to get residency in the first place. Sad but true.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

No you will need to be registered resident for 12 months and I think be on the padron for 12 months.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
No you will need to be registered resident for 12 months and I think be on the padron for 12 months.
Correct, we have done it. The OP's last post will not work I am afraid.