Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Malaga to Marbella - where best to buy a townhouse?

Malaga to Marbella - where best to buy a townhouse?

Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:06 am
Just Joined

brentster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Malaga to Marbella - where best to buy a townhouse?

Hi there, I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if this question has been asked before.

I'm moving from Australia to be closer to my kids who live in Europe. I have friends in San Pedro near Marbella, and am considering buying a 2 bed townhouse for around 170,000 Euros. I want to buy in an area that will be popular as a rental as I will be returning to Oz for a few months a year for the next 3 years to finish up some contract work. I'm 54 and have some savings behind me, so finding a job quickly is not a deal breaker (I realise how bad the job market is). I'm quite physically active and enjoy yoga, salsa dancing and cycling, so it's important that I have access to a yoga and dance studio. A traditional Spanish styled townhouse I think would be better as it would have charm, and not come with the monthly fees charged in urbanisations, but I'm open to others views on this. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by brentster; Sep 25th 2017 at 7:09 am.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:53 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Malaga to Marbella - where best to buy a townhouse?

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 25th 2017, 8:52 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I know a few absentee landlords and none of them make a profit renting. I know three who make a nice living managing rental properties on behalf of others.

You could do worse than San Pedro where your friends live.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
I know a few absentee landlords and none of them make a profit renting. I know three who make a nice living managing rental properties on behalf of others.

You could do worse than San Pedro where your friends live.
Haha, Thanks Missile
Old Sep 25th 2017, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brentster
Hi there, I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if this question has been asked before.

I'm moving from Australia to be closer to my kids who live in Europe. I have friends in San Pedro near Marbella, and am considering buying a 2 bed townhouse for around 170,000 Euros. I want to buy in an area that will be popular as a rental as I will be returning to Oz for a few months a year for the next 3 years to finish up some contract work. I'm 54 and have some savings behind me, so finding a job quickly is not a deal breaker (I realise how bad the job market is). I'm quite physically active and enjoy yoga, salsa dancing and cycling, so it's important that I have access to a yoga and dance studio. A traditional Spanish styled townhouse I think would be better as it would have charm, and not come with the monthly fees charged in urbanisations, but I'm open to others views on this. Thanks in advance.
Even townhouses tend to be in a community with fees ( shared pool, gardener etc ) unless you choose a completely detached residence.
San Pedro is an excellent centre for your plans and the town has a done a lot recently to brighten it all up. Further down the coast Estepona is also a good community. Other side of Marbella places such as Elviria also interesting.
The long term rental market is very buoyant as people have become more cautious about purchase but the short-term rentals are not going so well , huge choice, complicated legislation,tenants who run the aircon all day and leave the doors open etc etc
Old Sep 25th 2017, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Even townhouses tend to be in a community with fees ( shared pool, gardener etc ) unless you choose a completely detached residence.
San Pedro is an excellent centre for your plans and the town has a done a lot recently to brighten it all up. Further down the coast Estepona is also a good community. Other side of Marbella places such as Elviria also interesting.
The long term rental market is very buoyant as people have become more cautious about purchase but the short-term rentals are not going so well , huge choice, complicated legislation,tenants who run the aircon all day and leave the doors open etc etc
Thanks for your input. My kids are in Sweden, so I need to be to the East really of Marbella to be closer to the airport as I'll be flying up about once a month (or they down to Malaga). If I'm absent for 3 months in Australia, would that period qualify as long-term or short-term?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your input. My kids are in Sweden, so I need to be to the East really of Marbella to be closer to the airport as I'll be flying up about once a month (or they down to Malaga). If I'm absent for 3 months in Australia, would that period qualify as long-term or short-term?
The commute to the airport does not take long from San Pedro as the motorway link is good, the eastern side is more Elviria, Calahonda ( some lovely streets and wide range of properties ) although gets very over-crowded during the high season then La Cala de Mijas - very popular and not a lot of choice.

Three months does not qualify as long-term , I think it needs to be six months or more with a specific residential contract and an obligation to file tax returns every three months.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Came across this thread - hleps explain the differences between types of rental and what you have to do if you rent :

https://www.spain-holiday.com/rental...n-in-andalucia
Old Sep 27th 2017, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Came across this thread - hleps explain the differences between types of rental and what you have to do if you rent :
Thanks Loafing, very informative. It is difficult to know what area is popular for rentals, and also where to base myself. There appear to be some nice townhouses in Mijas Golf, but it looks like it is quite far to the beach so I don't know how appealing that would be.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Loafing, very informative. It is difficult to know what area is popular for rentals, and also where to base myself. There appear to be some nice townhouses in Mijas Golf, but it looks like it is quite far to the beach so I don't know how appealing that would be.
Up in the hills - three great golf courses but not a lot else