Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Making new friends in Spain on the Costa Calida

Making new friends in Spain on the Costa Calida

Old Jun 16th 2005, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Spanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really nice
Default Re: Making new friends in Spain on the Costa Calida

Originally Posted by maryg
Hi there,
I found this site today, and thought I'd jump right in.
We have just recently purchased a house in a smallish town, inland Murcia. We are planning to be living in Spain by the end of February 2006. There are a few odds and ends to tie up here and also a little TLC needed on the house.
We have friends on the coast at Torre and it's been said on more than one occasion that they find the other expats very nosy and gossipy. I suppose its inevitable with a small number of people....boredom sets in. The old saying 'get a life' springs to mind! I believe friends, true friends are a valuable commodity and not easy to find, but acquaintances can be interesting and helpful and good company.
We are looking forward to our new experiences living in a Spanish community with just a few other Brits in nearby towns to call on. I am learning Spanish at present and really enjoy it. I found that just by trying to speak in Spanish, that the locals were so much more friendly and helpful.
We did the 4 day tour trip looking at houses on urbanisations, and although they were lovely we felt we'd be claustrophobic, thats why we decided to come further inland and find somewhere away from the 'vampire Brits'. I can think of nothing worse than sitting in a Brit bar, paying double the price for a beer surrounded by glammed up sun worshippers that don't even say hello because you're not in their circle of friends or because we have a Black Country accent. Every Spanish bar/restaurant/truckers lay by we have been in, we have been welcomed and treated well.
My husband is 52 I am 46, we have many interests and plan to live the next 5 years as fully and pleasurably as possible. Why five years, because we have budgeted to live on our savings for that time in case work opportunities don't happen, if they don't we review our situation. We both have skills that will help us find work. And although neither of us intend to work full time once we come over, I don't personally feel I could give up work altogether, even if it means starting up a voluntary club (I am a breast cancer survivor) for local ladies.
I'm certain that a positive open frame of mind will help us find new friends, new interests and a new way of living. I will be advertising in the local papers so look out for me!
Mary Groom MICHT
Holistic Therapist
Also welcome and what a very good post.

Up the Black Country and the baggies!!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

Originally Posted by Spanishliferules
Also welcome and what a very good post.

Up the Black Country and the baggies!!
WHEY HEY!!!!!!!!!
WHAT A LOVELY BUNCH OF PEOPLE YOU ARE.
I was just talking to my husband about the site and how good it was......
Thanks all.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Spanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really nice

WHEY HEY!!!!!!!!!
Thanks all.

Mary
lets stop on one thread, lets make it a big un, like the little English Algarve Known as Costa Esuri. but especially for the expats whom wish for a life different, not England with sun. I don't know if you noticed, but I did post on a previous thread, go on the inspection trip, go back and find your place, just as you did, Talking of Black Country accents you will find most of what you hear in English in Spain is of southern sounding accent. Not saying they are all insecure, but on a whole us BC folk are more adventurous and independent, no silver spoons I suggest.

And let us all welcome expats here from all over Spain. Not just from one Community or region.

Where are you doing your Spanish, I have given up on Dudley college, need to advance the vocab not pass exams!

But then my friends (Spanish in Spain) only speak except one,Spanish, this good but sometimes frustrating.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 7:44 am
Just Joined

ranger tom is an unknown quantity at this point

Talking of Black Country accents you will find most of what you hear in English in Spain is of southern sounding accent. Not saying they are all insecure, but on a whole us BC folk are more adventurous and independent, no silver spoons I suggest.

Most of the accents I have to listen in my area, are people North Of Watford, mostly from Yorkshire, very few from the South as they consider Southern Spain a bit cheap and tacky.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ranger tom
Most of the accents I have to listen in my area, are people North Of Watford, mostly from Yorkshire, very few from the South as they consider Southern Spain a bit cheap and tacky.
!
Where are you from Tom?

My in-laws lived in Playa Flamenca La Zena, for many years and saw the place change and totally invaded by brits and Irish, crime rates went through the roof to the extent they didn't know any expat whom had not been a victim. However this was all petty stuff handbag snatching, thefts whilst on the beech, distraction thefts. I had many a good time with family and friends on this Costa.

Tom are you inferring Southern Spain in not good enough for the southern English?
Old Jun 17th 2005, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

matt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant future

Mary
lets stop on one thread, lets make it a big un, like the little English Algarve Known as Costa Esuri. but especially for the expats whom wish for a life different, not England with sun. I don't know if you noticed, but I did post on a previous thread, go on the inspection trip, go back and find your place, just as you did, Talking of Black Country accents you will find most of what you hear in English in Spain is of southern sounding accent. Not saying they are all insecure, but on a whole us BC folk are more adventurous and independent, no silver spoons I suggest.

And let us all welcome expats here from all over Spain. Not just from one Community or region.

Where are you doing your Spanish, I have given up on Dudley college, need to advance the vocab not pass exams!

But then my friends (Spanish in Spain) only speak except one,Spanish, this good but sometimes frustrating.

I am from the south of England - proud of my accent and where I am from - certainly not a snob. In my experience folk who want to be 'snobby' adopt a neutral accent and avoid their own regional accent. - do not confuse this with accent. No insecurity here. No silver spoon here - wish there was.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by matt begley
I am from the south of England - proud of my accent and where I am from - certainly not a snob. In my experience folk who want to be 'snobby' adopt a neutral accent and avoid their own regional accent. - do not confuse this with accent. No insecurity here. No silver spoon here - wish there was.
Hi All,

I am from London, with an apartment in Torrevieja Town Centre. I was replying to the comment about the silver spoon. I do have a couple of friends who turned their noses up a bit when they heard of the area I had purchased the property in. I assume they consider it to be like any seaside tourist area, ie: Blackpool etc. and not really for them, which is fine by me. A few people less looking for a free holiday. Matt I am also proud of my accent, even if it is a bit of mix between Irish and Cockney. No silver spoon here either. Looking forward to my next trip tomorrow for a week, I was going to say to the sun, but it is supposed to very sunny in the UK this weekend as well, although it is very overcast in London at the moment.

Tom
Old Jun 17th 2005, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ranger tom
Hi All,

I am from London, with an apartment in Torrevieja Town Centre. I was replying to the comment about the silver spoon. I do have a couple of friends who turned their noses up a bit when they heard of the area I had purchased the property in. I assume they consider it to be like any seaside tourist area, ie: Blackpool etc. and not really for them, which is fine by me. A few people less looking for a free holiday. Matt I am also proud of my accent, even if it is a bit of mix between Irish and Cockney. No silver spoon here either. Looking forward to my next trip tomorrow for a week, I was going to say to the sun, but it is supposed to very sunny in the UK this weekend as well, although it is very overcast in London at the moment.

Tom
Forgot to add, we have stayed at Playa Flamenca, La Siesta and Mar Azul. All were nice enough for a holiday and it was a good way of seeing different areas. In the end the town centre was the best area for us, no transport problems, plenty of shops and a better mix of nationalities.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

WHEY HEY!!!!!!!!!
Thanks all.
Black country, eh?

You'll be pleased to know that the Spanish have a nearly full complement of pork scratching types, from cortezas, through chicharrones, chicharritos, morro fritos and a couple of others. They tend to be less fatty and less seasoned than the UK ones, and whilst I've found some that are similar to Green Top Golden Crunch, I've got to say that there's nothing to beat the real Black Country scratchings with a pint.

When I get the chance to stock up or get friends to send some, I do. A visit to my folks soon should give me a chance to pop a few junctions up the M5 to get some.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

Mary

I'm doing my Spanish a Sandwell College WB campus, with a lovely tutor who is German. We are doing the Viva Espana course book and have just finished the first half. I admit it's very basic and aimed towards the tourist initially, but you get out of it what you put in to it..... I try and do some Spanish every day even if it's only reading through my dictionary or verb tables. I get my husband to read out the English word and I tell him the Spanish. I must admit the grammar side of things gets a bit difficult.....but my tutor assures us that it will all fall in place eventually. In September 2004 I couldn't speak a word of Spanish, now I can converse....albeit 'despacio'....with Spaniards who seem to really appreciate the fact that you try.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

I'm doing my Spanish a Sandwell College WB campus, with a lovely tutor who is German. We are doing the Viva Espana course book and have just finished the first half. I admit it's very basic and aimed towards the tourist initially, but you get out of it what you put in to it..... I try and do some Spanish every day even if it's only reading through my dictionary or verb tables. I get my husband to read out the English word and I tell him the Spanish. I must admit the grammar side of things gets a bit difficult.....but my tutor assures us that it will all fall in place eventually. In September 2004 I couldn't speak a word of Spanish, now I can converse....albeit 'despacio'....with Spaniards who seem to really appreciate the fact that you try.
Forgot to say......OWAMYA COCK, OWBINYA!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 4:05 pm
What mysterious smile?

La Joconde is an unknown quantity at this point

Am afraid you will have to translate this for me.
Sounds friendly but what is......OWAMYA COCK, OWBINYA!

We are from the South of England, from Wembley-Harrow, no accents not even cockney, no silver spoons, but a great deal of enthusiasm to live the good life to the full.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant future

Forgot to say......OWAMYA COCK, OWBINYA!
Nigerian? Senegalese? or is it a Spanglish dialect we have not discovered yet?
Old Jun 17th 2005, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

What do you reckon on the Viva Espana Mary? I have been using Pasos...bit dull to be honest and then listening to Michel Thomas which has been intense but it seems to stick a little more.

Grammar is my downfall too - when in Spain I try and have a go with it and ask them to correct me when I get it wrong.

Matt
Old Jun 19th 2005, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by matt begley
What do you reckon on the Viva Espana Mary? I have been using Pasos...bit dull to be honest and then listening to Michel Thomas which has been intense but it seems to stick a little more.

Grammar is my downfall too - when in Spain I try and have a go with it and ask them to correct me when I get it wrong.

Matt
Hi there,
I have found the Viva Espana very good to work with. I bought the text book and work book and have enjoyed doing the excercises. It covers the usual stuff....intoductions, food, clothes, proffesions, directions, the time, shopping, family, etc...the book covers two years worth of course work at our college. At the beginning of the course we videoed the accompanying programmes from tv, unfortunately my copy has got lost in a mountain of odds and sods destined for the inevitable car boot sale that never happens.
In class we do a lot of role play and practice speaking probably 80% of the time, which I really enjoy.
I looked at the Michael Thomas in WHSmiths the other day as I want to speed up with my vocabulary and try and get in front for when I go back to college in September as I know I probably wont finish the course as I am leaving work in February.
Anyhow, must get on......good luck with your Spanish....or should I say bueno suerte!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.