Majorca

Old Jan 30th 2007, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

georgina is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Majorca

We have finally decided to take the plunge and move to majorca. My husband will be working in the south west and we want to rent a property till we find our own.Any tips would be appreciated. This is my first time to this page.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:30 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Majorca

Originally Posted by georgina
We have finally decided to take the plunge and move to majorca. My husband will be working in the south west and we want to rent a property till we find our own.Any tips would be appreciated. This is my first time to this page.
Just to say that i love Mallorca, i have spent a lot of time there, mainly in Palma but have seen most of the island, its so beautiful and the people are bloody nice in general.
What is your OH planning to do?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:52 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah great place. Just big enough so that you don´t get that "island mentality". It´s got its blots on the landscape (eg Magaluf) but they are easily avoided! I forget the names of the places I have been to now, but some are really pretty. i think housing is pretty expensive though.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:55 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

What are you going to do about the language? They all speak some wierdo language there called Mallorquin. It´s a bit like a foreigner moving to North Wales. Which language would you study, Welsh or English?

If it were me, I would forget Mallorquin and learn proper castillian Spanish. At least you can use it when you go elsewhere, and the Mallorquins will be able to understand you in both languages.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

Check this out www.visitbalears.com

All about the islands

Big_john Spain
Old Feb 1st 2007, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Just to say that i love Mallorca, i have spent a lot of time there, mainly in Palma but have seen most of the island, its so beautiful and the people are bloody nice in general.
Agree it is a lovely island,my oh is joining a financial brokerage.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Originally Posted by keithwalters
Yeah great place. Just big enough so that you don´t get that "island mentality". It´s got its blots on the landscape (eg Magaluf) but they are easily avoided! I forget the names of the places I have been to now, but some are really pretty. i think housing is pretty expensive though.
Yes properties seem to be a bit more expensive than the mainland especially the areas where we like,unfortunately.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: Majorca

Originally Posted by keithwalters
What are you going to do about the language? They all speak some wierdo language there called Mallorquin. It´s a bit like a foreigner moving to North Wales. Which language would you study, Welsh or English?

If it were me, I would forget Mallorquin and learn proper castillian Spanish. At least you can use it when you go elsewhere, and the Mallorquins will be able to understand you in both languages.
Good advice,thanks.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

accommodation-in-spain is an unknown quantity at this point

Keith is right they do speak Mallorquin but they also speak the normal Spanish that you learn in the lessons here in the UK so don't panic.

I have going there since I was a little girl (won't tell you how old I am now ) and the locals are all really sweet, sometimes they do get a little bit funny if you don't speak Mallorquin but I can count the number of times this has happened on 1 hand. As long as you try to speak Spanish that is the main thing.

I am biased towards to the south-east of the Island and love Porto Colom and areas like that.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Majorca

Originally Posted by accommodation-in-spain
Keith is right they do speak Mallorquin but they also speak the normal Spanish that you learn in the lessons here in the UK so don't panic.

I have going there since I was a little girl (won't tell you how old I am now ) and the locals are all really sweet, sometimes they do get a little bit funny if you don't speak Mallorquin but I can count the number of times this has happened on 1 hand. As long as you try to speak Spanish that is the main thing.

I am biased towards to the south-east of the Island and love Porto Colom and areas like that.
Are the languages very different? Porto Colom is a favourite of ours as well but the south west will be more practical as that's where hubby will be working.Is there any Brits at all on the Island everyone seems to be mainland Spain?
Old Feb 4th 2007, 2:46 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

My only experience of Majorca was 2 holidays in Alcudia and Puerto Pollensa which were both absolutely beautiful .... in the late 70's. In Alcudia there were a handful of bars (including "the spotted dog" ) and one major hotel. No high rise to speak of ..... different now is it?
Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

accommodation-in-spain is an unknown quantity at this point

Funnily enough I was speaking to a Spanish friend yesterday who comes from Barcelona and she was saying that Mallorquin is very similar to their Catalan so if you learn this language (it is its own language as Welsh and Celtic is - don't dare say it is a form of Spanish my friend warned me )

Alcudia still has lovely beaches but is quite built up now and Puerto Pollenca is still gorgeous but there seems to be a lot of building work there now which is sad

My parents have a place in the hills near Felanitx (just under San Salvador) and we go out there every year at least once. I have bumped into several English people who live out there but I am not sure where you would go for an expat community in the area. I will have to ask my parents when they return as they are there at the moment lucky things !

Cala Dor seems to be a good place to bump into English people especially near the marina.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
My only experience of Majorca was 2 holidays in Alcudia and Puerto Pollensa which were both absolutely beautiful .... in the late 70's. In Alcudia there were a handful of bars (including "the spotted dog" ) and one major hotel. No high rise to speak of ..... different now is it?
Alcudia old town is still lovely but the rest is all high rise,pubs clubs,Puerto pollensa is still beautiful and hasn't been spoiled too much and perfect for family holidays.