Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

M.o.t. And insurance

M.o.t. And insurance

Old Apr 25th 2017, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: M.o.t. And insurance

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Provided you have a valid and current MOT and insurance - they won't accept foreign insurance.
We have a UK reg car that we tax online and it's insured in Spain with a Spanish company
Old Apr 25th 2017, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
We have a UK reg car that we tax online and it's insured in Spain with a Spanish company
To tax the vehicle online the online tax system does an automatic online insurance check, your insurance must be coming up on the national database otherwise the system would not let you tax the car. I can't see why an EU insurance company that records the data on the Uk vehicle insurance database would not be acceptable. There are a few UK car and motorbike insurances based in Gibraltar?
Old Apr 25th 2017, 9:14 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BobFord
Is it possible to stay in Spain without becoming a resident but live there full time?
No, is the simple answer, after 183 days in Spain you would be classed as tax resident and have to make tax declaration on your worldwide income, and also after 90 days you would be required to sign on the padron. Becoming resident is a simple and painless, and cheap operation.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 10:41 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
No, is the simple answer, after 183 days in Spain you would be classed as tax resident and have to make tax declaration on your worldwide income, and also after 90 days you would be required to sign on the padron. Becoming resident is a simple and painless, and cheap operation.

... not quite. If you are going to be here for more than 90 days, you are obliged to sign on the list of foreigners (at the extranjeria) and get your residency certificate.

Once resident in Spain, you should sign on the padron at your local town hall.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 10:42 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
To tax the vehicle online the online tax system does an automatic online insurance check, your insurance must be coming up on the national database otherwise the system would not let you tax the car. I can't see why an EU insurance company that records the data on the Uk vehicle insurance database would not be acceptable. There are a few UK car and motorbike insurances based in Gibraltar?
I'm not sure that the DVLA has access to foreign insurance databases - I could be wrong.

It's like when I was insured with Ibex (Gibraltar), no Spanish company could access their database so I had to have a letter from them proving NCB.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I'm not sure that the DVLA has access to foreign insurance databases - I could be wrong.

It's like when I was insured with Ibex (Gibraltar), no Spanish company could access their database so I had to have a letter from them proving NCB.
The point I am making is if the online tax system allowed Pete to tax his UK registered car with insurance from a Spanish company then that insurance must be recorded on the UK insurance database, otherwise it would not allow him to tax it? Maybe the Spanish company add it to the uk database because it is UK registered? But yes the uk online tax system will only check the UK insurance database.Certainly I had motorbikes UK insured with insurance company based in Gibraltar.

Last edited by bobd22; Apr 25th 2017 at 11:10 am.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

My car was on UK Plates insured through Abbeygate. When I matriculated it onto Spanish plates a new policy was issued because they cover UK cars through UK Regs and Spanish through the Spanish regulators
Old Apr 25th 2017, 1:06 pm
Looking to Live in Spain

BobFord is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to know.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 1:06 pm
Looking to Live in Spain

Does it have a Spanish MOT
Old Apr 25th 2017, 1:08 pm
Looking to Live in Spain

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Thanks I thought it would be a NO!
Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

"Originally Posted by Longlegpete View Post
We have a UK reg car that we tax online and it's insured in Spain with a Spanish company"
Good to know.
A UK registered car can only be MOT'd in the UK and is required to be MOT'd, taxed & insured (fully road legal) while in Spain.

The Spanish traffic police have access to the UK online databases and can verify whether your UK registered car is street legal from the roadside. Being stopped by the Spanish police while in a UK car without a MOT, would mean that the car would need to be matriculated onto Spanish plates (expensive) or trailered back to the UK for an MOT (expensive)......No tax or insurance would mean a hefty fine but fixable from within Spain.
Old May 5th 2017, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Apple1 is an unknown quantity at this point

giving andrew copland a shot on insurance ibeen quoted 675 in the uk lets see what they come back with
Old May 5th 2017, 9:04 am
Retired and loving it!

It wouldn't matter if it did or not. As a UK registered vehicle it MUST have UK road tax and a UK MOT.
Old May 5th 2017, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

mine has 13 month mot and continues direct debit road tax and i pay my insurance in full each year so i should be good hey as long as i have my european road saftey kit
Old May 5th 2017, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

well Andrew Copland is brilliant ... really cheap full cover for 12 months in spain fully comp on a 2.5 litre 4x4 28 days uk use 325 pounds wow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.