British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Long term rent/ Fixed work contract (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/long-term-rent-fixed-work-contract-911798/)

JoeG Apr 17th 2018 3:20 pm

Long term rent/ Fixed work contract

Hello,

Wondered if anyone could give me some advice.
We are arriving in Benidorm next week, myself and my partner are moving and we will both be working. We do not have a job yet but we do have interviews set up.

We are currently trying to get some accomodation sorted. Looking for a long term rent.

We have spoken to some estate agents and the situation seems to be that they will not consider us for a long term rent unless we have a fixed work contract, which we do not have YET. However, we have sufficient funds to cover the rent for the year.

After speaking to one estate agent he said we need a fixed work contract or pay the year rent up front.

Is there any way we can work around this in order to secure an accommodation without having to pay a year of rent?
We were hoping maybe we could offer 3 months rent and then deliver them a fixed work contact etc etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.
(We also have an appointment for an NIE, can we work whilst we are waiting for this?)
Thanks!

Rosemary Apr 17th 2018 4:05 pm

Re: Long term rent/ Fixed work contract

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

tebo53 Apr 17th 2018 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by JoeG (Post 12483466)
Hello,

Wondered if anyone could give me some advice.
We are arriving in Benidorm next week, myself and my partner are moving and we will both be working. We do not have a job yet but we do have interviews set up.

We are currently trying to get some accomodation sorted. Looking for a long term rent.

We have spoken to some estate agents and the situation seems to be that they will not consider us for a long term rent unless we have a fixed work contract, which we do not have YET. However, we have sufficient funds to cover the rent for the year.

After speaking to one estate agent he said we need a fixed work contract or pay the year rent up front.

Is there any way we can work around this in order to secure an accommodation without having to pay a year of rent?
We were hoping maybe we could offer 3 months rent and then deliver them a fixed work contact etc etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.
(We also have an appointment for an NIE, can we work whilst we are waiting for this?)
Thanks!

Hi,

What sort of jobs are you looking for? If it's bar work you will be struggling as most bars here have waiting lists a mile long with people wanting bar work and thats apart from brothers, sisters, cousins and friends already lined up!!
Work contracts are rarely given straight away.

There are plenty of short term rentals available but not necessarily in Benidorm itself.

Good luck

Steve

JoeG Apr 17th 2018 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by tebo53 (Post 12483533)
Hi,

What sort of jobs are you looking for? If it's bar work you will be struggling as most bars here have waiting lists a mile long with people wanting bar work and thats apart from brothers, sisters, cousins and friends already lined up!!
Work contracts are rarely given straight away.

There are plenty of short term rentals available but not necessarily in Benidorm itself.

Good luck

Steve

I have experience in food and beverage and my partner as a chef but we are happy to do any job we can find available really.
How secure is a short term? And what duration?

Thank you

tebo53 Apr 18th 2018 5:42 am

Originally Posted by JoeG (Post 12483784)
I have experience in food and beverage and my partner as a chef but we are happy to do any job we can find available really.
How secure is a short term? And what duration?

Thank you

Hi,

Like I said in my previous post, you will find it difficult to find good full time employment here in Benidorm. There are so many "Chefs, handyman and cleaners" plus people who will work for less money (on the black) available that employers take their pick. Most people on bar work are paid minimum wage and work long hours and mostly without contracts. There are a lot of staff laid off in the winter period. It's not like the "old days" when you could get a job as there are thousands of expats doing the same.

There are short term rentals available but you will have to be here and ready to sign on the dotted line as any apartment is in demand at this time of year and can be quite expensive. Many are used as holiday lets. You can usually find less expensive apartments just outside town. 1 bed apartments are around 400 euro plus electric per month and 2 bedroom apartments are around 500 euro per month plus electric.

Best thing to do is come to Benidorm on an extended fact finding holiday and weigh up apartments and jobs available.

Sorry to sound negative.

Best of luck.

Steve