Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Long term/permanent expats & Nationality

Long term/permanent expats & Nationality

Old Jul 30th 2016, 12:00 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long term/permanent expats & Nationality

I applied almost three years ago, I did this because I believed then that U.K. would leave the E.U.,or Spain would get kicked out of the E.U., or the E.U. would perhaps implode and cease to exist.

People then told me I was over reacting and that I was wasting my time and money, however earlier this year I was granted Spanish nationality, thus securing my future here. Regarding the cost, my D.N.I. card cost €10.60 and is for life, a Spanish passport will cost me €22 and is also for life.

The strangest thing is having an additional surname and consequently having to alter bank accounts etc.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 1:13 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boseley
I applied almost three years ago, I did this because I believed then that U.K. would leave the E.U.,or Spain would get kicked out of the E.U., or the E.U. would perhaps implode and cease to exist.

People then told me I was over reacting and that I was wasting my time and money, however earlier this year I was granted Spanish nationality, thus securing my future here. Regarding the cost, my D.N.I. card cost €10.60 and is for life, a Spanish passport will cost me €22 and is also for life.

The strangest thing is having an additional surname and consequently having to alter bank accounts etc.
Well done Boseley and congratulations on having dual nationality and protecting yourself from several potential problems.

I didn't understand the bit about the surname, do you have to give another surname in Spain? First Ive heard of that

Jon
Old Jul 30th 2016, 1:22 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Well done Boseley and congratulations on having dual nationality and protecting yourself from several potential problems.

I didn't understand the bit about the surname, do you have to give another surname in Spain? First Ive heard of that

Jon
Spaniards have two surnames, Antonio Reboso Quintero, Reboso is fathers surname, Quintero is mothers Surname, Antonio's children will be named Jose Reboso Bonilla, or whatever mums surname is. In my case my last surname is that of my mother.

Also when girls marry they do not adopt the husbands surname. Different country, different customs......
Old Jul 30th 2016, 1:27 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Spaniards have two surnames, Antonio Reboso Quintero, Reboso is fathers surname, Quintero is mothers Surname, Antonio's children will be named Jose Reboso Bonilla, or whatever mums surname is. In my case my last surname is that of my mother.

Also when girls marry they do not adopt the husbands surname. Different country, different customs......
Thanks for that explanation, owned property in Spain for a long time and never knew that!

Jon
Old Jul 31st 2016, 1:52 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

They don't in Italy either.

On the one hand it saves a lot of hassle and expense changing things about.
On the other, it can create confusion when you have kids. Because hardly anybody here knows what my actual surname is, I find myself ringing up places like schools, doctor's, dentist's etc. and never using my own name or a family name , but saying "hello, I'm so and so's mummy. Can I please make an appointment for a check up?"

It can get confusing when your child is best friends with a Chiara Rossi and then somebody rings up saying she is Barbara Bianchi and you're thinking "don't know anybody of that name" until Signora Bianchi is forced to explain that she is the mother of Chiara Rossi. And silly things like that.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 9:18 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
They don't in Italy either.

On the one hand it saves a lot of hassle and expense changing things about.
On the other, it can create confusion when you have kids. Because hardly anybody here knows what my actual surname is, I find myself ringing up places like schools, doctor's, dentist's etc. and never using my own name or a family name , but saying "hello, I'm so and so's mummy. Can I please make an appointment for a check up?"

It can get confusing when your child is best friends with a Chiara Rossi and then somebody rings up saying she is Barbara Bianchi and you're thinking "don't know anybody of that name" until Signora Bianchi is forced to explain that she is the mother of Chiara Rossi. And silly things like that.
Here in Belgium, there is no changing of names on marriage. Also in our generation and before, there are multiple names that often include the first name of each god parent. So if you are a guy, one of your multi-barrelled '2nd-names' will be female and vice versa.. so a minimum of 3 forenames, and possibly even more names as well, before the surname, which is always the fathers surname.

The current generation of parents aren't doing it as much.

Also in our extended family there have been a spate of births and hence grandparents, great uncles/aunts like my BH and I. One daughter has asked her mum to be the Godmother. I think that's a bit weird, personally, as I would say that Grandparent is already the most privileged position after parent.. with Godparent lower on the list... but she will be both.

Jon

So I could be Jon Oscar Kimberley Englebert Rimmington. Where Oscar and Kimberley are my god parents - and my parents liked crooners. That's no joke
Old Aug 7th 2016, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I think that's a bit weird, personally, as I would say that Grandparent is already the most privileged position after parent.. with Godparent lower on the list... but she will be both.

Jon
That's no joke
I don't know about "after" grandparents seem to be privileged to pay for everything but then there ain't no pockets in shrouds and the joy they bring is priceless!
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

lucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond repute

I`ve lived in Spain for 30+ years.After some 10 years here many ex-pats took on dual nationality which was a very simple thing at that time.Nowadays I believe you have to accept only Spanish nationality,maybe Boseley would confirm that.However,even though by that date ,my daughter,having grown up here,married a Spanish man & I have Spanish grandchildren now,I didn`t see any real reason to change.Especially as,in our business,we relocated people`s pets most often back to their home countries.It appeared that people of any nationality,having been very settled in their adopted country for many years,had the urge to return to die in their homeland.In fact one of the earliest "returns" involved 20 odd pets to go back to North America for an elderly American/Canadian couple.Another man missed going around Woolworths on a Saturday afternoon!I could write a book on amusing incidences concerning pet emigrants.You just don`t know where your future thoughts will lie,as we may well see now with Brexit.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 12:39 pm
Herreño

Originally Posted by lucilastic
I`ve lived in Spain for 30+ years.After some 10 years here many ex-pats took on dual nationality which was a very simple thing at that time.Nowadays I believe you have to accept only Spanish nationality,maybe Boseley would confirm that.
Re dual nationality,

To obtain Spanish nationality a person from the U.K. has to renounce U.K. nationality.

However whilst the Spanish now consider me to have only one nationality, Spanish.

The U.K. does not accept that I have renounced my U.K. nationality, (renunciation can only be effected at a formal hearing in the Foreign/Home office in London, England).

So in the eyes of the Spanish I am Spanish, but in the eyes of the U.K. I have dual nationality U.K. and Spanish.

One great advantage a Spanish passport will cost me €22,60 and will be for life
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Re dual nationality,

To obtain Spanish nationality a person from the U.K. has to renounce U.K. nationality.

However whilst the Spanish now consider me to have only one nationality, Spanish.

The U.K. does not accept that I have renounced my U.K. nationality, (renunciation can only be effected at a formal hearing in the Foreign/Home office in London, England).

So in the eyes of the Spanish I am Spanish, but in the eyes of the U.K. I have dual nationality U.K. and Spanish.

One great advantage a Spanish passport will cost me €22,60 and will be for life
Sorry but a Spanish passport and DNI is valid for ten years and has to be renewed -it is not for life. If you have a DNI check the bottom line on the front "Validez" - date it expires or in the string of numbers and letters at the bottom of the back of the DNI
Old Aug 24th 2016, 9:18 am
Herreño

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Sorry but a Spanish passport and DNI is valid for ten years and has to be renewed -it is not for life. If you have a DNI check the bottom line on the front "Validez" - date it expires or in the string of numbers and letters at the bottom of the back of the DNI
Well mine is for life, the D.N.I. expiry date is 01 01 9999, some how I do not think I will survive until 9999. I shall apply for a passport at the end of next month, and that, I am informed, will also be for life.

Different people different circumstances, others are for 10 years, mine is for life.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Well mine is for life, the D.N.I. expiry date is 01 01 9999, some how I do not think I will survive until 9999. I shall apply for a passport at the end of next month, and that, I am informed, will also be for life.

Different people different circumstances, others are for 10 years, mine is for life.
You are right, must be over 70 therefore !
Old Aug 24th 2016, 12:00 pm
Herreño

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
You are right, must be over 70 therefore !
Yep, I'm an old git
Old Sep 18th 2016, 3:58 am
Just Joined

Fluffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Even though I live in Australia, I have been following Brexit with keen interest as I spent 4 months in Manilva when I retired a couple of years ago and hope to spend my future winters there.
On the one hand you have a massive expat community that has made a commitment to Spain and that has been reciprocated by Spain for many years so it would be simple common sense to suggest that it would not be in either parties interest to change that. On the other hand, I try not to use the term "common sense" when referring to the EU.
I can appreciate that for those of you "in limbo" it must be interesting times and I wish you well.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Rufi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, as far as I know Spain doesn't actually have a dual nationality agreement with the UK. If you decide to get Spanish nationality you must give in your passport.What actually happens is that the Uk receive your passport and then send it back to you. I was told this at the British Embassy years ago. I would like Spain to have a dual nationality agreement with the UK, I believe that maybe this would be a step forward (Maybe=perhaps)!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.