Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Long term holidays v moving to Spain

Long term holidays v moving to Spain

Old Feb 19th 2017, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Long term holidays v moving to Spain

Husband and I..now spend 3 months in winter and 6 weeks from mid Sept in Almunecar. We rent a nice apartment. We love it, but although we would like to stay longer are always concerned about the hassles of moving here permanently because of our age 72 and 61.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 9:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long term holidays v moving to Spain

Age as well as any health issues, including the ability to keep on travelling play a big factor in your decision.

Suppose you could buy a place for €100,000, include all of the running & operating costs & issues.

Why would you do that?

Would it or wouldn't it be better to keep the €100,000 at home, then holiday as you wish, where you want, when you want to?

Last edited by not2old; Feb 19th 2017 at 10:00 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

If I was in the position again, knowing what I know now, I would NEVER EVER consider buying in Spain. I would rent for a couple of visits or more, totalling less than 183 days per year and retain my home in the UK.
Too late for me/us we are stuck here as we have lost so much on property that we could not afford to buy property in the South of England. We are from the North and would not go back there ever.

Last edited by lyric030250; Feb 19th 2017 at 10:17 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Age as well as any health issues, including the ability to keep on travelling play a big factor in your decision.

Suppose you could buy a place for €100,000, include all of the running & operating costs & issues.

Why would you do that?

Would it or wouldn't it be better to keep the €100,000 at home, then holiday as you wish, where you want, when you want to?

Yes I think that's probably the right move. But all the time we stay here we like it more.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 10:20 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyric050203
If I was in the position again, knowing what I know now, I would NEVER EVER consider buying in Spain. I would rent for a couple of visits or more, totalling less than 183 days per year and retain my home in the UK.

knowing what you know & given what the OP posted - what would you estimate the basic good, decent accommodation costs would be for two trips - one of 3 months, the other of 6 weeks (exclude flight cost)?

And any other factors why a senior should not buy in Spain?
Old Feb 19th 2017, 10:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Bridie55
Yes I think that's probably the right move. But all the time we stay here we like it more.
Holidaying is totally different than living in a place year round.

See if anyone jumps in on this that have stayed or moved back home for their different reasons
Old Feb 19th 2017, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Too late for me/us we are stuck here as we have lost so much on property that we could not afford to buy property in the South of England. We are from the North and would not go back there ever.
We sold our family home in the UK over 10 years ago and rent now. We have moved 3 times, our choice. Renting in Spain is cheaper than SE England and I love the property we rent in Spain. I just like the lifestyle and warmer (although not so much this year) than England
Old Feb 19th 2017, 10:28 pm
Dichotomus tinker

We sold our family home in the UK over 10 years ago and rent now. We have moved 3 times, our choice. Renting in Spain is cheaper than SE England and I love the property we rent in Spain. I just like the lifestyle and warmer (although not so much this year) than England
Are you considering the move to Spain because of the lower cost of living & would you buy in Spain or rent if you were to live in Spain year round?

Have you factored in healthcare costs & issues living in Spain?
Old Feb 19th 2017, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Are you considering the move to Spain because of the lower cost of living & would you buy in Spain or rent if you were to live in Spain year round?

Not really considered anything other than we would not buy. What made me post was a Dutch couple who are now longterm renting in the apartment next to ours. They have completely left Holland are a bit older than us and it just got me thinking as to why?
Old Feb 19th 2017, 10:40 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Not really considered anything other than we would not buy. What made me post was a Dutch couple who are now longterm renting in the apartment next to ours. They have completely left Holland are a bit older than us and it just got me thinking as to why?
Good luck with your decision

What do you reckon the cost per month would be for accommodations only part of living in Spain doing a 12 month rolling lease/rental - all in, including utilities, insurance, TV, Internet, telephone & anything else?

I wonder if your Dutch neighbour couple go back & forth to the Netherlands or some place else (travelling) on a regular basis?

Last edited by not2old; Feb 19th 2017 at 11:57 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

chicaescocesa is an unknown quantity at this point

Really interesting especially lyrics post about not selling up in U.K. We have already decided we will just rent abroad and either keep our UK house or sell it to buy more buy-to-lets. Money is probably safer in U.K.and don't want stuck with a property we can't sell. Not sure if this is 'right' or not but that's our initial thoughts. We are in a completely different age bracket though.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

I understand not wanting to live 'up north' I'm originally from Merseyside. We live in sunny Folkestone and it is very much on the 'up' with some of the cheapest rents in the SE. We like being by the sea and it is definitely warmer and drier than other parts of UK but still not Spain. It does mean we pay 2 lots of rent which we can afford at the moment and our rent in Spain is 600€ per month which includes water etc but not electricity.We have been told the rental is quite high but it is a nice apartment in a gated development.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would keep in the UK and rent it out. Always somewhere to return to and a bit of income.
We are 9 years down the road having retired at 58. We had a holiday apartment which we retired to. The plan was to get a house and sell the apartment. 5 years later, having bought and renovated a house, the apartment finally sold. We lost 30,000€ on the sale and it cost a further 20,000€ in CGT.
7 years on and circumstances change we are now wanting to downsize and have only one floor, due to Senior Management's health. Current valuations mean we will barely break even on eventual sale, and then there are the taxes on a purchase.
This is not the place to own, unfortunately SM will not rent.
Round here 600 pcm would rent a palace.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 9:57 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Given their ages, as one is of UK retirement age then they both would be able to register for Spanish healthcare and get the same as Spanish pensioners. You should be able to get a better deal for longer term rentals thn short term.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Need to take into account inheritance laws in Spain as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.