Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living and working in benidorm.

Living and working in benidorm.

Old Aug 16th 2012, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Liam B 22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living and working in benidorm.

Hi me and my girlfriend are 22 and are thinking of moving to benidorm for work, my current profession is security/doorman and I'm struggling to find any jobs of this sort in benidorm and I'm now thinking that I may not find a job. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me.

Thanks
Liam
Old Aug 16th 2012, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living and working in benidorm.

Hi Liam, welcome to the forum, may I suggest you read all the recent threads about just this subject of moving, Spain is in deep poop and there is little or no work for the Spanish, It is I am afraid unlikely you ill find work looking from UK, need to be here touting at doors, even then it will be very hard to find, sorry.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 11:50 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 16th 2012, 11:57 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liam B 22
Hi me and my girlfriend are 22 and are thinking of moving to benidorm for work, my current profession is security/doorman and I'm struggling to find any jobs of this sort in benidorm and I'm now thinking that I may not find a job. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me.

Thanks
Liam
My advice would be, if you have a job in the UK then dont leave it. Sadly, Spain has mass unemployment and a financial crisis - it dwarfs the UKs problems

Jo xxx
Old Aug 16th 2012, 12:02 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Liam
Are you seriously thinking of becoming a bouncer in Benidorm?

you will have have to deal with big hulking, built like brick shed, beer bellied, tattooed yobs, and the men are even worse.

Old Aug 16th 2012, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the polite replays, I didn't think it would be easy to find a job in benidorm well for what I want to do anyway but me and my girlfriend have just recently come back from benidorm but it was only when we got back we started talking about maybe moving out there. My girlfriend is a talented singer and many pub owners said she could make a good living singing around benidorm. But I think I'm going to struggle trying to get work, working on the doors in benidorm nightclubs.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 12:25 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the polite replays, I didn't think it would be easy to find a job in benidorm well for what I want to do anyway but me and my girlfriend have just recently come back from benidorm but it was only when we got back we started talking about maybe moving out there. My girlfriend is a talented singer and many pub owners said she could make a good living singing around benidorm. But I think I'm going to struggle trying to get work, working on the doors in benidorm nightclubs.

Hhhmmm, you and your girlfriend would have to have proof of income and health care provision before you could become residents and I would imagine that getting a contract singing would be hard, so she'd have to register as autonomo/self employed which would cost around 270€ a month regardless of taxes or income. Gone are the days of setting up in spain easily. I guess her first step would be to contact some of the agents who supply the hotels etc with entertainers

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Aug 16th 2012 at 12:31 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 4:12 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

All very well in the summer months but come the winter when tourists are thin on the ground it is an entirely different story. Your girlfriend could have a booking and turn up to find the bar empty or half full and be told "sorry, not enough people here we have to cancel" No money in lieu just a trip home and another wasted evening. We lived outside Benidorm but spent a lot of time there and had friends in the entertainment business, this is a regular occurance in the winter, no matter how good you are. Don't mean to burst your bubble but you need to know all the facts before making such a drastic decision. It isn't easy to get through the winter months if you can't support yourself, and by that I mean having some money in reserve.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Yeah we've thought about the winter months, the thing is nothing is set in stone it was just an idea that we'd love to do that's why I'm trying to get as much info as possible.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 7:36 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah we've thought about the winter months, the thing is nothing is set in stone it was just an idea that we'd love to do that's why I'm trying to get as much info as possible.
Don't be put off, life's an adventure and you are both still young. Enjoy life, make your own adventures and memories but stay grounded and listen to advice. You have taken the right steps by asking on here as you will get a lot of varying responses from people who view life in Spain differently according to their own experiences. Good luck to you both
Old Aug 16th 2012, 8:02 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Living and working in benidorm. (?)

Well there's a bit of an oxymoron.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 8:14 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried Benidorm Palace?
Old Jan 9th 2013, 1:22 am
Just Joined

grahamo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Liam
I say go for it....you can always start off propping and get talking to the right people then you never know what can coem of it....also if she gets some posters sorted et. im sure atleast one bar will take her on which brings in better money.....worth taking the chance id say just to see what comes of it...Im going back for my third season and ive never had trouble finding work...be it propping or not.

Good luck!
Old Jan 9th 2013, 6:45 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grahamo
I say go for it....you can always start off propping and get talking to the right people then you never know what can coem of it....also if she gets some posters sorted et. im sure atleast one bar will take her on which brings in better money.....worth taking the chance id say just to see what comes of it...Im going back for my third season and ive never had trouble finding work...be it propping or not.

Good luck!
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 9th 2013, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

savana1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my boyfriend and I currently live in Ibiza and have done for 3 years, however due to the recession and the season now only being 4 months not 6 we are looking to relocate, possibly to the mainland, i.e benidorm, so i was wondering if you could provide me with information on what it's like there job and house wise, we hold spanish residency, social security numbers and n.i.e numbers. we have had full time contracts here for 3 years so we have paid into the system and also have been able to claim unemployment benefits (ayuda) whilst here,
would it be the same in benidorm?
how long is the summer?
is spanish nessersary in all jobs?
how long is the season?
what type of wages can we expect?

thanks in advance for any help and tips x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.