Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living in Spain - the good things!

Living in Spain - the good things!

Old Sep 19th 2010, 4:45 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Spain - the good things!

Originally Posted by rachelk
Watch it, you
More witty banter? I notice no such posting when remarks go the other way, but then that's what I expect.

You'll notice I asked a question, didn't make a statement, and you reply thus. Perhaps my question was overly accurate for you?

Never mind.

"I must admit that although I love living in Spain, I get nostalgic when flying or driving back to the UK, anywhere in the UK. When the first greenery comes into view, I’m happy and using the first cashpoint is a real pleasure without the exchange rate to worry about.

The pleasure is slightly dampened when paying an exorbitant price for a cup of mediocre coffee served by an unfriendly face - this happened to me at Stanstead recently. But the pleasure and excitement usually persists for a few days, and then I want to feel the sun on my face again and I miss drinking a real coffee in a Spanish bar, even with cigarette butts littering the floor and the TV on at danger levels.

The waitress may look grumpy at first sight, but the way she walks makes up for it, and when I leave a decent tip all is forgiven."

As regards going back to the UK, nope. Perhaps I haven't been here long enough to build up a proper back pressure of nostalgia, and then again, maybe the way I am, I never will.

OK, so it's green all the year round, but that's the result of a wet climate, something I hate.

We'll just have to see, I guess.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

It was a joke, bil.

(as I hope was your orignal remark)
Old Sep 19th 2010, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Ignoring the recent posts.

For someone who is always banging on about treating people how you find them, isn't this a tad hypocritical and racist?
I was putting myself up as a target to test the reactions but am surprised how mild they are perhaps I should have pretended to be a Jewish, gypsy homosexual who didn't want English neighbours.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 5:33 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
I was putting myself up as a target to test the reactions but am surprised how mild they are perhaps I should have pretended to be a Jewish, gypsy homosexual who didn't want English neighbours.
I have to say, for the vast majority of the English they don't really have a problem with the Scottish at all, most would happily support self rule etc and most happily support the Scots in some sports... I know in rugby the vast majority of English fans want the Scots to do well... what pisses most of the English off is the constant references to the past and the hatred that many Scots direct towards the English... its all history and no one, and I really do mean NO ONE came out of the whole sorry mess without blood on their hands.... the same goes for the Irish. I am yet to meet an English person (well aside from Sun readers) who see any point in having NI as part of us.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 5:35 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the length of your stay in Spain makes a difference to the amount of nostalgia when returning to the UK, but I’m not so sure about that. I remember standing on the deck of a ferry leaving Dover harbour and waving goodbye to the white cliffs (having made sure that there was nobody looking). Things went wrong and only a few months later I was back again, and felt nostalgic when the white cliffs came into view.

Then there came a time when I was making regular trips back and forth and felt nostalgic each time I saw the greenery of the UK and the barren brownness of Malaga, my Spanish location at that time.

I suppose it’s all in the mind, someone mentioned Plaza Mayor in Madrid only a couple of days ago, and when I read it I immediately wanted to go back there because it’s one of my favourite places. I haven’t been to Denia for a while, nor Javea, nor Valencia, nor Malaga – and I’ve just been reminded why, two dogs who miss us when we go away, and they’re telling me that it’s time to go out on the terrace to throw their balls.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I have to say, for the vast majority of the English they don't really have a problem with the Scottish at all, most would happily support self rule etc and most happily support the Scots in some sports... I know in rugby the vast majority of English fans want the Scots to do well... what pisses most of the English off is the constant references to the past and the hatred that many Scots direct towards the English... its all history and no one, and I really do mean NO ONE came out of the whole sorry mess without blood on their hands.... the same goes for the Irish. I am yet to meet an English person (well aside from Sun readers) who see any point in having NI as part of us.
I would happily give back Northern Ireland, Gibralter and the Falklands to whoever are their rightful owners as we did with all our colonies and Spain could give up Ceuta and Melilla.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 7:23 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I would happily give back Northern Ireland, Gibralter and the Falklands to whoever are their rightful owners as we did with all our colonies and Spain could give up Ceuta and Melilla.
Taking the ‘giving-back’ to its logical conclusions, more than half of the population of NI would have to return to Scotland. Worse than that, almost the entire population of Australia would have to return to the UK, and return to prison.

If the US was cleared, it gets a bit more complicated, Europe’s population would swell to impossible proportions as would the West Coast of Africa.

You can bend history all you like, everybody does, but if you read the cold, hard facts, silence is golden.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HBG
Taking the ‘giving-back’ to its logical conclusions, more than half of the population of NI would have to return to Scotland. Worse than that, almost the entire population of Australia would have to return to the UK, and return to prison.

If the US was cleared, it gets a bit more complicated, Europe’s population would swell to impossible proportions as would the West Coast of Africa.

You can bend history all you like, everybody does, but if you read the cold, hard facts, silence is golden.
We're talking towns and distant islands not people. Ask the government how much it costs to maintain these outposts it would certainly solve a lot of financial problems in Great Britain if the money was used for other things.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 6:26 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

We're talking towns and distant islands not people. Ask the government how much it costs to maintain these outposts it would certainly solve a lot of financial problems in Great Britain if the money was used for other things.
What about the oil fields round the Falklands? Why should the UK give them away?

Plus, if we were all repatriated, wouldn't we all end up somewhere in Africa?
Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Perhaps you can tell where I can read up on this and I can throw away all my old history books.
You don't need to throw them away, Just read them or watch TV, there was a programme on just this subject a couple of months ago. Think it was called the Black Caesar or something who marched into Scotland and decimated the Scots because they defeated one of the Legions. He was a member of the ethnic minorities and ruled the Roman Empire.

For those who think the Normans only beat the English there was a series on how they ruled most of Europe.

The information is there but seems most of you don't choose to use it.

Jim
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

The-Icon is an unknown quantity at this point

a very interesting thread this

i'm looking to move to spain shortly, it really will be a get up and go deal. like most people, am after a fresh start, something new, a new life. sick of the UK.

I'm young, (22) so i will be wanting to work obviously. what is Spain like for work? will this be a problem? i have good qualifications, i have diplomas in IT. I've worked in Retail, Sales, done building work, ran my own company. so i think I've got a broad range of experience for different work areas. i have a driving license.. always a bonus?

i will pretty much do anything.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The-Icon
a very interesting thread this

i'm looking to move to spain shortly, it really will be a get up and go deal. like most people, am after a fresh start, something new, a new life. sick of the UK.

I'm young, (22) so i will be wanting to work obviously. what is Spain like for work? will this be a problem? i have good qualifications, i have diplomas in IT. I've worked in Retail, Sales, done building work, ran my own company. so i think I've got a broad range of experience for different work areas. i have a driving license.. always a bonus?

i will pretty much do anything.
But do you speak Spanish? With so many unemployed Spanish seeking work then Spanish employers are more likely to favour their own.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:25 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St. John
But do you speak Spanish? With so many unemployed Spanish seeking work then Spanish employers are more likely to favour their own.
Absolutely. Plus even the Romanians, Morrocans, Bulgarians you'll find here will also have learnt spanish, so be above you in the pecking order. Never mind those with native Spanish capabilities like the Colombians, Ecuadorians etc
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St. John
Little to do with "favouring their own" in my experience and everything to do with it being impossible to hire someone who doesnt speak fluent Spanish.

People just have to imagine the reverse happening in Britain. Would you hire someone who could barely speak English? Maybe to pick potatoes, but nothing else.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:57 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Little to do with "favouring their own" in my experience and everything to do with it being impossible to hire someone who doesnt speak fluent Spanish.

People just have to imagine the reverse happening in Britain. Would you hire someone who could barely speak English? Maybe to pick potatoes, but nothing else.
I saw a news article on the building of the 4 towers in Madrid. The main point of the article was there were only 2 native Spanish construction workers working on the tower at that point- all the others were from other countries eg Rumania, Russia, Morroco, Ecuador etc. Oh, and Portuguese - there seemed to be a few Portuguese. There weren't any Brits or Irish interviewed in the programme (they only had time to interview 3 or 4 people) so I don't know if any actually worked there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.