Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Live in Spain, work in UK, some clarification please!

Live in Spain, work in UK, some clarification please!

Old Apr 18th 2017, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

flytotherainbow99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Live in Spain, work in UK, some clarification please!

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread but it's a very similar topic so not so much point making a brand new thread.

How about in the situation where you are self employed (with property owned or rented in the UK)... If you have moved to Spain, are self employed (registered as autonomo in Spain) but some work is for UK clients. This work is done remotely from Spain. if the payments for said work were made into a UK bank account, rather than a Spanish one, would this make it liable for UK tax?

Or can the money just be moved to Spain when needed and then pay tax and social security in Spain?
Old Apr 19th 2017, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flytotherainbow99
Hope I'm not hijacking your thread but it's a very similar topic so not so much point making a brand new thread.

How about in the situation where you are self employed (with property owned or rented in the UK)... If you have moved to Spain, are self employed (registered as autonomo in Spain) but some work is for UK clients. This work is done remotely from Spain. if the payments for said work were made into a UK bank account, rather than a Spanish one, would this make it liable for UK tax?

Or can the money just be moved to Spain when needed and then pay tax and social security in Spain?
It's all about residence - if you have "left" the UK in the correct way, are resident in Spain more than 183 days then you stop paying tax in the UK and the Spanish taxman will want his share of your UK income
Old Apr 25th 2017, 7:16 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flytotherainbow99

If you are working in Spain and registered as autonomo then no matter where your clients are based (or how or where they pay you) you are subject to the Spanish tax system on your worldwide income

Also I think UK property rentals are subject to UK tax (a caveat in the bilateral tax agreement) but would still have to be declared on your Spanish tax return showing UK tax had been paid. Contact HMRC for confirmation as this and your Spanish accountant
Old Jun 26th 2017, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Toniroser is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Can someone please give me a some advice on how I go about paying social security voluntarily..

Our situation at the moment is we are making the move to Spain in August this year. We bought a house with no mortgage last year and have now decided to make the move to Spain. We have 2 children and my husband will not be working. We are planning on taking out medical insurance. I am employed part time by a uk company working remotely on the internet training customers. I contacted hmrc and they said when i complete the p85 form print it out and write a covering letter stating the need for an nt tax code, I would not pay tax in the uk but pay all in Spain.

I have read several forums and social security keeps being mentioned, how do I pay this without being autonomo or getting my employer involved with setting up a virtual
Office in Spain to pay it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old Jun 26th 2017, 5:05 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toniroser
Hi,

Can someone please give me a some advice on how I go about paying social security voluntarily..

Our situation at the moment is we are making the move to Spain in August this year. We bought a house with no mortgage last year and have now decided to make the move to Spain. We have 2 children and my husband will not be working. We are planning on taking out medical insurance. I am employed part time by a uk company working remotely on the internet training customers. I contacted hmrc and they said when i complete the p85 form print it out and write a covering letter stating the need for an nt tax code, I would not pay tax in the uk but pay all in Spain.

I have read several forums and social security keeps being mentioned, how do I pay this without being autonomo or getting my employer involved with setting up a virtual
Office in Spain to pay it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 12th 2018, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Hilldweller is an unknown quantity at this point

The info in this thread has been really useful thanks.

I wondering about the mention of the need to have a permanent UK residence/address in order to be resident in Spain yet working for a UK company actually in the UK. Why is this necessary if it is so? Plenty of people work across borders in this day and age and the need for a permanent residence in 2 countries seems particularly prohibitive. My husband works for a UK company and we own a home in Spain and will move there soon. His company plans to keep him employed in the UK whereby he hops on a plane for 5 days a month, staying in hotels and using the company pool car or a hire car to undertake business with UK hospitals. The rest of the month he will work remotely from his home office in Spain. Why would he need a UK residence in a case like this? If you can receive UK pensions and social security benefits legitimately from the UK without a permanent residence there why can't you receive any other income in the same way and what is the onus on the company in cases like these?
Old Feb 13th 2018, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hilldweller
My husband works for a UK company and we own a home in Spain and will move there soon. His company plans to keep him employed in the UK whereby he hops on a plane for 5 days a month, staying in hotels and using the company pool car or a hire car to undertake business with UK hospitals. The rest of the month he will work remotely from his home office in Spain.
Social security arrangements within the EU are goverened by EU treaties, and the decision on individual cases is made by HMRC in line with EU directives.

The basic rule on social security is that you must pay into, and are covered by, the social security system of the EU state where you live and work. There are special rules that apply to cross border workers and detached workers, ie when you live in one state and work in another, or work in various states, or are sent abroad temporarily. (The UK may or may not continue to be part of these arrangements post-Brexit.)

He/his employer needs to apply to HMRC, which entails filling in a form explaining the background and his expected working pattern.

If HMRC decide that he meets the criteria as a "cross border worker" or frontalier, as defined by the EU, they'll agree to him continuing to pay NICs and they'll issue the documents he needs to cover the family's healthcare in Spain. In making the decision they look at various factors, one of them being, do you have permanent access to accommodation in the UK. But that's not the only factor they take into account.

If HMRC feel the connection with the UK isn't sufficient to qualify, they won't issue the paperwork, he won't continue paying NICs and he will have to join the Spanish social security system.

Don't forget, the NHS is basically residence-based, so unless HMRC agrees otherwise, entitlement to NHS cover stops when you leave the UK.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 7:21 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hilldweller
The info in this thread has been really useful thanks.

I wondering about the mention of the need to have a permanent UK residence/address in order to be resident in Spain yet working for a UK company actually in the UK. Why is this necessary if it is so? Plenty of people work across borders in this day and age and the need for a permanent residence in 2 countries seems particularly prohibitive. My husband works for a UK company and we own a home in Spain and will move there soon. His company plans to keep him employed in the UK whereby he hops on a plane for 5 days a month, staying in hotels and using the company pool car or a hire car to undertake business with UK hospitals. The rest of the month he will work remotely from his home office in Spain. Why would he need a UK residence in a case like this? If you can receive UK pensions and social security benefits legitimately from the UK without a permanent residence there why can't you receive any other income in the same way and what is the onus on the company in cases like these?
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 13th 2018, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Expats from outside Europe who return to the UK to use NHS hospitals will be billed for 150 per cent of the cost of treatment if they don't have sufficient insurance. Treatment remains free for those with a European Health Insurance Card (Ehic) and UK state pensioners living in the European Economic Area (EEA).
Old Feb 13th 2018, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Also remember that yes, thousands of people cross borders every week during their course of work. In the EU (as you suggest the borders in your case lie)
there is currently free movement for British citizens in the EU and EU citizens coming to the UK. After next year, this could NOT be the case for any UK citizen or a EU resident entering the UK. The'good old days' look like they could be numbered.

Last edited by lurchio; Feb 13th 2018 at 11:31 am.