Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

life here after brexit

life here after brexit

Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: life here after brexit

NI
Originally Posted by KieronF
And, of course, therein lies the problem. Neither side of the debate knew themselves what the reality of 'Brexit' might be - the politicians were as much in the dark as the electorate were and the fact that the arguments did not follow part political lines confused the issue even more. The electorate did not feel able to put their faith in the rhetoric of one party over another because all of the parties were infighting and offering confused messages to the public.

In trying to decipher the facts the electorate were forced to put undue reliance on the opinions of so-called 'experts' - the Chancellor being one, the Governor of the Bank of England another, but even they were just making it up as they went along with agendas and reputations to protect. What the public were left with was a mass of confusing and often conflicting guesswork dressed up as factual information and they were left to forage through all that in order to arrive at an opinion.

Families or other groups that might normally have been expected to vote together were splintered, opinions formed from media sources or experiences from the distant past - but however they voted, the outcome was a slender majority for the UK to leave the EU. Even today there is still confusion. By calling a snap election the PM is preparing to lay down fresh markers for freedom of movement that were not on the table just a week or so ago. The Brexit process, much like the debate that surrounded the referendum, is shrouded in confusion, it is an evolving process with the aims and goals of the UK and the EU changing over time depending on public opinion and political expediency - so anyone who imagines they can see into the future and predict with any accuracy what is going to be the final outcome is, frankly, deluding themselves.
Well put Kieron
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:52 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I agree. It's seems clear to me that most people voted (on both sides) without having any idea of what brexit will really mean.
Simply because we didn't and still do not know (and I do not believe the politicians know either)
There is a difference between voting to leave on the basis of false premises with the naïve assumption of no negative consequences (despite all evidence to the contrary), and voting to remain, already knowing the consequences (or lack of them).

It was sold on sensationalised irrational political emotion, and little else. And the historical record illustrates that clearly. But it's too late to look back.

The blame game has already begun. If it isn't the "remoaners", it's the EU, or the "saboteurs" in Parliament. In any case, somebody's to blame, and it isn't "us". Now just shut up and accept whatever Brexit really meant. It's freedom, you know. Are you against that?
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

IGM,good to hear you are confident about your future,however it is not good to moan about what you inherited from older generations.Some of us grew up during a world war but I,m not going to blame the Luftwaffe for never having an original birth certificate because our home was bombed.I have had my own business in UK & Spain so can compare situations especially as I came here before Spain joined the EU.It was a breath of fresh air when,because of that,to see young families being able to relocate here without having to go through the endless procedures we had to do,& that was despite buying an existing Spanish owned business.One condition was that a Spanish national had to be offered any employment vacancy first.That certainly went out once Spain joined the club.Once the UK leaves it will be difficult for British youngsters to come to Europe on spec.unless they have good recognised qualifications(an E pass in IT might not suffice)& language skills,to have the job opportunities that have been there previously.It would be interesting to hear from you about where you are & what you do at present.I have grandchildren living on the south coast & in Scotland & Wales & want them to continue to have,in their careers,the same freedom of movement enjoyed by so many(of YOUR generation I guess)up till Brexit.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

lgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I agree. It's seems clear to me that most people voted (on both sides) without having any idea of what brexit will really mean.
Simply because we didn't and still do not know (and I do not believe the politicians know either)
Of course the fine details could never be known. No country had left the EU before, how could the pedantic details be known?

However the salient points, i.e. stopping the free movement of people, leaving the single market and stopping paying the extortionate annuals subscriptions were absolutely known and exactly what those of us wanted stopped.

How it happens is irrelevant.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

lgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
Demographically you're in a minority. Totally entitled to your opinion. But again wasn't just speaking about you, was referring to the general voting pattern across the ages, okay? 😉
And demographically you too are in a minority. And equally entitled to your opinion.

I was still correct to opine that for forty years the expansion of the EU and the inexorable drive towards a single German controlled united states of Europe was accepted by the UK on a stealth basis.

We were asked back in the early 70's to join a trading community.....which for the record I would vote for again.

We NEVER voted for social, political, legal and economic union.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dougal03
IGM,good to hear you are confident about your future,however it is not good to moan about what you inherited from older generations.Some of us grew up during a world war but I,m not going to blame the Luftwaffe for never having an original birth certificate because our home was bombed.I have had my own business in UK & Spain so can compare situations especially as I came here before Spain joined the EU.It was a breath of fresh air when,because of that,to see young families being able to relocate here without having to go through the endless procedures we had to do,& that was despite buying an existing Spanish owned business.One condition was that a Spanish national had to be offered any employment vacancy first.That certainly went out once Spain joined the club.Once the UK leaves it will be difficult for British youngsters to come to Europe on spec.unless they have good recognised qualifications(an E pass in IT might not suffice)& language skills,to have the job opportunities that have been there previously.It would be interesting to hear from you about where you are & what you do at present.I have grandchildren living on the south coast & in Scotland & Wales & want them to continue to have,in their careers,the same freedom of movement enjoyed by so many(of YOUR generation I guess)up till Brexit.
I wasn't moaning about what I inherited from older generations, I was stating that it is facile to bleat about how we will impact on the current young generation because of the decisions we make today if we cannot learn from the mistakes of our own past.

I find it odd you think I am not allowed to mention the wrong that was imposed on me when I truly believe that we as a nation would have been much better off outside the EU as it is today.

I have not "enjoyed" freedom of movement, I have been a victim of freedom of movement. As a self employed builder, when I have to compete with eastern europeans with no fixed abode, no taxes to pay, no insurance, no vehicle insurance or tax, people who seem able to claim in work benefits because they work for nothing.....that is exactly why the system is broken and there are hundreds of thousands like me for whom free movement does not mean ease of living abroad or ease of going on holiday, it means suppression of wages and impoverishment.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LouisB
Until you build the TARDIS it's probably worth cutting out the fantasy that Britain will be like the good old days, ruling the world on boats, drinking tea in India while controlling the captured commonwealth nations. The world continues to move on, there is no going back, regardless.
Never said any of that. Go back and read it.

But if your only retort is to make stuff up......
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by amideislas
It's not "my" idea. It's a matter of public historical record.
Utter garbage.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by amideislas
Would you happen to be another one of those with the brilliant idea to live the high life by spending your life savings on a bank-owned bar on some side street in Costa del Brit?
No.

Any more weird ideas you'd like to share?

Or do you have anything positive or interesting to add to the debate?
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:52 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgm1963
Of course the fine details could never be known. No country had left the EU before, how could the pedantic details be known?

However the salient points, i.e. stopping the free movement of people, leaving the single market and stopping paying the extortionate annuals subscriptions were absolutely known and exactly what those of us wanted stopped.

How it happens is irrelevant.
That fad is going out of style now. Unfortunately, Britain will be stuck wearing outdated fashion for the foreseeable future.

But I sense even that won't be satisfactory. It seems the Brexiteers were shooting for something more like a 70's motif. But they're not gonna get that either. That old stuff has long since been tossed in the bin.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tuhler
Uk now has 15 ships in the RN...less than 50k troops...22 fighter aircraft....lets rule the waves...UK for ever
How on earth do you take from my post that I think we will go back to empire building?

The point was, and I will try to make it using words as small and easy to understand as possible, was that Britain punches well above its weight as a nation and an economy and will do so always because of the talents and endeavours of its peoples.

Simples.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:00 pm
Banned

Utter garbage.
Yeah, well, Obama is a Muslim and started Isis, 70 million Turks secretly live in Manchester, taking all British jobs and living on benefits, the moon landing was a fake, Cameron is a gay German nazi cross-dresser, the EU will crumble without Britain, and the Daily Mail is a Pulitzer prize icon of respectable journalism...
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Lgm this is an expat forum and living in Spain thread therefore not surprising to that most opinions do relate to that and freedom of movement etc. Yes we must all accept the affects on UK but to ignore expats and their issues in relation to this situation but join a forum and negatively comment on their views and debate is really little more than trolling. As for east European builders etc good and bad in all walks of life. One assumes that their are no dodgy home grown builders ? Home grown drivers that don't tax and insure their vehicles? I can assure you from personal experience that is not the case. You seem bitter in reality that people can and have moved / retired to warmer climates?
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't moaning about what I inherited from older generations, I was stating that it is facile to bleat about how we will impact on the current young generation because of the decisions we make today if we cannot learn from the mistakes of our own past.

I find it odd you think I am not allowed to mention the wrong that was imposed on me when I truly believe that we as a nation would have been much better off outside the EU as it is today.

I have not "enjoyed" freedom of movement, I have been a victim of freedom of movement. As a self employed builder, when I have to compete with eastern europeans with no fixed abode, no taxes to pay, no insurance, no vehicle insurance or tax, people who seem able to claim in work benefits because they work for nothing.....that is exactly why the system is broken and there are hundreds of thousands like me for whom free movement does not mean ease of living abroad or ease of going on holiday, it means suppression of wages and impoverishment.

I think there are always two sides. The British customer most certainly did win from freedom of movement.... lower prices and having a lot of competent and diligent Eastern Europeans builders to chose from. Now the British customers are stuck with you. Ahh, the irony
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobd22
Lgm this is an expat forum and living in Spain thread therefore not surprising to that most opinions do relate to that and freedom of movement etc. Yes we must all accept the affects on UK but to ignore expats and their issues in relation to this situation but join a forum and negatively comment on their views and debate is really little more than trolling. As for east European builders etc good and bad in all walks of life. One assumes that their are no dodgy home grown builders ? Home grown drivers that don't tax and insure their vehicles? I can assure you from personal experience that is not the case. You seem bitter in reality that people can and have moved / retired to warmer climates?
Hi Bob, no I joined the forum because I am in the process of buying a property on the Costa Blanca with a view to semi retiring there. There is no barrier to any nationality buying property in Spain. If Brexit means I have to apply for citizenship, or go through the non-EU lane at an airport when I go to visit my holiday home, then so be it.

Wishing to leave the institution that is the EU does not equate to hating Europe, or the people of Europe, or not liking going on holiday to Europe.

They are not the same thing. At all.

As for your comment about good or bad builders, I did not at any time infer that EU builders are dodgy, far from it they are skilled and professional. The point was that they can easily escape a wide range of expenses that a British builder is liable for......as you are probably well aware if I didn't tax or insure my vehicle then I would be liable to prosecution because I am legally obliged to do so. A Polish builder with a Polish registered van does not have the same obligation. The same is true for many other business expenses that make competition unfair. But you probably knew all that when you were typing out your reply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.