Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

life here after brexit

life here after brexit

Old Apr 19th 2017, 5:37 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: life here after brexit

I reckon you're right about others...

It's probably just me. I can't remotely imagine any rationale for returning. For me, it would mean simply paying more for less. What would be the logic in that?
Old Apr 19th 2017, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree if fit and healthy with sufficient funds to deal with whatever may come? But I know quite elderly people who have quite serious medical conditions should the healthcare go there is no way they could afford private cover. Even if they could with such serious pre existing conditions they would not be covered. If worst happens in the end their only hope is the convention especial but given age quite expensive and with no discount on prescriptions that may just not be suitable. Sadly some very worried people around even if they don't let on!
Old Apr 19th 2017, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I would agree if fit and healthy with sufficient funds to deal with whatever may come? But I know quite elderly people who have quite serious medical conditions should the healthcare go there is no way they could afford private cover. Even if they could with such serious pre existing conditions they would not be covered. If worst happens in the end their only hope is the convention especial but given age quite expensive and with no discount on prescriptions that may just not be suitable. Sadly some very worried people around even if they don't let on!

Those are the people we should be most concerned about and they should be given the facts as soon as possible, its the only way.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio

Those are the people we should be most concerned about and they should be given the facts as soon as possible, its the only way.
Very true
Old Apr 19th 2017, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
The majority had no clue what brexit meant. Brexit means Brexit means nothing.

Remaining needed no specific "plan". As you can see, Britain is doing quite well in the EU (and always has). It's leaving all that behind that requires a "plan". And as you can see, there isn't one of those either.
Do you think if you keep repeating the lie that the majority had no clue what Brexit meant that somehow it might gain some credence? It won't, but it might make you feel better for a short while. Shame the remainers have no clue about democracy, majority and acceptance of a result they simply don't like.

It's about time the remainers stopped moaning, accepted the result of a fair proper democratic vote and got with the programme.

And for the record, Britain ruled most of the world without the EU. Britain was, and will be, absolutely fine without the tedious shackles of a failed institution.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to see Britain come out of this well.

Unfortunately, there just isn't much evidence that it will.
Just like there is no evidence of failure?

I guess you're just a glass half empty kind of person.

I'm a glass half full type myself.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LouisB
It's important to think of the younger generations.
Interesting argument.

I am the younger generation that was shoehorned into the EU by the back door with little or no consultation over a period of 40 years.

Nobody spoke for my generation....until now.

For every remainer who claims the future is bleaker due to Brexit, there are more of us who claim the future is brighter because of Brexit.

I have faith in the UK and its people. We do not rely on the EU and never will.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 6:23 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgm1963
Just like there is no evidence of failure?

I guess you're just a glass half empty kind of person.

I'm a glass half full type myself.
Would you happen to be another one of those with the brilliant idea to live the high life by spending your life savings on a bank-owned bar on some side street in Costa del Brit?
Old Apr 20th 2017, 6:25 am
Banned

Do you think if you keep repeating the lie that the majority had no clue what Brexit meant that somehow it might gain some credence? It won't, but it might make you feel better for a short while. Shame the remainers have no clue about democracy, majority and acceptance of a result they simply don't like.

It's about time the remainers stopped moaning, accepted the result of a fair proper democratic vote and got with the programme.

And for the record, Britain ruled most of the world without the EU. Britain was, and will be, absolutely fine without the tedious shackles of a failed institution.
It's not "my" idea. It's a matter of public historical record.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting argument.

I am the younger generation that was shoehorned into the EU by the back door with little or no consultation over a period of 40 years.

Nobody spoke for my generation....until now.

For every remainer who claims the future is bleaker due to Brexit, there are more of us who claim the future is brighter because of Brexit.

I have faith in the UK and its people. We do not rely on the EU and never will.
Demographically you're in a minority. Totally entitled to your opinion. But again wasn't just speaking about you, was referring to the general voting pattern across the ages, okay? 😉
Old Apr 20th 2017, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Until you build the TARDIS it's probably worth cutting out the fantasy that Britain will be like the good old days, ruling the world on boats, drinking tea in India while controlling the captured commonwealth nations. The world continues to move on, there is no going back, regardless.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:07 am
Banned

tuhler is an unknown quantity at this point

Uk now has 15 ships in the RN...less than 50k troops...22 fighter aircraft....lets rule the waves...UK for ever
Old Apr 20th 2017, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

It's not "my" idea. It's a matter of public historical record.
I agree. It's seems clear to me that most people voted (on both sides) without having any idea of what brexit will really mean.
Simply because we didn't and still do not know (and I do not believe the politicians know either)
Old Apr 20th 2017, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I agree. It's seems clear to me that most people voted (on both sides) without having any idea of what brexit will really mean.
Simply because we didn't and still do not know (and I do not believe the politicians know either)
Old Apr 20th 2017, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

And, of course, therein lies the problem. Neither side of the debate knew themselves what the reality of 'Brexit' might be - the politicians were as much in the dark as the electorate were and the fact that the arguments did not follow part political lines confused the issue even more. The electorate did not feel able to put their faith in the rhetoric of one party over another because all of the parties were infighting and offering confused messages to the public.

In trying to decipher the facts the electorate were forced to put undue reliance on the opinions of so-called 'experts' - the Chancellor being one, the Governor of the Bank of England another, but even they were just making it up as they went along with agendas and reputations to protect. What the public were left with was a mass of confusing and often conflicting guesswork dressed up as factual information and they were left to forage through all that in order to arrive at an opinion.

Families or other groups that might normally have been expected to vote together were splintered, opinions formed from media sources or experiences from the distant past - but however they voted, the outcome was a slender majority for the UK to leave the EU. Even today there is still confusion. By calling a snap election the PM is preparing to lay down fresh markers for freedom of movement that were not on the table just a week or so ago. The Brexit process, much like the debate that surrounded the referendum, is shrouded in confusion, it is an evolving process with the aims and goals of the UK and the EU changing over time depending on public opinion and political expediency - so anyone who imagines they can see into the future and predict with any accuracy what is going to be the final outcome is, frankly, deluding themselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.