Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

life here after brexit

life here after brexit

Old Apr 18th 2017, 8:49 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: life here after brexit

It's not a matter of "liking it". It was a fad, had no tangible upside, solves nothing, and will cost Britain and all involved dearly. But that's what Britain England voted for, so be it.

But don't expect much sympathy. By the time this is all over, the fad will be long out of fashion. But you'll still be paying top rates for it. Like buying that 1990 style kitchen ... in 2018, at 2018 prices...
Old Apr 18th 2017, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas

Britain's problems are Britain's problems. The EU is just a scapegoat. But after they're gone... it'll no longer be Europe's problem.
So very true. Then who will we blame?
Old Apr 18th 2017, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgm1963
She has every mandate to be PM because that is the way our politics work.

Were you as infuriated when Bliar stood aside and allowed Brown the job?
You are arguing with someone who fully agrees with your comment i said previously i believed she had a mandate to be PM others didn't not me. I also agree with your view on Blair Brown which was in fact pre planned. I will be clear for you, i didn't vote for Brexit but fully accept the result and believe that what is on offer I can't see anyone better than Mrs May to negotiate for best interests of the UK, whatever way one voted the result was out so we must get behind her and get best for the UK .
Old Apr 18th 2017, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Like buying that 1990 style kitchen ... in 2018...
Kitchen with no sink, that costs billions and takes decades to install...
Old Apr 18th 2017, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobd22
so we must get behind her and get best for the UK .
Imho this is part of the problem. Why must we get behind a bad idea? When are we expected to give in to faith over reason because of a tiny majority in a split opinion?

How will getting behind may make the outcome better. Either brexit will be the wonderful utopia promised and no one will be able to complain or it'll fall short. If it falls short of what we have today, it's a good idea to support it anyway regardless?

There's a name for sticking with a bad choice regardless.

I respect anyone's opinion and vote, but don't expect me to give up mine until you 'show me the money' as it were. Until then, I don't believe in it. I'm waiting.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's your opinion i have stated mine, quite simple really register to vote and vote for someone else just like we did back in June i accept the majority decision that's all no matter how small. My guess is you would too had it been other way around.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
Kitchen with no sink, that costs billions and takes decades to install...
you are describing the EU, aren't you?

Hopefully it will be uninstalled in less than decades lol
Old Apr 18th 2017, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

you are describing the EU, aren't you?

Hopefully it will be uninstalled in less than decades lol
You wish...
Old Apr 18th 2017, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond repute

Imho this is part of the problem. Why must we get behind a bad idea? When are we expected to give in to faith over reason because of a tiny majority in a split opinion?

How will getting behind may make the outcome better. Either brexit will be the wonderful utopia promised and no one will be able to complain or it'll fall short. If it falls short of what we have today, it's a good idea to support it anyway regardless?

There's a name for sticking with a bad choice regardless.

I respect anyone's opinion and vote, but don't expect me to give up mine until you 'show me the money' as it were. Until then, I don't believe in it. I'm waiting.
Well, for a start the majority did not consider Brexit a bad idea. That's why we want it.

Whenever there is a vote for anything there is a significant "other side" that thinks the winning side was a bad idea. Shame. Suck it up.

You are right about one thing...there is a name for sticking with a bad choice regardless. 40 years of EU membership proved that.

You asked to be "shown the money". To retort, I will ask you to show me the vision for remaining part of the EU. The EU was increasingly becoming a poor fit with the requirements of the UK (and if you are honest, a poor fit with many parts of the EU) and the intransigence of the EU to change or review its policies is exactly why the vote to leave got support. If you have to apportion blame, then direct the blame at the EU that refused to change its ways.

There was no "plan" in place for remaining in the EU...I find it laughable that the remainers carry on asking where the Brexit plan was when there was no Remain plan.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

You wish...
I do I do...
Old Apr 19th 2017, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's your opinion i have stated mine, quite simple really register to vote and vote for someone else just like we did back in June i accept the majority decision that's all no matter how small. My guess is you would too had it been other way around.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 5:55 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Well, for a start the majority did not consider Brexit a bad idea. That's why we want it.

Whenever there is a vote for anything there is a significant "other side" that thinks the winning side was a bad idea. Shame. Suck it up.

You are right about one thing...there is a name for sticking with a bad choice regardless. 40 years of EU membership proved that.

You asked to be "shown the money". To retort, I will ask you to show me the vision for remaining part of the EU. The EU was increasingly becoming a poor fit with the requirements of the UK (and if you are honest, a poor fit with many parts of the EU) and the intransigence of the EU to change or review its policies is exactly why the vote to leave got support. If you have to apportion blame, then direct the blame at the EU that refused to change its ways.

There was no "plan" in place for remaining in the EU...I find it laughable that the remainers carry on asking where the Brexit plan was when there was no Remain plan.
The majority had no clue what brexit meant. Brexit means Brexit means nothing.

Remaining needed no specific "plan". As you can see, Britain is doing quite well in the EU (and always has). It's leaving all that behind that requires a "plan". And as you can see, there isn't one of those either.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

The majority had no clue what brexit meant. Brexit means Brexit means nothing.
And still don't.

There wasn't even and still isn't a study into the impact of hard brexit. Yet no deal is better than a bad deal 🙄

If this were any other situation, including a business plan, it would be laughed out of the building...
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

I have no issue with the advisory EU ref. I do have an issue with an advisory non-legal opinion poll being used as a binding one, without a supermajority requirement. Especially in absence of so many facts.

Give us a final say on the end deal and don't you worry, I'll be voting.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have no issue with the advisory EU ref. I do have an issue with an advisory non-legal opinion poll being used as a binding one, without a supermajority requirement. Especially in absence of so many facts.

Give us a final say on the end deal and don't you worry, I'll be voting.

Any referendum in the UK is as you say advisory but that does leave it open for the government to act upon the result.Reality is had result been the same but they had not acted as they have then the very same argument you use would be used. The majority was small yes but again Cameron should never have been so arrogant as to make it a simple majority result for such an important and complex issue. To say that all those that voted out haven't a clue is rather an arrogant approach, of course some didn't just as some that voted remain hadn't a clue what the implications either way we're. Some that voted out of course had a full understanding of the situation. You can't simply tar all on either side with the same brush. Neither can you say that the likes of most of us on here are impartial given we either live in the EU or have property in the EU hoping to live there at some future point. That was not lost either on the UK public unfortunately we are collateral damage in all of this. To be honest i have heard many self interest views from expats. Saying they that live in the EU now must be protected re pension and healthcare etc but those like myself who own property for future retirement must accept we are not there yet so it is acceptable for us to lose these benefits but not them, as i say self interest takes over sadly. The UK government IN MY VIEW, should govern for all its citizens and yes i know that's in a perfect world. So in my view we are where we are unfortunately Cameron gambled with this referendum which Blair had toyed with but maybe saw the consequences, Cameron thought he could remain easily miss read the view of the people failed to put any safeguards in place pre referendum and lost the vote and his job. I am still living in England in the north and believe me a very large number of people want out of the EU and some can argue their point very well certainly not simply ignorant people who don't know what they voted for. I am simply hoping for the best exit possible for the UK and those like me that had planned to retire in Spain or elsewhere in the EU.

Last edited by bobd22; Apr 19th 2017 at 9:14 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.