Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Licencia de Primera Ocupacion

Licencia de Primera Ocupacion

Old Jan 23rd 2018, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Licencia de Primera Ocupacion

I've done a forum search regarding a Licencia de Primera Ocupacion but results are quite old.
I'm not sure if I have this piece of paperwork or not.
Doing what many expats do, I bought a ruin and renovated it. I used a local builder who obtained all the correct permits for that. However, I now come across reference to a Licencia de Primera Ocupacion and I can't remember seeing it, though it might be in all the paperwork somewhere.

The house was not on mains water or electric, is still not on mains electric as we use solar, but the seller did put in mains water with a meter as a condition of our purchase.
Does that mean we actually have it? Or now that we've bought the place, do we have to get a new one?

I have no plans to sell the house and currently is just used as a holiday home. Does that affect anything as regards it?
Any information gladly received.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Licencia de Primera Ocupacion

As you bought a ruin I am assuming the property was too old to have ever had this paperwork issued before and so was not available when you completed.
Now you have renovated it and live (OK P/T) in it this should be applied for and issued by the local town hall.

As you are not planning to sell it you do not need it immediately but all properties should have one issued and it is required to be handed over with all the other documents (Energy certificate etc) at the notary if you decide to sell.

There is also Non-infraction certificate (Certificado de no infracción) available from the local town hall to prove there are no outstanding issues regarding planning permissions. But I am unsure if all town halls issue this especially if it is some remote pueblo. Mind you given they can charge for this they might decide they will insist on it. (No cynicism intended just realism)

Last edited by spainrico; Jan 23rd 2018 at 9:05 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 5:40 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you try and get a "first occupation" licence rather than a "cedula de habitabilidad de segunda o posteriores ocupaciones" (second or subsequent occupation licence)?
Old Jan 24th 2018, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

spainrico, thanks for that information which I will check into as well as that of the Certificado de no infracción when I'm back there again.

snikpoh, I've only just heard of the first occupation licence never mind the 2nd/subsequent one. That's why. Now I know there is that kind of thing as well then.
I understand the first port of call will be the Ayuntamiento in any case to see what paperwork would be needed if I wanted to get one. Thanks.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark604
spainrico, thanks for that information which I will check into as well as that of the Certificado de no infracción when I'm back there again.

snikpoh, I've only just heard of the first occupation licence never mind the 2nd/subsequent one. That's why. Now I know there is that kind of thing as well then.
I understand the first port of call will be the Ayuntamiento in any case to see what paperwork would be needed if I wanted to get one. Thanks.
First occupation licence is normally issued by the Town Hall on "New Builds" ( maybe your ruin is classified as that ) and, in theory , is essential for utility suppliers and similar before they connect to the site.
Typically building is inspected to confirm it actually has been built as specified in the plans.
On the Costa del Sol very common to find communities that functioned for several years without such a licence as the cycle of inspection/licence issue was incredibly slow and residents relied on the builder for electricity and water.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark604
I've done a forum search regarding a Licencia de Primera Ocupacion but results are quite old.
I'm not sure if I have this piece of paperwork or not.
Doing what many expats do, I bought a ruin and renovated it. I used a local builder who obtained all the correct permits for that. However, I now come across reference to a Licencia de Primera Ocupacion and I can't remember seeing it, though it might be in all the paperwork somewhere.

The house was not on mains water or electric, is still not on mains electric as we use solar, but the seller did put in mains water with a meter as a condition of our purchase.
Does that mean we actually have it? Or now that we've bought the place, do we have to get a new one?

I have no plans to sell the house and currently is just used as a holiday home. Does that affect anything as regards it?
Any information gladly received.
If you're already on mains water and don't need electricity I wouldn't bother applying for a 2nd occupation license until you want to sell. IIRC they only last 5 years.
You might find the the former owners name & NIE are on the water bills. The utility companies aren't bothered......just as long as someone pays.

Last edited by bolton wanderer; Jan 28th 2018 at 11:46 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

It is our names on the water, but anyway, if the licence only last five years then I'll put that on the to-do list if ever I sell up.
Thanks.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Lojahome is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been asked by the tourist board to supply the 1st occupation license as we have registered our house with them under 'Vivienda Turística Alojamiento Rural' This was not requested when they initially registered the property. We have now gone to the Town Hall to try and get the license via our solicitors. Our house is approx 50 years old, on mains electric and water and we pay the IBI every year and have never been asked for the license in all the years we have owned the property. So now just a waiting game.