Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

"Legalising" a UK car

"Legalising" a UK car

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of
Default "Legalising" a UK car

I visit spain for several months in a year, have a garage and currently hire cars.

I have in the UK an eight year old ford focus zetec 1.8TDCI, 116,000 miles, original cost £12,000, which I am planning to sell as we need a newer vehicle for the miles we drive in the UK. It has been immaculately maintained and repaired.

It looks as though I can expect to get £1,000 maybe £1,100 for it.

I happened to spot an almost identical model (shabbier and more scratched) while i was in spain a few months ago priced at just over €3000.

So my question is is it worth bringing my old car over and doing all the necessary to make it street legal? We only do about 2,000 miles a year in Spain so it should last a good few years with minimal epense. I should add that i have no problem with driving and RHD car in a LHD country so no need to mention that issue.

If i could get it street legal for less than €1,000 it sounds appealing.

Thoughts?
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 5:53 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Legalising" a UK car

Obviously you have the cost of getting it over here, fuel, ferries, tolls etc. Then it is likely to cost you anything between €600 - €1000 to matriculate, depending on the gestor you use. Mine cost €1200 including import tax
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

I put a Ford Focus 1.6 Auto 2005 49000 miles on Spanish plates last October but did not get all the paper work and new plates until January and it cost €1272 which included LH headlights and road tax.

I used a Gestor to do it all for me but have no idea how they work out the final figure. I believe its to do with the age of the car and exhaust emissions but perhaps somebody else can help with that.

Perhaps I'm wrong but it may also vary depending on where in Spain you start the matriculation.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 6:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael74
I used a Gestor to do it all for me but have no idea how they work out the final figure. I believe its to do with the age of the car and exhaust emissions but perhaps somebody else can help with that.

The matriculation tax is based on the current value of the car and the official CO2 emissions figure.

An 8 year old car will be valued at 24% of its new cost and the tax on a typical less than 2 litre modern diesel will be 4.75%.

The other costs will be variable depending on what modifications to lights etc have to be made.

I would expect the estimates of around €1200 or less to be about right.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

My Rav4 2004 cost 1498€ which included the engineer's inspection and the initial ITV which I did myself.
The gestor charged 100€ for the legwork. Lights were one of the most expensive items.
The Rav4 petrol vvti engine, which I have the dubious pleasure to own, is considered high emission.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Many thanks for your replies. They have helped immensely.