Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Irish looking to work in Gibraltar, live in Spain

Irish looking to work in Gibraltar, live in Spain

Old Jun 12th 2015, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish looking to work in Gibraltar, live in Spain

Originally Posted by EMR
More problems with Spain as the disputed waters shrink as Gib expands.
How is more concrete , higher energy consumption, more sewage and rubbish better for the environment.
If these developments were taking plave just across the border you would be puce with indignation.
Once again you display your ignorance of this area
Old Jun 12th 2015, 8:15 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Once again you display your ignorance of this area
You mean thst those who will live in the area will not produce sewage and rubbish, they will not consume electricity.The buildings will not be constructed from concrete etc etc.
The landfill will not encroach on your already disputed waters
Where is this wonderland you inhabit.

I am pleased that you will be more than happy for similar developments to be built by your neigbours.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

More land = more open space = opportunity for better housing + a new hospital & more sports developement = better environment

Anything else you would like to ask?
But that's the problem, you aren't thinking about the natural environment either. If Gibraltar wants to create more land, why on earth would they make border crossing easier in the future? If the border was open and crossing made easy, the property investors (also government) would be losing money. The properties they already own would lose value, so if they make the crossing difficult, people will be willing to pay higher rents in Gibraltar for smaller properties.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
You mean thst those who will live in the area will not produce sewage and rubbish, they will not consume electricity.The buildings will not be constructed from concrete etc etc.
The landfill will not encroach on your already disputed waters
Where is this wonderland you inhabit.

I am pleased that you will be more than happy for similar developments to be built by your neigbours.
Moving a family from an old damp stone tenement into a modern building does not increase the amount of shit or rubbish they produce, but does reduce their energy consumption due to better insulation etc.

The majority of the landfill has taken place within Gibraltar's harbour and not in the waters that Spain and only Spain disputes despite the fact that she has signed UNCLOS.

The wonderland I inhabit is a reality unlike the one in your head.

If you want to carry on your bigoted attack on Gibraltar I suggest you do so on the Gibraltar 2 thread and leave this thread to sensible discussion related to the OP.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Moses2013
But that's the problem, you aren't thinking about the natural environment either. If Gibraltar wants to create more land, why on earth would they make border crossing easier in the future? If the border was open and crossing made easy, the property investors (also government) would be losing money. The properties they already own would lose value, so if they make the crossing difficult, people will be willing to pay higher rents in Gibraltar for smaller properties.
This reply emphasises your complete lack of understanding of the Gibraltar situation.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

This reply emphasises your complete lack of understanding of the Gibraltar situation.
, yeah sure it's never about the money. So you are telling me that if you were a property developer or landlord, you'd be happy to reduce rents by 50%?
Old Jun 12th 2015, 9:36 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Actually if the school is full of expat children then you have to be very very careful

These schools often are the worst because the English speaking kids hang out together and dont learn anything, and the parents are often blindingly ignorant
Usual bigoted nonsense I see.

No one with a single grain of common sense would try to generalise like that.

I see many English kids who have done exceptionally well at Spanish schools and likewise lots of Spanish kids who never showed any interest in learning.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Moses2013
, yeah sure it's never about the money. So you are telling me that if you were a property developer or landlord, you'd be happy to reduce rents by 50%?
I believe you have two options

1) Keep digging

2) Do some research to enable you to reach a realistic understanding of the problems.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 10:27 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Moving a family from an old damp stone tenement into a modern building does not increase the amount of shit or rubbish they produce, but does reduce their energy consumption due to better insulation etc.

The majority of the landfill has taken place within Gibraltar's harbour and not in the waters that Spain and only Spain disputes despite the fact that she has signed UNCLOS.

The wonderland I inhabit is a reality unlike the one in your head.

If you want to carry on your bigoted attack on Gibraltar I suggest you do so on the Gibraltar 2 thread and leave this thread to sensible discussion related to the OP.
Not attacking Gib , your paranoia is showing again.
The new mega development is aimed at new high wealth individuals with some " affordable " homes whatever that means.
The old buildings you refer to will they be torn down and restored to green open spaces or re developed ?

Would I want to live on a building site and not get on with the neighbours , I would not, but there is no accounting for taste.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Hi kelly,

I considered a move to live and work in Spain about 15 years ago but didn't do it. The primary reason was that I wasn't sure it would be a one way trip, and as wages were lower in Spain than in the UK, I could see that if I ever returned I would not be in a good position financially.

If you want to make this a move for life, then I see no reason why you shouldn't go if you are able to get the work and salary you need. If you think this might be just for a few years, do some thinking about what that means to your finances in the future.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Usual bigoted nonsense I see.

No one with a single grain of common sense would try to generalise like that.

I see many English kids who have done exceptionally well at Spanish schools and likewise lots of Spanish kids who never showed any interest in learning.
I read a report from the University of Alicante that would disagree with you. It said British kids obtained the worst results in Spanish school out of any immigrant group, and were the most disruptive

The reason they gave was that their parents were a bad influence and couldnt speak a word of Spanish. So the kids thought they didnt need to get a Spanish education
Old Jun 12th 2015, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
with some " affordable " homes whatever that means.
It means what it very clearly says

Eastside Reclamation Award: “Blue Water Gibraltar”

• OVER 1,000 AFFORDABLE HOMES
But again this is way off the OP's topic
Old Jun 12th 2015, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I believe you have two options

1) Keep digging

2) Do some research to enable you to reach a realistic understanding of the problems.
I've done plenty of research and I don't understand why people get offended so quickly. Fact is that you have people wanting affordable homes and you have people who want to make money. The easiest option would be to make the border crossing times shorter, because there is plenty of affordable housing in Spain and loads of land to build, without having to create artificial land. The Gibraltar government want to make it difficult, because otherwise living in Gibraltar wouldn't be as attractive. Oh the FIFA is also not about money, it's just about sport
Old Jun 12th 2015, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Fred's suggestion about taking the Gib debate elsewhere was spot on.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Horlics
Fred's suggestion about taking the Gib debate elsewhere was spot on.
Well it's still got something to do with the subject. If somebody wants to live in Spain and work in Gibraltar, the future outlook of border crossing is important, especially if you want to settle. The only area with jobs available for the OP will be Gibraltar, but if Gibraltar wants to create more housing, border crossing might become even more difficult in the future. It could mean that the OP might have to live in Gibraltar, but have you seen house prices there and what you get for your money? These homes aren't free either and they'll want a return, so why on earth would the government want easy border crossing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.