Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Irish looking to work in Gibraltar, live in Spain

Irish looking to work in Gibraltar, live in Spain

Old Jun 11th 2015, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish looking to work in Gibraltar, live in Spain

Originally Posted by kellyr4
My wife works part time with little earnings so she can prioritise the kids.

In response to your point I suppose that is why is see the salary of a good job in Gibraltar combined the cost of living of Spain as a viable combination. I wouldn't be falling into trap that so many Brits & Irish do of failing in the dream of opening a bar in Spain.......as lovely as it sounds!
The thing is that Spain is not as cheap as people think and there are a lot more things to consider. Your wife will be alone in Spain and what will she be doing? You won't have huge savings over there, because you're still paying rent, only one of you is working and if you return back home from Gibraltar (most do), you still won't have money for a deposit. You'll then have to apply for a job again (with probation period etc.). You could just rent something cheaper now until your youngest goes to school, then your wife can work full time again. The minimum wage in Ireland would still be over €1300K + your salary, which is well over €5000K a month. It's up to you, but unless it would really boost your career, I don't see the point.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
Dumped my 7 year old daughter into Spanish state school and she's just got a 2:1
And?
I also put my six year old into a Spanish state school so I'm talking from experience.

The op has a nine year old that doesn't speak Spanish. I know all kids are different but I wouldn't do that to a nine year old. It's difficult enough for foreign kids to make friends even if they can speak the language. Take a nine year old (probably more like ten by the time they move over) and dump them into a class full of strangers, not understanding a word, a teacher that can't communicate with the kid and probably resents the extra hassle, probably also thinks the foreign kid will only be around for a year or two then disappear back to where they came from like so many other foreign kids do so why bother putting in the effort?
Result: Kid hates school, fails exams, lonely and no friends, resents parents for doing this to them, parents eventually put them into an English speaking school where by now the kid is so far behind the others of similar age that they never catch up.

Ok, might not happen to this kid but I've seen it happen to other English kids that went to the local village school where I live.

It won't be what the op wants to hear but I would think they don't want to make the same mistakes that so many others have made.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

One of the reasons that I short list Manilva is because it is within 40 minutes commute of GIB and I read on a forum that it has two state schools with good reviews from expats.
Actually if the school is full of expat children then you have to be very very careful

These schools often are the worst because the English speaking kids hang out together and dont learn anything, and the parents are often blindingly ignorant
Old Jun 11th 2015, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
And?
I also put my six year old into a Spanish state school so I'm talking from experience.

The op has a nine year old that doesn't speak Spanish. I know all kids are different but I wouldn't do that to a nine year old. It's difficult enough for foreign kids to make friends even if they can speak the language. Take a nine year old (probably more like ten by the time they move over) and dump them into a class full of strangers, not understanding a word, a teacher that can't communicate with the kid and probably resents the extra hassle, probably also thinks the foreign kid will only be around for a year or two then disappear back to where they came from like so many other foreign kids do so why bother putting in the effort?
Result: Kid hates school, fails exams, lonely and no friends, resents parents for doing this to them, parents eventually put them into an English speaking school where by now the kid is so far behind the others of similar age that they never catch up.

Ok, might not happen to this kid but I've seen it happen to other English kids that went to the local village school where I live.

It won't be what the op wants to hear but I would think they don't want to make the same mistakes that so many others have made.
Valid point It can work out, but these things should be considered too. Overall the OP probably won't be better off financially either, so is it a wise move? At the end of the day we're all different, but I don't see it as a step forward. As mentioned, most people return back to the place they came from and in 3 years time you start again. Dublin is growing and in general the whole of Ireland is seeing investment, so by the time they return it will probably be even more expensive. Gibraltar can't grow much more and that part of Spain will remain cheap in the coming years. As always, you can probably have more fun on holiday, without having to stress out.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Gibraltar can't grow much more
Percentage wise Gibraltar has probably grown more than any other country in the last 50 years without invading it's neighbour and will continue to do so in the future
Old Jun 11th 2015, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Percentage wise Gibraltar has probably grown more than any other country in the last 50 years without invading it's neighbour and will continue to do so in the future
So how much more can you build? I've heard the same in Jersey, but somehow most people were struggling. The colleagues in Gibraltar were actually losing their jobs back then and were complaining about high housing costs. It hasn't changed much in the last few years, because there is no space left. Sure you can build more high rises, but will that be quality of life if flats get even smaller.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 11th 2015 at 3:33 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

So how much more can you build? I've heard the same in Jersey, but somehow most people were struggling. The colleagues in Gibraltar were actually losing their jobs back then and were complaining about high housing costs. It hasn't changed much in the last few years, because there is no space left.
I am refering to increases in land area, not building
Old Jun 11th 2015, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by billgates
And?

And! My daughter was closer to 8 and spoke no Spanish,but like all the foreign children who joined in the same year took to the language quite easily.Just nice to give someone new to the board a little positive info rather than the usual.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And at what cost? Regarding commuting over the border, don't you have the feeling that it's the Gibraltar government wanting people to queue? If so many of them own property in Gibraltar, they surely don't want property prices to drop. If it was so easy to cross, everyone would live in Spain.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Regarding commuting over the border, don't you have the feeling that it's the Gibraltar government wanting people to queue?
No
Old Jun 11th 2015, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And at what cost?
The cost has proved commercially viable judging by it's present use.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The cost has proved commercially viable judging by it's present use.
And the environment?
Old Jun 12th 2015, 6:19 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

...On the jobs front, are GIB jobs generally permanent or on 12 month contracts etc?
The people I know who work in Gib have permanent jobs so I assume that's the norm. I'm not aware that short term contracts are a thing.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And the environment?
More land = more open space = opportunity for better housing + a new hospital & more sports developement = better environment

Anything else you would like to ask?
Old Jun 12th 2015, 7:15 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

More land = more open space = opportunity for better housing + a new hospital & more sports developement = better environment

Anything else you would like to ask?
More problems with Spain as the disputed waters shrink as Gib expands.
How is more concrete , higher energy consumption, more sewage and rubbish better for the environment.
If these developments were taking plave just across the border you would be puce with indignation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.