Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

internet connection in spain but no phone !!!!

internet connection in spain but no phone !!!!

Old Nov 24th 2004, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

woodruffs is an unknown quantity at this point
Question internet connection in spain but no phone !!!!

hi, a friend of ours lives in the granada area of southern spain undefined out in the sticks a bit, has no land line to his property yet. he has heard about satalite internet connection but has no details, i have just searched about and found some info the monthly fees are frightening :scared: one was 115 euro,s/month. anybody got a better solution his mobile is hit and miss at home
and he,s about 45 mins from nearest internet cafe. any ideas,as we sent him some mail (real mail in an envelope with stamps and stuff) and it never arrived
a post card took 6 weeks!!
Old Nov 25th 2004, 6:09 am
Very Old Member!

ScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud of
Lightbulb Re: internet connection in spain but no phone !!!!

Originally Posted by woodruffs
Looks like you were lucky . I sent a cheque to UK, posted it IN A SPANISH POST OFFICE from where if did not leave for a month (checked date on post mark) and then took another 4 weeks to arrive at destination .

It´s all part of life´s rich pattern in Spain
Old Nov 25th 2004, 8:32 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: internet connection in spain but no phone !!!!

Originally Posted by ScotinSpain
Looks like you were lucky . I sent a cheque to UK, posted it IN A SPANISH POST OFFICE from where if did not leave for a month (checked date on post mark) and then took another 4 weeks to arrive at destination .

It´s all part of life´s rich pattern in Spain
Yeah but......my misses posted a package of 4 Cd's at PO in Marbella on Fri and they arrived in Colchester Essex on Wed....they must fly them to Stansted which is close.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 8:41 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

do a google for ( Satellite internet Spain ) but like you say it is expensive and slow from the one i have seen.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

A friend inland from the coast near Gaucin uses Vodafone for his emails and internet. It's expensive but it works. Think he has the latest PDA but a little research will find the best option. But if your friend cannot even get a good mobile phone signal, then things are serious Is it a question of coverage and presume he has tried different networks such as Movistar (Telefonica) etc - also refer http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_es.shtml

For normal phone in the campo, others use the radio phone service from Telefonica which is less expensive but does depend also on being within range of one of their masts. However you cannot use this telephone signal for the internet.

Have also heard that using satellite for the internet is expensive and really only suitable if your business depends on it. (or you are rolling in pesetas )
Old Nov 26th 2004, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

I understand that if you are within range of the Mobile system MOVISTAR which is Telefonica (the equivalent of BT in UK) then they are rolling out the new TRAC DIGITAL service for remote customers who do not have a land line. TRAC is on analogue and is very common in the campo in Spain. TRAC stands for Cellular Access Rural Telephones ! Using digital technology, it can provide access to the internet. Of course you do need to be able to get a Movistar signal which is possibly not the case in certain remote parts of Granada province .
Old Nov 27th 2004, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

Very common problem this one!! We have found that the best solution (i.e. cheapest) is using GPRS systems through mobile phones.

All you need is a mobile phone with GPRS capability (a lot of them do now), and the cable to plug into your computer and that's it!

You will obviously need to find a position in your house with the strongest signal (even if it is a weak one) although you can get an ariel extension.

GPRS is not for heavy surfing as it can start to add up, but for general emails and moderate surfing it is ok.

Check it out.

If you need any more info on it then please let me know.

Or, do you know anyone nearby with a phone line who could set up a wireless broadband connection that you could link to? Just a thought.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodruffs
hi, a friend of ours lives in the granada area of southern spain undefined out in the sticks a bit, has no land line to his property yet. he has heard about satalite internet connection but has no details, i have just searched about and found some info the monthly fees are frightening :scared: one was 115 euro,s/month. anybody got a better solution his mobile is hit and miss at home
and he,s about 45 mins from nearest internet cafe. any ideas,as we sent him some mail (real mail in an envelope with stamps and stuff) and it never arrived

there is a satalite internet company advertising around coin/alhaurin, i think its 600 installation plus a monthly...and thats for sat broadband, garenteed 2mb up/down? i cant see that myself but there u go.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 10:09 am
Just Joined

BrianSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Like many who use this site I am looking for access to the internet without a landline telephone. I am about to move to live near Rubite just North of Velez Malaga. I have trawled the internet and have found www.broadbandss.com they offer a two-way satellite broadband 'Apollo' package for £59 p.c.m (86 Euros). Has anyone used this suppler ? Does anyone know of an alternative ? There used to be a site www.axarquiainternet.com that appeared to be offering internet connection for a very reasonable price, but now their site is disabled.... anyone know why ?