Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

International Schools in Mallorca

International Schools in Mallorca

Old Feb 24th 2017, 5:25 am
Just Joined

Sahar10_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International Schools in Mallorca

Hi everyone. We are considering a move from London to Mallorca because of my husband's job and have two daughters aged 5 and 12. Both are in very academic schools here in London and take part in a lot of drama and dance extra curricular activities. Struggling to find good independent parent reviews of the international schools in Mallorca and the few that are there have us worried. Husband's job will be in Palma but we are happy to locate anywhere on the island for the right school. Can any parents with children at International schools give any advice? Thanks!
Old Feb 24th 2017, 8:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Schools in Mallorca

Hi there, as your query is quite specific rather than a general intro, I've moved it our Spain forum, and hopefully the lovely peeps there will be able to help out.

Good luck with the move.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 8:16 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sahar10_1
Hi everyone. We are considering a move from London to Mallorca because of my husband's job and have two daughters aged 5 and 12. Both are in very academic schools here in London and take part in a lot of drama and dance extra curricular activities. Struggling to find good independent parent reviews of the international schools in Mallorca and the few that are there have us worried. Husband's job will be in Palma but we are happy to locate anywhere on the island for the right school. Can any parents with children at International schools give any advice? Thanks!
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 24th 2017, 8:32 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have kids in international schools here, and never did. Know a few that do, and you're right, there's not a lot of good reviews about International schools in Mallorca.

What I've been told is that they're nearly as expensive as a top-rated, academically superior school anywhere, but without the top ratings or academic superiority.

Most expats [are German, by the way] are generally just looking for alternatives to sending their kids to a public school. Not that there's anything wrong with public schools here (they're positively rated), but Spanish fluency is a requirement, and many can't wait for their kids to become fluent, so, many are willing to pay the high price for an "international" school.

The schools don't need to be academically superior, just teach in English and/or German, because that's all their clients need.

Sorry, I know that's not encouraging... But that's what the "international school" landscape seems to be here.

Oh, one other thing which may or may not interest you, is that the "international schools" tend to be located in the more affluent and expensive (and crowded) suburban expat areas in the southwest, so unless you're prepared to drive a distance every day, you'll be limited to living in those areas. As you probably already know.

Last edited by amideislas; Feb 24th 2017 at 8:49 am.