Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

International / private schools Seville

International / private schools Seville

Old May 3rd 2011, 1:50 pm
Banned

Ferdinand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International / private schools Seville

We are hoping to move to Seville next year and have 3 children - 2 boys (14 and 12 years) and one girl (8 years). We need to find out about schooling and are fortunate enough to have savings to put them through private education if necessary. Can anyone recommend any international or private schools in the Seville area? Their knowledge of Spanish is good, but basic - so predominantly english-speaking schools please.
Old May 5th 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: International / private schools Seville

Originally Posted by Ferdinand
We are hoping to move to Seville next year and have 3 children - 2 boys (14 and 12 years) and one girl (8 years). We need to find out about schooling and are fortunate enough to have savings to put them through private education if necessary. Can anyone recommend any international or private schools in the Seville area? Their knowledge of Spanish is good, but basic - so predominantly english-speaking schools please.
English speaking schools (following an English curriculum) tend to only be located on the costas. There generally aren't enough English kids in the cities to warrant opening an 'English' school.

Your best bet would be an international school...meaning a Spanish school following Spanish curriculum but some of the classes are taught in English (for the benefit of the Spanish kids).

Or move to a costa.

http://www.europaschool.org/maineng.html

Last edited by Veleta; May 5th 2011 at 10:39 am.
Old May 5th 2011, 10:53 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend using this as a guide. The schools affiliated to it follow strict guide lines. The international schools that I know of, both inland and on the coasts, all teach in english (unless otherwise stated) and follow the english curriculum. But obviously there are many different criteria! Private schools tend to teach in Spanish and use the Spanish curriculum, altho many claim to be bi/multilingual

http://www.nabss.org/index.php/schools

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; May 5th 2011 at 10:56 am.
Old May 5th 2011, 10:58 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I'd recommend using this as a guide. The schools affiliated to it follow strict guide lines. The international schools that I know of, both inland and on the coasts, all teach in english (unless otherwise stated) and follow the english curriculum. But obviously there are many different criteria! Private schools tend to teach in Spanish and use the Spanish curriculum, altho many claim to be bi/multilingual

http://www.nabss.org/index.php/schools

Jo xxx
Good suggestion but be aware that not all schools (even affiliated ones) are on this site for some reason.

Also note that the school details for some schools is in Spanish - strange given that they are teaching solely in English - you'd have thought they'd be in both languages. As the details for some is held in an image, translation tools don't work.

Last edited by snikpoh; May 5th 2011 at 11:01 am.
Old May 5th 2011, 11:02 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Good suggestion but be aware that not all schools (even affiliated ones) are on this site for some reason.
Oh???? I know not all schools are and actually I see that there is a distinct lack of schools in the Seveilla area - which is what the OP was asking. Funnily enough my kids used to go to a school that claimed to be affiliated with NABSS, they werent on the list and after some further investigation, they had apparently been thrown off it for not using the correctly trained teachers!

Jo xxx
Old May 5th 2011, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

there is a spanish run bilingual school in Seville called San Francisco de Paula. I have no idea what it's like, but they advertise for british teachers so I imagine most subjects are taught in English. It gets a bit of a bad press on teachers forums but make up your own mind.

http://www2.sfpaula.com/

Also the St George's group (british curriculum) has recently opened - or is about to open - a school somewhere in or near Seville. New schools are always a bit of an unknown quantity but it's worth a look.

http://www.stgeorge.es/en

Last edited by rachelk; May 5th 2011 at 5:45 pm.
Old May 5th 2011, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Remember that at the "international" schools (Spanish curriculum, some classes taught in Eng) there are usually more classes taught in English at the younger levels, but they have more and more classes in Spanish as they get older because the exams are 100% Spanish of course.

Jojo - don't forget, British schools with British curriculums are only likely to be found where there are high concentration of Brits, ie the costas (and perhaps one or two in Madrid/Barcelona).
Old May 5th 2011, 9:51 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by Veleta

Jojo - don't forget, British schools with British curriculums are only likely to be found where there are high concentration of Brits, ie the costas (and perhaps one or two in Madrid/Barcelona).
Thats true enough, altho things are changing in these "British" schools! In my kids school and the school they were in before, the British kids are and were a minority! For whatever reason (and it beats me????????) Many nationalities seem to want their kids to gain GCSEs and A-levels. My son is about to sit his IGCSEs and so are the russian, Ukranians, French, Danish and Spanish kids in his class !!???? ...... and I wanted him to do the international baccalaureate

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; May 5th 2011 at 9:59 pm.
Old May 6th 2011, 5:16 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
Remember that at the "international" schools (Spanish curriculum, some classes taught in Eng) there are usually more classes taught in English at the younger levels, but they have more and more classes in Spanish as they get older because the exams are 100% Spanish of course.

actually the 'international' schools here teach the British curriculum in English - although I believe for 'native spanish speakers' they can do a mix of the British & Spanish curriculum in secondary school & the international bachi