Reload this Page >

Importing motorbike (Triumph Bonneville) in to Spain

Importing motorbike (Triumph Bonneville) in to Spain

Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

jamtartmart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing motorbike (Triumph Bonneville) in to Spain

Hi Guys,

I just went to see a matriculation agency with my Bonneville SE about importing it.

The guy told me that I need to change something on my headlight to dip to the nearside.

The Bonneville is a straight light so I'm really not sure any EU replacement I buy online is even going to be any different. Perhaps they have different glass or bulbs to dip it.

Unfortunately my Spanish isn't very good so I struggled to ask him whether adjusting the position of the headlight brackets perhaps would also help.

Anyone imported a Bonneville with any tips?

Thanks,
Martin
Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing motorbike (Triumph Bonneville) in to Spain

I think whoever it was is mistaken. Motorbike headlights don't dip to the side!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:57 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

The simplest answer is to put your front wheel up to a wall at night, turn the dipped headlight on and look at the beam. If you are happy then wander down to an ITV centre and ask them if they can tell you - many garages have the same headlight tester and they may also be able to tell you.

Davexf
Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:58 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Employ an agent who knows or DIY and visit your local ITV centre. The staff in the ITV centre near Torrevieja speak English and are very helpful.

Perhaps your local Triumph dealer will assist?
Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

In it's rightful home
Attached Thumbnails Importing motorbike (Triumph Bonneville) in to Spain-p5262282.jpg  
Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever I had my bike mot done in the UK the headlight test only checked that main beam and dipped beam were at correct heights, not whether it dipped to the side.

When I did a tour of Spain on my bike about 5 years ago I enquired at that time if anything needed adjusting/changing to be legal in Spain and there was none.

Bike headlights dip straight.

Steve
Old Mar 20th 2018, 5:33 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
I think whoever it was is mistaken. Motorbike headlights don't dip to the side!
A friend has just had his Honda Goldwing fail at the ITV because the headlights don't point the correct way for Spain.

The ones he has don't even produce a flat beam - they point to the wrong side of the road (or so they told him).

In this situation, what should he do next?

Honda UK have quoted him £1500 for a new (correct) headlamp cluster inc. fitting.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 6:56 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
A friend has just had his Honda Goldwing fail at the ITV because the headlights don't point the correct way for Spain.

The ones he has don't even produce a flat beam - they point to the wrong side of the road (or so they told him).

In this situation, what should he do next?

Honda UK have quoted him £1500 for a new (correct) headlamp cluster inc. fitting.
Hola

Find out how much a pattern part is

Davexf
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming its a modern 'Bonnie', most modern headlamps has an asymmetrical beam pattern and dip up and down only. The headlamp WILL have a 'cut off' point for the projected beam that DOES project to the UK side, and this is a result of the design of the headlamp reflector. Its a harsh tester that goes for this. If you project the beam onto a white wall, you will see a flat topped section on the left side of the pattern, that's the cut off.

Take it to another test station for the pre matriculation examination. IF you can, adjust the beam upwards SLIGHTLY, this takes the 'cut off' OUT of the beam testing area on the assessing machine, but as long as you do not raise the dip beam too much, it will pass. Like I said, its a harsh tester that goes for this, as in the scheme of things the effect of a 'cut off' is far, far more insignificant in Spain than any light that dips to the side. Its all about dazzle, after all.

If its an old Bonnie with the Lucas Headlamp, you are stuffed as the image will be along the lines of a British American pattern and NOT European, which is a totally different beast and will fail.

I am guessing I have wasted my energy on the last paragraph. Good luck.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

NABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Lurchio, good to know information.

I have been contemplating buying a used Triumph Street Triple in the UK and importing it into Spain. Was planning to spend about GBP3-4000. By the time the import formalities are complete, with possibly hassle to get the headlight changed I am now wondering if it is worth it? Might be better searching out a used model in Spain, always presuming they or something similar is available.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NABman

I have been contemplating buying a used Triumph Street Triple in the UK and importing it into Spain. Was planning to spend about GBP3-4000. By the time the import formalities are complete, with possibly hassle to get the headlight changed I am now wondering if it is worth it? Might be better searching out a used model in Spain, always presuming they or something similar is available.
You pays your money etc etc. Have a look also at Insurance (high) prices in Spain, remembering you may not be able to transfer any UK no claims bonus. That's why there are so many 650's around.

Also bear in mind that any non standard exhaust can will be not acceptable. The bike has to be totally
standard in all respects or you will be chasing Spanish homologation rules for anything not originally factory fitted on the bike.
More hassle.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Bike headlights have a beam cut off just like any other headlights and if your headlight is for the UK the beam will cut the wrong way.

On some bikes you can change the bulb to change the cut off over, some have a deflection plate that can be changed over, most however will need the headlight unit changed as to pass an ITV it will need the correct "E" marking and numbers on the front of the assembly and to cut off for LHD.

The simple answer is to ring Triumph with your frame number and ask them what the difference is for modles made for EU export and UK, then you know what needs changing.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 10:58 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NABman

You can buy any model from the Triumph range in Spain.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

NABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice. The only reason for considering importing was contacts in the UK to source a reasonable condition machine for a decent price. I think the importation process will be too much hassle. Time to start looking at dealers in the Malaga area I think.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Didn't like to say....