Illness in Dogs

Illness in Dogs

Old Nov 12th 2005, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

phantom phixer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Illness in Dogs

Originally Posted by Ian Rob
Hi
Considering moving to Spain but concerned over repotrs of nasty illnesses the dogs get. In particular from Sandfly bites. Any experiance

Ian Rob
Check out these two sites, they give a lot of info, www.leishmaniasis.info and www.heartwormsociety.org Some of the pictures may turn your stomach. Heartworm seems to be the worse and my vet used to work in Africa and has seen cows hearts with up to 250 worms inside,nasty.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:54 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by svenskidoo
Scalibor is the best collar to get and you can get them from pet shops and chemists. I haven't seen any supermarket that sells them directly (around here anyway) although usually at the big hipermercados there will be a pet shop in the surrounding complex.

There are flea and anti parasite collars but most of these will not protect you against leish.
Hi Sam

We keep our dog's collar on all year and it has to be changed every 6 months.
Hope all the info you've had helps.

Regards

JJ
Old Nov 16th 2005, 8:21 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjh
Hi Sam

We keep our dog's collar on all year and it has to be changed every 6 months.
Hope all the info you've had helps.

Regards

JJ
Hi JJH,

We are over in Spain this Friday so hope to pick a collar up then so he has it ready for the big move in 4 weeks time, because I dont think I will be able to leave him on his own for the first few days to go and look for one after the flight.

Changing the subject (I know this has been covered before, but I need some reassurance now its so near). How did your dog cope with the journey. We are flying our dog, he is car sick so we decided to fly him because the journeys a lot shorter. I`m an absolute bag of nerves and keep phoning Monarch airlines to put my mind at rest. And to make things worse we`ve got to drop him off at cargo at 4-30 in the morning. He`s going to wonder what the hecks going on when he`s normally fast asleep at that time.

Oh dear, I`ve just read this post back and I sound a right one. But I`m just worried about him.

Regards Sam
Old Nov 16th 2005, 6:03 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam parky
Hi JJH,

We are over in Spain this Friday so hope to pick a collar up then so he has it ready for the big move in 4 weeks time, because I dont think I will be able to leave him on his own for the first few days to go and look for one after the flight.

Changing the subject (I know this has been covered before, but I need some reassurance now its so near). How did your dog cope with the journey. We are flying our dog, he is car sick so we decided to fly him because the journeys a lot shorter. I`m an absolute bag of nerves and keep phoning Monarch airlines to put my mind at rest. And to make things worse we`ve got to drop him off at cargo at 4-30 in the morning. He`s going to wonder what the hecks going on when he`s normally fast asleep at that time.

Oh dear, I`ve just read this post back and I sound a right one. But I`m just worried about him.

Regards Sam

Hi Sam

I'm afraid I can't help you with that one as Tula is/was a street dog, who we picked up at 2 months old. However, I'm sure there are lots on this forum who can help. Also if you go to the forum at andalucia.com I know there are previous threads on this subject. If you can't find them, then post your own. You've got a few weeks yet and I'm sure someone will help.

All the very best of luck.

JJ
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

thank you for mentioning heart worm

its reached south of france and is creeping up the east side

its mosquito based, the mossi has to use a dog as a donah and then from this can infect others.

Its not nice, if caught it can be cured, but often too late once you know

although i did not know cats can get ti too so thank for the links

and the UK go loopy over rabies???? last case was??????? does not exist here. I'd be more worried to get bitten by some hag on a UK shopping mall.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian

Sorry re late reply been dog sitting in the UK.
Firstly we also keep the collars on all year around,

Also your question as to how we have settled, well the answer is very well, the locals have excepted us and as I have only been home for six hours and already they have been in bring fresh produce with them.
I have no regrets, miss the kids but then............. After all how long does it take to fly back. I was asked how often do I go "home" I replied by saying this is home I go to the UK for my Hols! see family and friends and then back.

No regrets, not been terribly easy for some of the time but I would not have expected anything else, we live in a predominantly Spanish community so are having to speak the language but that is not too big a problem, noticed recently we are not using the dictionary as often, even better when Louis-Pasteur (yes you hear it correctly, local vet) speaks English

If you want any info send me a pm or email
regards pwwm
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Ian Rob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pwwm
Hi Ian

Sorry re late reply been dog sitting in the UK.
Firstly we also keep the collars on all year around,

Also your question as to how we have settled, well the answer is very well, the locals have excepted us and as I have only been home for six hours and already they have been in bring fresh produce with them.
I have no regrets, miss the kids but then............. After all how long does it take to fly back. I was asked how often do I go "home" I replied by saying this is home I go to the UK for my Hols! see family and friends and then back.

No regrets, not been terribly easy for some of the time but I would not have expected anything else, we live in a predominantly Spanish community so are having to speak the language but that is not too big a problem, noticed recently we are not using the dictionary as often, even better when Louis-Pasteur (yes you hear it correctly, local vet) speaks English

If you want any info send me a pm or email
regards pwwm
Thanks for the response, we are cowards and will leave the escape until ours pass on, not that long now.
All the best

Ian
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Hope all goes well with the move, do not be put off having any other dogs over here, just take the prcautions and all should go well.
Have a good move and hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Regards Pwwm