Reload this Page >

Illness in Dogs

Illness in Dogs

Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Ian Rob is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Illness in Dogs

Hi
Considering moving to Spain but concerned over repotrs of nasty illnesses the dogs get. In particular from Sandfly bites. Any experiance

Ian Rob
Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Illness in Dogs

Hi Ian

We bought both our dogs with us when we moved out over two years ago, yes there are a couple of nasty illness's but find a local vet and you will get all the help you need, special collars etc.
The locals around us do not bother with precautions but then they do not seem to care in quite the same way about their animals, but they are not falling over with disease's.

Ours settled in very well, and are as happy and contented as they were in the UK.
So worry not, just go to the local vet when you arrive.
pwwm
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:53 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Leishmaniosis and heart worm are the two that you've probably heard about. Leishmaniosis is the one spread by the sandfly, well it's a mosquito actually. I understand that Andalucia has the most cases of this in the whole of Spain. There are special collars to protect agaist this, but nothing is certain.

Heartworm, which is also very nasty and can also be terminal, can be kept at bay by either an annual injection, tablets or by, such as in our case, giving the dog a dose of liquid medicine monthly.

As the previous post said, the locals don't seem to take precautions and dogs aren't dropping down dead around us. However, on the other hand, we know personally of at least 4 people whose dogs have had either one or other of these diseases.

I don't want to panic you, but you can find these facts out by looking on the internet.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I know of a Cocker spaniel who was diagnosed with Heart worm whilst being spayed but after treatment the lucky dog has now been given the all clear.
She did belong to a Spanish family who "lost" her, she was found by a friend. She has now been adopted into an English family.
pwwm
Old Nov 5th 2005, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Illness in Dogs

Originally Posted by pwwm
Hi Ian

We bought both our dogs with us when we moved out over two years ago, yes there are a couple of nasty illness's but find a local vet and you will get all the help you need, special collars etc.
The locals around us do not bother with precautions but then they do not seem to care in quite the same way about their animals, but they are not falling over with disease's.

Ours settled in very well, and are as happy and contented as they were in the UK.
So worry not, just go to the local vet when you arrive.
pwwm
Thanks for the response, our UK vet very concerned about LEISHMANIOSIS and gave impression almost certain to contract it. Collars only helping & not stopping it. Hence interested in on the spot experiences. How did the dogs travel?
Old Nov 5th 2005, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Ian

We bought the dogs over by car, used the tunnel and drove down stopping every two hours, none the worse for it especially as both getting on in years.

Re LEISHMANIOSIS I have not met anyone whose dogs have contracted it, we have been very careful and as I said in my first post we contacted a vet as soon as we arrived. The vets do take it seriously and will do all they can to prevent any animal contracting it.

I would not let any horror stories stopping you bringing them over, just need to take as many precautions as possible, The worst I have seen here is cases of animals being poisened, that was nasty.

We have many friends here who have bought dogs over and all have lived a good life.

Best of luck I hope you take the plunge and bring him/her.

pwwm
Old Nov 6th 2005, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pwwm
Hi Ian

We bought the dogs over by car, used the tunnel and drove down stopping every two hours, none the worse for it especially as both getting on in years.

Re LEISHMANIOSIS I have not met anyone whose dogs have contracted it, we have been very careful and as I said in my first post we contacted a vet as soon as we arrived. The vets do take it seriously and will do all they can to prevent any animal contracting it.

I would not let any horror stories stopping you bringing them over, just need to take as many precautions as possible, The worst I have seen here is cases of animals being poisened, that was nasty.

We have many friends here who have bought dogs over and all have lived a good life.

Best of luck I hope you take the plunge and bring him/her.

pwwm
Thanks for the comfort. How have you taken to the change in lifestyle?
Old Nov 6th 2005, 4:36 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian Rob
Thanks for the comfort. How have you taken to the change in lifestyle?
Definitely yes
Old Nov 7th 2005, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

cuevacarramaiza is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Illness in Dogs

I live in Barcelona with 2 cats and have just bought a place in Granada - I'm taking my cats down there on a regular basis (where they'll have free roam of the countryside) & after reading these comments I'm wondering if there's any diseases I should be aware of in cats???
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd agree with jjh's post.

You shouldn't underestimate leishmaniasis as it is about, pretty much all over Spain and it does kill and is killing dogs.

There is no cure, and animals that aren't treated die a not too pleasant death.

I've seen people not bother to invest 20 euros in a collar then spend hundreds in treatment on their dogs - our neighbours are one example.

There was an article in the Valencia Post - download issue 2 highlights, about the disease.

Originally Posted by Ian Rob
Hi
Considering moving to Spain but concerned over repotrs of nasty illnesses the dogs get. In particular from Sandfly bites. Any experiance

Ian Rob
Old Nov 9th 2005, 10:07 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by svenskidoo
I'd agree with jjh's post.

You shouldn't underestimate leishmaniasis as it is about, pretty much all over Spain and it does kill and is killing dogs.

There is no cure, and animals that aren't treated die a not too pleasant death.

I've seen people not bother to invest 20 euros in a collar then spend hundreds in treatment on their dogs - our neighbours are one example.

There was an article in the Valencia Post - download issue 2 highlights, about the disease.
Hi Svenskidoo,

How do I get hold of a collar for Leishmaniosis. Do they sell them at supermarkets or do I have to go to a pet shop or vets? We`re in Spain next week so might as well get it then ready for our big move in December.

Regards Sam
Old Nov 9th 2005, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

You can get a Collar at any. They are not specifically for Leishmaniosis and work by trying to stop the sandfly and mosquito biting.

30% of Dogs are estimated to have the disease in the area you are moving to.

Best
Loco

PS: There is a Spanish Vet in Lepe who speaks very good English should you need one

Originally Posted by sam parky

How do I get hold of a collar for Leishmaniosis. Do they sell them at supermarkets or do I have to go to a pet shop or vets? We`re in Spain next week so might as well get it then ready for our big move in December.

Regards Sam
Old Nov 9th 2005, 6:03 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

We get our collar from the pet shop. The vet can give you more information on what to use but we use one called Scalibor, which is meant to be the best.

For more information on Leishmaniosis type it into Google and you'll get the what not to do's, like leaving the dog out at dusk when the mosquito is most active. I'm not sure if there's a season or not, but you could ask the vet.

I hope all goes well with your move.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 6:08 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjh
We get our collar from the pet shop. The vet can give you more information on what to use but we use one called Scalibor, which is meant to be the best.

For more information on Leishmaniosis type it into Google and you'll get the what not to do's, like leaving the dog out at dusk when the mosquito is most active. I'm not sure if there's a season or not, but you could ask the vet.

I hope all goes well with your move.
Hi jjh,

Thanks for the info. As it happens I am just sat looking at a website I found through google www.paws-patas.org it has a very good article on Leishmaniosis. The season runs (so it says) from April till the end of November, but I think I`ll still get a collar when we move over just in case.

Sam
Old Nov 9th 2005, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Scalibor is the best collar to get and you can get them from pet shops and chemists. I haven't seen any supermarket that sells them directly (around here anyway) although usually at the big hipermercados there will be a pet shop in the surrounding complex.

There are flea and anti parasite collars but most of these will not protect you against leish.

Originally Posted by sam parky
Hi jjh,

Thanks for the info. As it happens I am just sat looking at a website I found through google www.paws-patas.org it has a very good article on Leishmaniosis. The season runs (so it says) from April till the end of November, but I think I`ll still get a collar when we move over just in case.

Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.