Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ideal Coastal Town for Retiree

Ideal Coastal Town for Retiree

Old Jun 29th 2017, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ideal Coastal Town for Retiree

Valencia is a beautiful city and has transport going all directions. El Campillo is nice enough as a coastal resort. Altea is fine too. If you only want to stay a month somewhere, then get a holiday home for a month. Haggle the price. Try airbnb or Home-away or Owners Direct. I wouldn't bother with rental agencies unless they are prepared to give you a month's rental. But it is less bother to go down the holiday rental route.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Gitte is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends really what you want.

Alicante is a relative big city, has its own airport but while on the coast line, I would not call it the typical "coastal" town. Altea is smaller, on the coast but its a stone beach and the sea somewhat dangerous. Denia (I know you didnt mention this but still thought I would mention it) is in my opinion totally ruined and no longer the beautiful area it once was. Benidorm is another town you may wish to avoid....my family lived here for 15 years but 20 years ago when it still had charm.

Maybe you are quick to deside where to live, but to me 1 month is not enough time to do the research. I have travelled the Spanish coast up and down for quite a few years now to locate the area I would like to eventually live. My problem is that I used to live in New Zealand which is really green and Spain is very, very dry, so for me it has been very difficult to find the right spot. I think I have found it now.....Costa Tropical in the Granada Province. The town/s I am looking at is Almunecar and La Herradura, both very beautiful with a lovely green flora. Anyhow, good luck with your search
Gitte
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't read all the posts on this thread, so forgive me if I'm going over old ground. I saw this thread in the past 90 seconds and to be honest I nearly puked at the relative innocence and stupidity of what is proposed i.e. give your life list to some estate agent or other honest plonker who is going to decide what probably is the 2nd most expensive decision of your life. You could get the advice of what's on offer through Holiday Homes in the Sun television series (a series that even a child would be challenged to acquire some truths).

The original poster knows what he wants and if he doesn't he should keep well away from purchasing a house/apartment/duplex/villa abroad. But, if the guy is stupid enough to part with his money on the whims of advisers, then he will learn an expensive lesson.

OK! Lep - What can you come up with? The answer is simple:- Move to an area in the off season for at least five/six weeks. You will learn if that area is suitable for you in that period. Furthermore, you will learn if the district is suitable too. Eventually, you will arrive at whatever town/city/village with which you are happy. Unless you are a very lucky person there is no other way.

Apologies if I caused offence and if I didn't the reader is more naive than I first thought.

. . . . and for the record we bought in Mojacar Playa (Costa Almeria) as it is the warmest and driest area of mainland Spain and airports Almeria, Murcia, Alicante, Málaga are all within 2 hours drive (well Málaga airport 2.25 hours). We can easily rent out the place when we are in Ireland for a few months each year. And . . . . and . . . our Brit + Spanish neighbours are excellent.

Last edited by Leper; Sep 21st 2017 at 5:10 am.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gitte
Depends really what you want.

Alicante is a relative big city, has its own airport but while on the coast line, I would not call it the typical "coastal" town. Altea is smaller, on the coast but its a stone beach and the sea somewhat dangerous. Denia (I know you didnt mention this but still thought I would mention it) is in my opinion totally ruined and no longer the beautiful area it once was. Benidorm is another town you may wish to avoid....my family lived here for 15 years but 20 years ago when it still had charm.

Maybe you are quick to deside where to live, but to me 1 month is not enough time to do the research. I have travelled the Spanish coast up and down for quite a few years now to locate the area I would like to eventually live. My problem is that I used to live in New Zealand which is really green and Spain is very, very dry, so for me it has been very difficult to find the right spot. I think I have found it now.....Costa Tropical in the Granada Province. The town/s I am looking at is Almunecar and La Herradura, both very beautiful with a lovely green flora. Anyhow, good luck with your search
Gitte
Just walking through the beautiful lush Mediterranean Park overlooking the sea and agree hard to beat Almunecar. I hour or so by bus to Granada a bit more to Malaga but a beautiful area with a good mix of Europeans and 'open' all year
Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Gitte is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree Bridie55...it is difficult to beat.
I am hoping to be living there very, very soon, hopefully end of this year.