Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How Much Cash Can You Fly With?

How Much Cash Can You Fly With?

Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default How Much Cash Can You Fly With?

Is there a limit as to how much cash I can take back to the UK on my person?

Ive recently sold a car in Spain and wish to buy another in the UK ,I`d rather not use banks due to fees and time scales etc.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all
Default Re: How Much Cash Can You Fly With?

Originally Posted by Rotor
Is there a limit as to how much cash I can take back to the UK on my person?

Ive recently sold a car in Spain and wish to buy another in the UK ,I`d rather not use banks due to fees and time scales etc.
Don't think there is a limit although over a certain amount (10000 euros?) you may have to declare it and may have to prove that it is yours...bank book, record of car sale etc. Of course whatever the amount, depending on Customs, you may still have to prove it is yours.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:28 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you are travelling within the EU there is no limit and no obligation to declare it.

However in the UK HMRC can, at any time anywhere, ask you to explain any amount of cash over £1000 so be prepared for this and have some proof of where the money came from.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you are travelling within the EU there is no limit and no obligation to declare it.

However in the UK HMRC can, at any time anywhere, ask you to explain any amount of cash over £1000 so be prepared for this and have some proof of where the money came from.
I have seen notices at airports in Spain stating that sums over 6000 euros must be declared at customs or risk confiscation.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

See here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...heUK/DG_173289

and here

http://europa.eu/legislation_summari.../l25069_en.htm
Old Mar 19th 2010, 7:46 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone that had 30,000 confiscated because he couldn`t account for it with paperwork.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know someone travelling with that sort of money to buy property over here and they were given a very hard time.

I think Spanish banks now have to askquestions if you tryand pay cash into your account over a certain amount (6k?)

The days of dealing in serious cash are over ?

No problem for me!
Old Mar 20th 2010, 10:41 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by spainrico
I think Spanish banks now have to askquestions if you tryand pay cash into your account over a certain amount (6k?)
That was always the case even in the days of the Peseta. Used to be 1,000,000 Pesetas which equates to 6,010.12€. Not just banks either; all transactions, cash or otherwise, of 1,000,000 Pesetas or over are supposed to be declared to Hacienda at the time of the transaction.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:16 pm
Costa Blanca lover

BlueChip is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spainrico

The days of dealing in serious cash are over ?
Its the same in the UK, due to money laundering regulations. Not sure of the exact limit, but for your own safety when paying in large cash amounts its worth noting the source of the cash on the paying in slip and counterfoil. Then if at some time in the future the taxman asks questions, you can easily look back and show exactly where it came from.