Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How long did it take you to learn Spanish?

How long did it take you to learn Spanish?

Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did it take you to learn Spanish?

So, allowing for variations according to gender, individual, number of braincells pickled by this that and the other substance, etc., what does everyone think is the age after which language becomes distinctly more difficult to learn?
Old Jan 27th 2012, 7:29 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
So, allowing for variations according to gender, individual, number of braincells pickled by this that and the other substance, etc., what does everyone think is the age after which language becomes distinctly more difficult to learn?
over the age of 10

that's about the age you stop 'absorbing' & have to start 'studying'
Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

It becomes more difficult around 3 years old
Then more difficult still after 11

Still, anyone can become fluent at any language at any age. The limits you put on yourself.

Remember you are living in Spain, you can easily spend a year here and never hear or speak a word of English. If you did that, then within a year you would be fluent. So it just depends on the situations you create for yourself. If you speak English all day and absorb English media then it makes it very difficult to improve in Spanish
Old Jan 28th 2012, 2:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Well at the carboot today I saw a CD from the Mail for sale saying "Learn Spanish in one week" must be simple.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I meant as an adult (which clearly somewhat exceeds the 10 year old barrier)
...I wondered if anyone had any observations like 'under 50 you stand a chance', over 25 no chance, whatever.......
Old Jan 28th 2012, 5:05 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I meant as an adult (which clearly somewhat exceeds the 10 year old barrier)
...I wondered if anyone had any observations like 'under 50 you stand a chance', over 25 no chance, whatever.......
I have students from mid 20s to mid 70s - the absolute truth is the more practice you put in, the more you get out - but some people do have a natural affinity for languages

I was in my early 40s when I started learning Spanish - a (then) 21 year old who was in the group still barely speaks Spanish 8 years later

I had a 22 year old guy joined one of my groups - I expected him to learn quickly & easily...........& so did he - he thought he wouldn't need to study, so didn't.........and had forgotten all we did from one lesson to the next

& yet one of my 'best' students is in his mid 60s - he practices a little every day, & he makes the effort to expose himself to the language as much as possible

I have noticed that people who have always kept their minds active beforehand find it easier no matter what their age - & almost without exception, if a couple start lessons together, the woman progresses more quickly & will often continue after her OH has either given up completely or decided that they know 'enough'
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lynnxa
the woman progresses more quickly & will often continue after her OH has either given up completely or decided that they know 'enough'
That is so true.
My other half gave up after 6 months because he couldn't be bothered to do the homework and I don't think he liked me progressing faster than him. I kept up lessons for almost another 3 years.
He has a good vocabulary though which he seems to have picked up from TV. So when I am struggling for the perfect grammatical sentence he just comes up with a couple of words and gets understood anyway!

Much as I hate sweeping generalisations. I think women like to chat more whereas most men just want to communicate the bare minimum and get what they need.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:32 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
That is so true.
My other half gave up after 6 months because he couldn't be bothered to do the homework and I don't think he liked me progressing faster than him. I kept up lessons for almost another 3 years.
He has a good vocabulary though which he seems to have picked up from TV. So when I am struggling for the perfect grammatical sentence he just comes up with a couple of words and gets understood anyway!

Much as I hate sweeping generalisations. I think women like to chat more whereas most men just want to communicate the bare minimum and get what they need
you might be on to something there
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:35 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

if a couple start lessons together, the woman progresses more quickly & will often continue after her OH has either given up completely or decided that they know 'enough'
Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
That is so true.

Much as I hate sweeping generalisations. I think women like to chat more whereas most men just want to communicate the bare minimum and get what they need.
Completely counter to my experience. I was very quickly better than my OH and she gave up after a couple of months. 12 years later I am still persevering and she just can't be bothered. It's a bit sad because of the two of us she is the one with the natural ability.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:37 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jimenato
Completely counter to my experience. I was very quickly better than my OH and she gave up after a couple of months. 12 years later I am still persevering and she just can't be bothered. It's a bit sad because of the two of us she is the one with the natural ability.
I did say almost without exception

I do have a couple of couples where the guy is doing better - but generally it is teh other way around
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:44 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I did say almost without exception

I do have a couple of couples where the guy is doing better - but generally it is teh other way around
I accept that, interesting...
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I studied for quite a few years with a female friend and if talking was an Olympic sport, she'd be world champion! Her Spanish was no different, she simply went for it, didn't matter that the accent and the grammar were terrible, nothing stopped her. I preferred to stick with my level of Spanish, but would have loved some of her confidence. My wife only ever stuck about one term of Spanish before she gave up, but I've been valiantly struggling on ever since.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:48 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend married to a Chilean for 20 years and he still only speaks a few odd words of spanish. They vist her family in Chile every year so I don't know what they think Nearest he got was playing a CD in his car. He is a lecturer in Politics!
Old Jan 29th 2012, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I have a friend married to a Chilean for 20 years and he still only speaks a few odd words of spanish. They vist her family in Chile every year so I don't know what they think Nearest he got was playing a CD in his car. He is a lecturer in Politics!
I find that very disrespectful towards his partner, his partner's family and culture

Even if my girlfriend or wife were Chinese I would make sure I became fluent in the language. Otherwise you are not exactly comitted or interested in them
Old Jan 29th 2012, 12:27 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by cricketman
I find that very disrespectful towards his partner, his partner's family and culture

Even if my girlfriend or wife were Chinese I would make sure I became fluent in the language. Otherwise you are not exactly comitted or interested in them
but sometimes the partner isn't exactly keen to help or support

a guy in one of my groups has been married to a Spanish woman for 10 years - she won't help him or correct him at all - and I'm not too sure she's pleased he has decided to take lessons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.