Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How to increase the monthly rent on a property

How to increase the monthly rent on a property

Old Mar 12th 2018, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

rose2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to increase the monthly rent on a property

Can you please tell me how do I increase the monthly rent on a property I rent out. The increase is due in June, I want to do it correctly using the CPI but not sure how to go about it. We stated that rental increase would be in line with the CPI.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to increase the monthly rent on a property

Originally Posted by rose2015
Can you please tell me how do I increase the monthly rent on a property I rent out. The increase is due in June, I want to do it correctly using the CPI but not sure how to go about it. We stated that rental increase would be in line with the CPI.
The normal way is a letter advising of the increase inline with Clause .... of the contract

In Spanish it is the IPC not CPI and you can find the data using the Instituto Nacional de Estadistica .
INEbase / Nivel y condiciones de vida (IPC) /Índices de precios de consumo y vivienda /Índice de precios de consumo / Últimos datos
Old Mar 13th 2018, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Rents have gone up way above the general inflation level. This clause was in my contract but I had no choice but to agree a market level rent. Huge demand for rentals in popular areas.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

So according to the ipc how much can we increase a 600 per month rent. The renters agreed to this in the contract.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rose2015
So according to the ipc how much can we increase a 600 per month rent. The renters agreed to this in the contract.
From the IPC tables the interannual 2017 increase was 1,1 % , 2016 was 1,6%.

February 2017 - February 2018 it was 1,1 %

https://www.datosmacro.com/ipc-paises/espana

On a Euro 600 rental that means Euro 6,6 a month
Old Mar 14th 2018, 7:13 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Is it really worth the hassle?

I would rather have a happy long term tenant than an extra 6.60€ / month. I would suggest you review the rent when tenant moves out.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like goodwill would be more valuable?
Old Mar 19th 2018, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jonboy
Sounds like goodwill would be more valuable?
Thank you for all the replies. My tennants get plenty of goodwill, electricity included plus we go and see to their pets when they are away.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Dave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant future

Not really worth the hassle?
If they decide to move out and you may just get a new tenant who turns out to be a bad one!
I would rather have a happy long term tenant than an extra 6.60€ / month. I would suggest you review the rent when tenant moves out.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 12:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Dee
Not really worth the hassle?
If they decide to move out and you may just get a new tenant who turns out to be a bad one!
I couldn't agree more.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Just be pleased you have a good tenant.I used to rent out an apartment long term & people thought I was mad as my tenants included an Algerian,a Dutchman,a south American couple a Romanian etc. but I had a fixed sensible rate & with good fixtures & with everything to use & with a legal contract.Not one failed to pay as arranged.But I believe you should treat others as you would hope is reciprocated