Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How to become a permanent resident

How to become a permanent resident

Old Jul 23rd 2016, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to become a permanent resident

Thanks for that Fred.
We needed to go three times as the functionario told us on one occasion that the health card , we produced, ( after submitting S1 form) was not proof that we were we were entitled to health care on the Spanish system,and that we needed to, quote " write to our doctor in the UK and get him to send an officially translated, certificate issued by the UK government ( not repeat not the S1 form) to prove entitlement". This despite the Policia national officer stating that it was. I am sure that you have met intransigent functionarios, and he was a five star example of one. ( this was in Sevilla).
We will see what transpires in the future.
Pete.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 10:25 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
Thanks for that Fred.
We needed to go three times as the functionario told us on one occasion that the health card , we produced, ( after submitting S1 form) was not proof that we were we were entitled to health care on the Spanish system,and that we needed to, quote " write to our doctor in the UK and get him to send an officially translated, certificate issued by the UK government ( not repeat not the S1 form) to prove entitlement". This despite the Policia national officer stating that it was. I am sure that you have met intransigent functionarios, and he was a five star example of one. ( this was in Sevilla).
We will see what transpires in the future.
Pete.
However, getting the "Newcastle letter" is dead simple and they (DWP) provide it in both languages (English and Spanish).
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry , I had the same problem moving within Spain from Navarra to Andalucia - the system did not recognise me. The local medical centre gave me a temporary cover until I phoned the national Social Security helpline who confirmed my entitlement. The local health centre put it down to incompatibility of their computer system with the national system. It appears to be an Andalucian problem and when I went to the central Social Security office in Marbella they were able to register me and produce an SS card. then I could go back to our local Health Centre.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Don't worry , I had the same problem moving within Spain from Navarra to Andalucia - the system did not recognise me. The local medical centre gave me a temporary cover until I phoned the national Social Security helpline who confirmed my entitlement. The local health centre put it down to incompatibility of their computer system with the national system. It appears to be an Andalucian problem and when I went to the central Social Security office in Marbella they were able to register me and produce an SS card. then I could go back to our local Health Centre.
I am seeing the same paper chase. I have been thinking of moving to Europe, and while as EU citizen one can move to a country, seems the health insurance requirement Is not that clear. I had thought having a European health insurance card sufficient, but seems it is only a first step.

I assume the negotiations involving Brexit will allow some transition period but who knows.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 3:45 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The health insurance card is only for tourists, not residents. If you have to sign on the register of foreigners, it should not be accepted as proof of health cover and you will require either reciprocal cover as a UK pensioner or private health insurance.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Some friends of ours went to Sevilla for residencia last Friday, and were told that the Spanish government has suspended, until further notice, all applications for residencia from UK citizens. Lets hope that Britains answer to Henry Kissenger, ( Boris Johnson) gets onto the case a.s.a.p
Pete
Old Jul 24th 2016, 9:25 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Some friends of ours went to Sevilla for residencia last Friday, and were told that the Spanish government has suspended, until further notice, all applications for residencia from UK citizens. Lets hope that Britains answer to Henry Kissenger, ( Boris Johnson) gets onto the case a.s.a.p
Pete
Now that's interesting because we took friends to our local extranjeria last Friday. They waited from 6am for a ticket only to be told that they weren't issuing them until 8th August. We went back later and asked why but were told that we should come back on 1st (not 8th)).

I wonder if they have stopped and that's what we'll be told next time?
Old Jul 24th 2016, 10:21 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Pete
no need to hope that BJ can sort it out

tell your friends to get in touch with the British Consulate

at a meeting last week, they not only confirmed that 'nothing has changed' (which of course, legally, it can't, since British citizens are still EU citizens) but that they would also investigate any discriminatory actions against British citizens

which is exactly what happened to your friends - discrimination

https://www.gov.uk/government/world-...endum-concerns
Old Jul 24th 2016, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Come on it's almost August, no one is going to process anything during the holidays. I see nothing unusual about them working like that at this time of year. Surprised they did not say come back in September
Old Jul 24th 2016, 3:49 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The National Police do not close in August although they may be short staffed. They are obliged to process your application for registration on the same day.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 4:00 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Fred James
The National Police do not close in August although they may be short staffed. They are obliged to process your application for registration on the same day.
.... and if they won't - there isn't much you can do about it!
Old Jul 24th 2016, 4:13 pm

I can only speak from my own experiences. I have done it three times and it never took more than 20 minutes plus the time taken to get the payment form stamped at the bank.

It depends entirely on where you do it.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 8:18 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Fred James
I can only speak from my own experiences. I have done it three times and it never took more than 20 minutes plus the time taken to get the payment form stamped at the bank.

It depends entirely on where you do it.
For the past 'n' years, we've helped many people and there's never been an issue - 'till now!
Old Jul 25th 2016, 6:10 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
.... and if they won't - there isn't much you can do about it!
But there is - the British consulate has said that if anyone experiences discrimination - which is what this would be - they should contact them & they will deal with it