Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

High Conifer trees between property

High Conifer trees between property

Old Jul 14th 2016, 12:30 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High Conifer trees between property

I believe they would continue to grow in height, see here "If you do not trim your Leylandii hedge each year, it will grow up to 3ft (90cm) a year" Care - Trimming and Maintenance | Leylandii

However, it really doesn't matter to me what they species they are or if they would continue to grow, I was just making a comment.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I would agree OP could contact his Ayuntamiento, but I do hope he got permission to build that 2 metre high boundary wall? I doubt they will take action unless the trees are causing damage. The OP has given no information to suggest these trees are in any way endangering his property? He is perfectly entitled to prune any overgrowing branches.

IMHO neighbours are not being stubborn, they have no obligation to prune their trees and OP could be liable for prosecution if he damages them. Offering to pay for the pruning would seem an obvious solution to resolving his problem.
The neighbours ARE being stubborn as well as selfish and ignorant
Why should the OP pay? This sort of work is very expensive, and he didn't cause the problem
Leylandii cause no end of problems , or rather their inconsiderate owners do
There needs to be more legislation, eg maintain at a height of no more than 2 metres
Old Jul 14th 2016, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Biffta,

Whilst the place is occupied by people who rent it out, hire someone to cut the trees right back and when the owners turn up say you know nothing about it and assumed it was the owner who ordered it or the renters that did it. You will have your light and the owner will have there trees cut. Nobody dies much less the trees.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you do not have to do anything, you can just admire the view of the trees whilst gently hissing at them through your teeth.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
Ok Biffta,

Whilst the place is occupied by people who rent it out, hire someone to cut the trees right back and when the owners turn up say you know nothing about it and assumed it was the owner who ordered it or the renters that did it. You will have your light and the owner will have there trees cut. Nobody dies much less the trees.

Will the person hired be willing to take on cutting down trees on someone else's land without their permission?
Would probably refuse to do it in case he got into trouble. Could be construed as criminal damage

Last edited by Rosemary; Jul 14th 2016 at 9:31 pm. Reason: correcting quote
Old Jul 14th 2016, 10:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I believe they would continue to grow in height, see here "If you do not trim your Leylandii hedge each year, it will grow up to 3ft (90cm) a year" Care - Trimming and Maintenance | Leylandii

However, it really doesn't matter to me what they species they are or if they would continue to grow, I was just making a comment.
Some can apparently develop new "leaders" if the top of the main trunk is removed, but not all do, and it appears to depend how much is removed - more brutal cropping may stop it growing taller.

My parents had one that had been topped, and it got wider and wider every year, but never grew any taller. ...... I the case of the OP, it sounds like they were all topped, but the trees had variable success in growing new leaders, so the hedge is now of very variable height.
Originally Posted by Neptuno
Will the person hired be willing to take on cutting down trees on someone else's land without their permission?
Would probably refuse to do it in case he got into trouble. Could be construed as criminal damage
"Could be"?
Old Jul 15th 2016, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the comments. Some weeks back I did cut back a few at the end of the row of trees as they were getting so high they were now blocking our side view from the from the front window. Only cut back a couple, but it made a difference. The rest all along the wall remain untouched. When the owners come over, will see if they notice that these two or three are shorter!
Thanks again.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

If all else fails or you do not like the intervention of traditional tree surgeons you can always go the verbal route. Square up to the offending trees and give 'em hell Tell them where they have been going wrong, do not suggest but insist that they change their ways Give them a target to reduce hight by and give them a date to achieve it by. This works for others who have many years of experience in such matters, please see link.

Prince Charles has revealed he now 'instructs' his plants | Daily Mail Online
Old Jul 15th 2016, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If all else fails or you do not like the intervention of traditional tree surgeons you can always go the verbal route. Square up to the offending trees and give 'em hell Tell them where they have been going wrong, do not suggest but insist that they change their ways Give them a target to reduce hight by and give them a date to achieve it by. This works for others who have many years of experience in such matters, please see link.

Great idea, I will give them a severe talking to in both English and French.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 7:44 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

If they really did "just shrug" I'd cut them down to size. Then shrug next time they arrive.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
If they really did "just shrug" I'd cut them down to size. Then shrug next time they arrive.
Good idea, BUT, quite a cost to me as the trunks are quite thick and difficult to cut as are the branches by hand. Would need a mechanical cutter. Not as easy as you"d imagine. Then of course the problem if I was denounced for damage and traspass!
Thanks anyway!
Old Jul 19th 2016, 6:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Good idea, BUT, quite a cost to me as the trunks are quite thick and difficult to cut as are the branches by hand. Would need a mechanical cutter. Not as easy as you"d imagine. Then of course the problem if I was denounced for damage and traspass!
Thanks anyway!
Get yourself a Bahco bow saw - those things are awesome - they cut like a hot knife through butter, seriously 2-3 strokes through a 5cm branch 4-5 through a 7.5cm branch.

Unless I am tackling something well over 10cm I don't bother with the inconvenience of donning my protective hat, gloves, and chaps and fetching my chainsaw, because my Bahco bow saws are so quick and effective.

I have a 53cm pointed (triangular) saw, which should be plenty for most homeowners, and a 91cm traditional-shape bow saw for larger branches, easily up to 15cm in most cases.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 19th 2016 at 6:54 pm.