Reload this Page >

Help!!! Where to live in Spain

Help!!! Where to live in Spain

Old Apr 8th 2010, 9:40 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help!!! Where to live in Spain

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Or you could come to Ayamonte 10mins to the beach 45 mins to Sevilla 10-15*C cooler in July and August and a whole other country and culture on your doorstep 5mins across the bridge with cheap good quality dining to boot.
Hang on, you drive in 45 mins. to Seville??? You Michael Schumacher ??
Old Apr 8th 2010, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Help!!! Where to live in Spain

Originally Posted by Jur
Hang on, you drive in 45 mins. to Seville??? You Michael Schumacher ??
From the bridg r/about to Makro/Ikea @ 160kph easy.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

MikeQuigley is an unknown quantity at this point

Phoenix bar - yes it is Pete.

Yes, it's hot here in July and August and everyone gets out if they can. As someone observed, that's why we will be in Galicia then.

Visiting this place (Seville) from somewhere else (as we have done before, several times) is not the same as living here. Our experience here is much deeper and richer than when we were just day trippers.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:58 am
Jur

From the bridg r/about to Makro/Ikea @ 160kph easy.
I´m glad I don´t rent cars!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:59 am
Jur

Originally Posted by MikeQuigley
Phoenix bar - yes it is Pete.

Yes, it's hot here in July and August and everyone gets out if they can. As someone observed, that's why we will be in Galicia then.

Visiting this place (Seville) from somewhere else (as we have done before, several times) is not the same as living here. Our experience here is much deeper and richer than when we were just day trippers.
Please say hi from the cloggies in Ayamonte.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
Please say hi from the cloggies in Ayamonte.
Bacup where I was born have a clog dancing team beat that!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jur
I´m glad I don´t rent cars!
Only use my own these hire cars are just not up to it.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=HBG;8480850]
Originally Posted by jdr
They are all drunk Brits in Benalmadena an it`s nothing like Spain.

Christ, they've done up the 24-hour Square since I was last there!
Another place another time, I didn`t realise you was only 15.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:06 pm
Jur

Canada?
Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:10 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jdr;8481364]
Originally Posted by HBG

Another place another time, I didn`t realise you was only 15.
Actually, I will never say anything bad about Benalmadena, it’s where my Spanish journey began, donks ago. We stayed in the Hotel Triton, on the beach side of the coastal highway, when the mountains behind it were still mountains.

When the time was right, I moved to Estepona, then Mijas Costa, but Benalmadena was the place where I fell in love with Spain. I still remember seeing Elizabeth Taylor’s yacht in the harbour that was still being built and she was on it.

24-hours Square was much later, when they concreted up the mountains and moved the coastal highway inland, but I’d still go back tomorrow, but the boss likes it on the Costa Blanca and where I am there are no mountains, just salt lakes and blue flag beaches and hundreds of thousands of people from the UK enjoying themselves.

I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night to hear the sound of Bow Bells, but it’s only the woman lying next to me, who was born in Stratford, having a nightmare.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:24 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

That's nothing to shout about.
(Bacup I mean, not the clog dancing)
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:02 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeQuigley
This one won't meet your criterion of being 20 mins from the sea, but consider it anyway. We have been living in Seville since September 2009 and just love it. It's got a real character of its own, and boy is it lively! People are friendly and warm. We have got to know Spanish people by doing "intercambio" sessions (alternately speaking English and Spanish) and this has led to some memorable social occasions. I play jazz in a local jam session. My partner learns flute from a young Spanish fellow who also plays in a group doing Irish (yes!) music - and she has started arranging gigs for him. If you want to meet Brits, they are here, but not too many of them. Our local Irish bar is run by a Kiwi. The Maestranza concert hall and its orchestra are world class, and we saw an opera performance last week that could easily have been in London or New York. The beach resorts of Sanlucar de Barremeda, Chipiona and Punta Umbria are not far away. There is a lot of property for sale or rent lying idle and I'm told there are good deals available - we certainly got one on the flat that we rent. If you want to improve your Spanish the language school CLIC here is first-rate. All in all, this place has surpassed our expectations.
Why not come and stay in the city for a few days and look around ?
You could almost substitute Madrid for Seville! Of course there are no beaches around, but you've got the fast AVEs to get to the coast. Work is normally easier to find than elsewhere, and there are loads of museums, theatres etc and a decent expat community. Drawback is the cost of living (compared to Spain, still far lower than the London equivalent) but it may well be that rents are at their lowest for a long time. Gets hot in summer too, but not as bad as the south. People say the winter climate (cold) is offputting, but unless you're working out of doors it's not generally a problem, and apartments, buildings tend to be well-heated.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:04 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

Actually, I will never say anything bad about Benalmadena, it’s where my Spanish journey began, donks ago. We stayed in the Hotel Triton, on the beach side of the coastal highway, when the mountains behind it were still mountains.

When the time was right, I moved to Estepona, then Mijas Costa, but Benalmadena was the place where I fell in love with Spain. I still remember seeing Elizabeth Taylor’s yacht in the harbour that was still being built and she was on it.

24-hours Square was much later, when they concreted up the mountains and moved the coastal highway inland, but I’d still go back tomorrow, but the boss likes it on the Costa Blanca and where I am there are no mountains, just salt lakes and blue flag beaches and hundreds of thousands of people from the UK enjoying themselves.

I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night to hear the sound of Bow Bells, but it’s only the woman lying next to me, who was born in Stratford, having a nightmare.
I used to live in Bow, my mate ran a Karate club in Stratford near the church, changed a bit round that way too.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:10 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

If you're willing to consider a city, but need to be close to the coast, why not Valencia? I've not lived there, but have often visited the place and the people there are generally friendly. Lots of facilities there too. Good reports too from people who've lived there.

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Apr 8th 2010 at 8:13 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

I think Valencia is a good choice. We chose Andalusia for various reasons but I like the Valencia area. Language (Valenciano) is an issue to bear in mind if you have school age children who are already bilingual and you don't want a third language in the mix (as in our case) but otherwise shouldn't be a problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.