Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

help i have got squatters

help i have got squatters

Old Jul 26th 2017, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help i have got squatters

Don't call police, or initiate any legal procedure until you have found out who your squatters are, and why they are squatting. Ask around. Then approach the squatters yourself. You may be surprised. I know many people living in properties that have been repossessed by banks. They may well have assumed this is the case with your property. When they realise you actually intend/need to live there, they will happily leave without argument.

This may read as being very naive, or unrealistic advice, but it is not going to cost you anything other than time. It is worth a try.

As soon as you start legal proceedings, or simply involve the police, you are effectively notifying the squatters of their own legal rights. If they want to stay and cause you grief, they could very easily 'play the system' and stretch the procedure out for 8 months, then start the same procedure again for another 8 months, and so it goes on...

Find out who they are, and why they are squatting. Then, approach them personally before doing anything else.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

wicklowjack is an unknown quantity at this point

i think you are right will try to ngoate with out involving toe police.just need them out i need to live therein a few weeks
Old Aug 9th 2017, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

well was there and home no probs getting them out in the end just went in when the house was empty and when thay came back refused entry to them called the guards who weer very good thay left and screwed up an 8*4 sheet of ply wood with security screws
so no probs i was lucky thanks for your help and advice guys
Old Aug 10th 2017, 7:06 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wicklowjack
well was there and home no probs getting them out in the end just went in when the house was empty and when thay came back refused entry to them called the guards who weer very good thay left and screwed up an 8*4 sheet of ply wood with security screws
so no probs i was lucky thanks for your help and advice guys
So glad that you managed to get them out without too much stress.

Rosemary
Old Aug 10th 2017, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Good news
Old Aug 10th 2017, 9:23 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Well done :-) Out of interest what age / nationality were the squatters?
Old Aug 10th 2017, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Good to learn how things turned out. A lot of times a thread never says what happened in the end.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
Well done :-) Out of interest what age / nationality were the squatters?
Moroccan in there early twenty's there were just 2 of them , thay were arrested later because the car thay were in was reported stolen 2 years previously in Malaga and had no insurance or itv:thumbs up:
Old Aug 11th 2017, 8:55 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, good to hear
Old Aug 11th 2017, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Glad everything turned out ok for you
Old Aug 12th 2017, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

thank you , i was lucky that is all
Old Aug 12th 2017, 4:34 pm
Started off with nothing

I hope they don't return to trash your property
Old Aug 13th 2017, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

i boarded up the property . put an cut down 8x4 sheet of water prof ply wood over it and secured with security bolts so hopefully things should be ok. moving there in a bit