Reload this Page >

Well Water (water from a well) Chiclana

Well Water (water from a well) Chiclana

Old Oct 4th 2017, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Paulnewbery is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Well Water (water from a well) Chiclana

Hola,

This is my first post so be gentle with me. I have searched but can't find my answer so apologies if this is digging up old ground (pun intended).

We are looking to move to the Chiclana area next year and I know a lot of the properties have water supplied by a well. Can you please let me know the pro's and cons of this?

I have 4 young boys so we go though a fair bit of water both for drinking and for washing. Is it possible to make the water safe to drink (filters etc) or is this not possible even with mains water?

I have stayed in villas with both supply's so just looking for a bit of 'locals' advice. When viewing properties what should I look out for with regards to the water supply?

I will be back with more questions I am sure

Thanks
Paul
Old Oct 4th 2017, 3:01 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well Water (water from a well) Chiclana

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 4th 2017, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paulnewbery
Hola,

This is my first post so be gentle with me. I have searched but can't find my answer so apologies if this is digging up old ground (pun intended).

We are looking to move to the Chiclana area next year and I know a lot of the properties have water supplied by a well. Can you please let me know the pro's and cons of this?

I have 4 young boys so we go though a fair bit of water both for drinking and for washing. Is it possible to make the water safe to drink (filters etc) or is this not possible even with mains water?

I have stayed in villas with both supply's so just looking for a bit of 'locals' advice. When viewing properties what should I look out for with regards to the water supply?

I will be back with more questions I am sure

Thanks
Paul
I have a well /bore hole (not in your chosen area ) , its 175m deep and a pain in the *** , , if you have the option of mains water take it every time , its all potable .
With a bore hole you need a pump and they do fail , mine is around £800,00 plus they do consume a lot of electric , you need to "lift " them every couple of years (not easy) and check everything , Spanish electric is rarely reliable in the campo , if you have a supply that needs no pumping (gravity fed) that may work out but you need to get the water tested and fit filters and UV lamps etc , as I said if you can have mains water take it.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 9:21 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

I live in Chiclana; the water from ANY well in Chiclana is not drinking water (potable) as the water table under Chiclana is contaminated. The various authorities are currently discussing the problems / solutions.

Most bore holes are less than 50 metres deep and a pump is under 400€. The pump should last over six years and some over ten years. My well is only 15 metres deep and it is 5 metres to water. I have never had water problems per se but I have just had to replace the motor for the pump - it lasted for over five years.

I drink the water from my well and always have; I have had my water tested and it is not "drinkable" officially but the numbers are just over the legal limit.

There are companies that make machines to change the water to drinkable but there are a lot of fly-by-night companies that will con you into buying equipment that will not make the water drinkable .

any further questions just ask

Davexf
Old Oct 4th 2017, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies, both very useful.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Davexf, I wanted to direct message you but I fall below the powers for this

You have been very helpful with the above and also with my wifes questions on Schools etc. We are over for a few days next week for fact finding purposes and I wondered if you would be around for a drink and a chat? We fly in Sunday 7th (late afternoon) back out Thursday 11th Morning.

Would be great to chat to someone local who has made the move already.

Understand if not.

Happy New Year!
Paul
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 10:22 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paulnewbery
Davexf, I wanted to direct message you but I fall below the powers for this

You have been very helpful with the above and also with my wifes questions on Schools etc. We are over for a few days next week for fact finding purposes and I wondered if you would be around for a drink and a chat? We fly in Sunday 7th (late afternoon) back out Thursday 11th Morning.

Would be great to chat to someone local who has made the move already.

Understand if not.

Happy New Year!
Paul
Hola

Yes happy to meet up - where do you know? I think you have to make 5 posts to be able to message members - Your wife should have enough posts to be able to send a message.
Busy Monday morning with Computer class @ Venta Florentina in Pago del Humo district and without car all day Wednesday as they fit another computer / Particulate filter

Davexf

Last edited by Dxf; Jan 2nd 2018 at 10:48 am. Reason: Add wife
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 11:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

Yes happy to meet up - where do you know? I think you have to make 5 posts to be able to message members - Your wife should have enough posts to be able to send a message.
Busy Monday morning with Computer class @ Venta Florentina in Pago del Humo district and without car all day Wednesday as they fit another computer / Particulate filter

Davexf
Private messages are allowed after 3 posts.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

I believe it is 3 posts. I should have left it to my wife but jumped on it while I thought about it.

I am fairly good with most of Chiclana and surrounding areas. I stay in Hozanejos a fair bit so know out to there, obviously the beaches and also the town.

Perhaps Tuesday would work for you? Happy to come to Pago if it helps.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 2:04 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hola

Have sent pm

Davexf