Health cover

Old Jul 21st 2017, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Health cover

Good morning,
I thought that I had this sorted. I have residentia and a SIPP card. I'm also in my 70's. My understanding from the good people in Newcastle is that should I return to the UK for a visit and need medical aid, then I am covered by the NHS.
Or have I got this wrong?
Confused.com.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 9:45 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health cover

I am in the same situation as you are regarding legalities and I have a EHIC card which was issued and renewed by the UK which I thought was necessary if visiting the UK but no idea really so clarification would be useful.

Rosemary
Old Jul 21st 2017, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I am in the same situation as you are regarding legalities and I have a EHIC card which was issued and renewed by the UK which I thought was necessary if visiting the UK but no idea really so clarification would be useful.

Rosemary
Before coming to Spain I did speak to Newcastle and they then assured me that I was covered.I think that the easiest way to clarify this is to call them again.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 9:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentishladd
Before coming to Spain I did speak to Newcastle and they then assured me that I was covered.I think that the easiest way to clarify this is to call them again.
UK pensioners are entitled to full NHS care in the UK, whether moving back or just visiting.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
UK pensioners are entitled to full NHS care in the UK, whether moving back or just visiting.
Thanks, your reply was received as I was speaking to Newcastle and they confirmed your comment.
Put my mind at rest,
Thanks again.

Last edited by Kentishladd; Jul 21st 2017 at 10:04 am. Reason: More info
Old Jul 21st 2017, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I have a photo of a letter from DWP confirming this so at the moment it is no problem.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 1:47 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary

Rosemary
As a state pensioner, you don't need the EHIC to get NHS cover whist in UK.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
As a state pensioner, you don't need the EHIC to get NHS cover whist in UK.
I would disagree with that. I was told that as I have signed on to the Spanish system with my "S1" form , I need a different EHIC card which I have applied for and got. Those "nice" people at Washington told me that If I were to access the NHS (e.g. on a visit to the UK) by using my NI number, rather than this EHIC card, I will be automatically removed from the Spanish register and I will have to start all over again with S1 etc. You of course may know differently.
Pete
Old Jul 27th 2017, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

That's not what I was told.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

sparkyinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

What if you were visiting another EU country?
Old Jul 27th 2017, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

This link explains it http:// https://www.google.co.uk/url...edq5QXvZEm8kBg
Old Jul 27th 2017, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a Brit receiving a UK state pension living in Spain the actual 'provider' of your healthcare is the UK because they are paying for it. So you are entitled to an EHIC which you can (currently, after brexit who knows) use if you travel in Europe. Obviously in Spain you have access via the Spanish health card (SIPs in Alicante) Also you can access free NHS care in the UK:

'Holders of a valid UK Pensioner S1 form living in an EEA country or Switzerland
If you are in receipt of a UK pension and have registered a valid UK S1 form with the relevant authorities in your country of residence, and your healthcare is paid for by the UK by virtue that S1 form, then you are now entitled to return to England to receive free NHS hospital treatment, just like someone who is ordinarily resident in England.'
(from https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-hospital-care

If you are an early retiree living in Spain you are not entitled to an EHIC and may be charged to use NHS (as you are not UK resident)

If you work in Spain and therefore pay Spanish NI you are covered for access to Spanish Healthcare and thus can apply for an EHIC equivalent called a TSE (Tarjeta Sanidad EspaƱa) which you can (currently) use if you visit UK.

If like me you are an early retiree and qualify for a SIPs card due to being a resident before 24 April 2012 this does not come with a TSE entitlement nor can I legally obtain an EHIC as UK does not provide my health cover nor am I UK resident.

We tend to overlook travel insurance these days but us early retirees really should have it for UK (and any travel) visits just in case we need NHS treatment.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very good clear link.