Reload this Page >

Health care if you have existing medical condition

Health care if you have existing medical condition

Old Mar 21st 2017, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

dhillon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health care if you have existing medical condition

Hi All

If I bought a property in Spain having sold my property in uk and spend more time in Spain (obviously) what are the implications for health care as I have an existing medical condition. At the moment everything is okay with me but if the worst happens and I need an operation what are my options? Would I be able to get medical insurance in Spain? as I hear its difficult if you have an existing medical condition. An advice most appreciated.

Danny
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 7:41 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health care if you have existing medical condition

Gettingprivate medical insurance in Spain is the same as anywhere else e.g. UK andexisting medical conditions will need to be declared

Areyou eligible for Spanish health care? To qualify you must register and pay intothe system (working or self employed etc.)

Areyou a UK pensioner? If so you can get an S1 form from UK but again you need tobe registered as a resident in Spain

Someregions like Valencia have a scheme where you can pay in approx. 60€ month ifthe scheme is still running but again you need to be registered as living inSpain and covers existing medical conditions

http://healthcareinspain.eu/living-in-spain/

Old Mar 22nd 2017, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Once you arrive in Spain it is advisable to register on the pardon (in effect an electoral roll with benefits) in the district in which you habitually reside. After you have been on the padron for 12 months you can opt to pay into the 'Convenio Especial' - the state system, at approximately €60 per month each. Between arriving and the end of the first year you will need health cover and, much like car cover, policies can vary in terms of level of cover etc etc - best to get recommendations.

Having said all that, if when you arrive, you are already a UK pensioner, healthcare is free - just a few forms to fill in, but again, you must have registered on the pardon.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

'Having said all that, if when you arrive, you are already a UK pensioner, healthcare is free'

Just to be strictly accurate, it is not free but the UK Government makes a contribution towards it every year (whether it is used or not).
Old Mar 25th 2017, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

turkishtoffee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KieronF
Once you arrive in Spain it is advisable to register on the pardon (in effect an electoral roll with benefits) in the district in which you habitually reside. After you have been on the padron for 12 months you can opt to pay into the 'Convenio Especial' - the state system, at approximately €60 per month each. Between arriving and the end of the first year you will need health cover and, much like car cover, policies can vary in terms of level of cover etc etc - best to get recommendations.

Having said all that, if when you arrive, you are already a UK pensioner, healthcare is free - just a few forms to fill in, but again, you must have registered on the pardon.
hi all
kieronF any idea what forms and where i go to fill them in ? we have just decided to move in 3 weeks so any and all information, we will be so usefull thanks turkishtoffee
Old Mar 25th 2017, 12:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkishtoffee
hi all
kieronF any idea what forms and where i go to fill them in ? we have just decided to move in 3 weeks so any and all information, we will be so usefull thanks turkishtoffee
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 25th 2017, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
thanks for the welcome rosemary. neeeervous is not the word
Old Mar 25th 2017, 1:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkishtoffee
thanks for the welcome rosemary. neeeervous is not the word
I remember feeling very daunted about it all. You may find some of the links that are in this part of the forum http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spain_-_Lifestyle but do not get weighed down by the sheer amount as much of it will not be relevant to you.

When you make the move be prepared to doing loads of paperwork and sitting in various offices for some time. Make sure that you make lots of photo copies of all of your documentation. Be patient, relax and make lists so that you do not miss anything important. When in doubt do a search on this forum because many have asked the questions that are sure to be going around in your head.

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; Mar 25th 2017 at 1:19 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I remember feeling very daunted about it all. You may find some of the links that are in this part of the forum Spain - Lifestyle : British Expat Wiki but do not get weighed down by the sheer amount as much of it will not be relevant to you.

When you make the move be prepared to doing loads of paperwork and sitting in various offices for some time. Make sure that you make lots of photo copies of all of your documentation. Be patient, relax and make lists so that you do not miss anything important. When in doubt do a search on this forum because many have asked the questions that are sure to be going around in your head.

Rosemary
thanks again rosemary i will carry a leather strap to bite on