Granada

Old Mar 27th 2017, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of
Default Granada

Hi folks,

After many years of dipping in and out of various forums on here, life has gone on, and it now transpires I may well have the opportunity to move to Granada in the next year or so.

Initially, I wouldn’t have to worry about accommodation, which would be a weight off my mind.

I’m learning Spanish at the moment, and will add it to my knowledge of French and Italian (get all the recession countries in 1 go!)
I’ve just started my research on jobs, or should I say, lack of jobs, in Spain. That’s going to be the most difficult part I think. It’ll be a deal breaker.

If I can build up my knowledge of Spanish in order to be able to have some kind of a conversation, realistically, I’ll have to look for jobs where English is the working language.

Has anyone made the move to Granada? How have you found the job hunt?
I’m going to be there in May and September, so will suss out as much as I can.

One thing I noticed is lots of professional jobs seem to be in Barcelona and Madrid.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Granada

Hi! Welcome here and all that.

Granada has been my base for many years. It is a city I love. However, nowhere is perfect.

As far as English speaking jobs go you will have to look at teaching English as a qualified teacher. There is a demand everywhere in Spain. Jobs in Granada pay less, but it is a relative thing - it costs less to live here than in most provincial cities of Spain. Selling houses isn't that healthy ATM in Granada, but ever fashionable coastal towns are not far away. Most of the foreign clients are more likely to speak English than Spanish.

Almost all work is seasonal. I am an artist and simply travel when work is short in Granada. Summer is very hot. The university closes, as do many of the local businesses.

International tourists are around all year. Spring and Autumn are the busiest times. Spanish tourists are the majority visitors. Summer is low season.

It is a very beautiful city to live if you're happy to live on a very limited income, or lucky enough not to have to worry about income. It is notoriously difficult to find good work here even when crisis is not crisis. As you say; the professional money is in Barcelona and Madrid. However, don't write your hopes off entirely. You just have to meet the right people.

I find my work whenever and wherever I can. I make my own work, but have to make sacrifices to enjoy the freedom I have. Working self-employed in Spain is not easy.

I have no idea what your expectations are. For most, teaching English is the only option. Younger people with few financial commitments make this work for them. 20 hours a week will cover costs and give plenty of free time if living on a basic level sharing a house. Full time teaching means long days and little free time.

I could well be back in Granada soon. Once again wondering how I can make enough money to stay in the city I enjoy most. Chances are I will have to leave for work by June and return again in September.

Good luck. Happy to answer any more specific questions here, or by email.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is a pretty positive reply. I normally am a pessimist when it comes down to people thinking they will be able to get a job here.

Thinking about it, if you haven't got accommodation costs then any work you manage to get doesn't need to be that well paid.

You may be able to get in with something to do with tourists. There is an outfit doing Segway tours of the city . Not saying you could get in with them but if you have skills/ attributes you can bring to the party being free and easy is actually a positive and could open doors elsewhere. I have a friend in England who retired and now has three part time jobs. 1 or 2 days a week working for an auction house, Local premiership football club work on home games and photography.

You are doing the right thing coming over in May to do more research. Good luck
Old Mar 28th 2017, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

Yup, I'll be coming over with my lady friend who is from Granada. In May and in September. We're both based in Ireland.

I am realistic enough about it all though. It could be a great idea in theory. In reality, unless I can get some kind of a job, it might be a non runner, but other cities might be options.

I can pull a pint, play an instrument, and the day job could be done remotely if I go about it the right way. I taught English years ago, so not sure what kind of a teacher I'd make these days. I'm 40 so my partying days are almost behind me....
Old May 19th 2017, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Just back from Granada. Wow. What a beautiful city. It was warm but not too hot for a guiri like me. I got a good feel for the place as I was with a local for the entire trip. I went to La Herradura and Maitena too. A hairy car ride to Maitena!!
I think I'm wasting my time thinking about working in Spain until I have a grasp of the language. Bummer....
Old May 19th 2017, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by criodain
Just back from Granada. Wow. What a beautiful city. It was warm but not too hot for a guiri like me. I got a good feel for the place as I was with a local for the entire trip. I went to La Herradura and Maitena too. A hairy car ride to Maitena!!
I think I'm wasting my time thinking about working in Spain until I have a grasp of the language. Bummer....

Trust me, it gets hot lol
Old May 22nd 2017, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Oh I know. While it was 28 degrees and comfortable enough for me, the onslaught of 40+ degrees is around the corner...
Old May 22nd 2017, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I know. While it was 28 degrees and comfortable enough for me, the onslaught of 40+ degrees is around the corner...
The good thing is that you are based in Ireland and with hard work this allows you to make enough money to fund stays in Granada. You just need a plan. I work with many Spanish here in Ireland and as mentioned international companies are mainly based in the Barcelona/Madrid.

Not impossible to find work in Granada and know 2 people who found work there but mostly short term.
Old May 22nd 2017, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

My problem is I spent enough time doing crappy jobs, and fear I *may* be going back to the same if I moved there. Not to say everyone does crappy jobs there, but with me not being fluent, I'd be limited to start with...

Plus, I need to argue the economic v lifestyle thing as well. I'd be making less over there than in Dublin, but I'm not making huge amounts in Dublin, so not saving a lot, so it's all relative...
Old May 22nd 2017, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

My problem is I spent enough time doing crappy jobs, and fear I *may* be going back to the same if I moved there. Not to say everyone does crappy jobs there, but with me not being fluent, I'd be limited to start with...

Plus, I need to argue the economic v lifestyle thing as well. I'd be making less over there than in Dublin, but I'm not making huge amounts in Dublin, so not saving a lot, so it's all relative...
Dublin is pricey enough, especially housing, so moving to a different part of Ireland might save you thousands a year to fund a move, or longer stay.

If you can move to a different part of Ireland and mange to keep housing costs low (sharing etc.) and don't party all the time, that will allow you to save plenty. Minimum wage here is what some teachers would be happy to earn in Spain and cost of living isn't always cheaper over there.
Old May 22nd 2017, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, I'm looking into other parts of Ireland currently. Problem is, 'er indoors, doesn't like the climate here, plus I'm not sure if she'd get a job in some other part of the country while waiting to go back home.

After being in Granada, I can see how someone would be homesick!

It's a hard one to call. If it were, e.g., someone asking me to move to the UK or Aus, or Germany, I'd be fairly confident I could pick up a similar job, but with Spain I really don't know.

My only other real experience was living in Italy years ago, not giving a sh*te what I did. Different for me this time around...
Old May 23rd 2017, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah, I'm looking into other parts of Ireland currently. Problem is, 'er indoors, doesn't like the climate here, plus I'm not sure if she'd get a job in some other part of the country while waiting to go back home.

After being in Granada, I can see how someone would be homesick!

It's a hard one to call. If it were, e.g., someone asking me to move to the UK or Aus, or Germany, I'd be fairly confident I could pick up a similar job, but with Spain I really don't know.

My only other real experience was living in Italy years ago, not giving a sh*te what I did. Different for me this time around...

Being homesick is one thing but without jobs & money things can quickly turn sour. OK, she has family and it's not always about money but even the sun will get tiring when you have no other prospects.

Far easier to work and save here and actually have cash/time to enjoy longer visits over there. Sure, as some say you could find some sort of Segway tour job. However, unless you are the owner of that company, it's a dead end in my opinion. Might be ok for a semi retired person who needs some extra cash but at 40? Now's the time to earn money and maybe put extra money into a pension pot etc.

I'm all for adventure and living now but unfortunately our generation also have to think about pensions and future income. Finding the balance is the key.
Old May 23rd 2017, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Yeah. That's it. I think it would be easier for her, being from there, to know the lie of the land, and she'd certainly get a job before me. When she was there, she was making decent money for Spain. I just need some kind of security at this stage...
Old May 24th 2017, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Tuds is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also moving to Granada - buying a business. I will be looking for accommodation if anyone has any tips about renting and anything else useful to know before coming!
Old Jun 4th 2017, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Anna3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi fellas anyone still in Granada who fancy a pint or a coffee! Just arrived from Scotland for a wee holidays and I need to keep practicing my English. I'm from here so I can show u the city and some Spanish if u want

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.