Gramon Grass

Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

flamingo is just really niceflamingo is just really niceflamingo is just really niceflamingo is just really niceflamingo is just really niceflamingo is just really niceflamingo is just really niceflamingo is just really nice
Default Gramon Grass

I have 'googled' gramon grass but have failed to find any information so I wonder if any of you keen gardeners can help.

I have a salty water well that I do not use, at present the top water is pretty much free of salt, probably because of the recent dowpours in the Chiclana area, but the bottom half is pretty salty.

My question is can either Gramon, or any other grass, be watered with salty water without killing it.

Many thanks
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:10 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gramon Grass

Originally Posted by flamingo
I have 'googled' gramon grass but have failed to find any information so I wonder if any of you keen gardeners can help.

I have a salty water well that I do not use, at present the top water is pretty much free of salt, probably because of the recent dowpours in the Chiclana area, but the bottom half is pretty salty.

My question is can either Gramon, or any other grass, be watered with salty water without killing it.

Many thanks
There is a grass that was developed for golf courses in America called 'Seashore Paspalum Grass' It is available from most wholesale grass seed stockists but you will have to find one here in Spain.
Its not cheap In the US it sells at $45 for 2.2Kgs but it is very hardy and thrives on salt water.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Gramon is a very hardy coarse grass that needs relatively little maintenance. We have a place in Melilla about 10k furthur west than you, when we moved in the plot consisted of weeds and a few little bits of gramon. OH has now covered the plot in gramon by transplanting small bits of the shoots it puts out. Periodically ours appears to have died off in places but speedily recovers when we water it. We use our well water for all purposes other than drinking.

You can get your well water tested in most of the pool places in Chiclana we got ours tested in the shop next to Monopoly.

If I can suggest you might try the forum at: mycadiz.biz as they have a number of very keen gardeners.

There appear to be a couple of varieties of Gramon, a fine version and a coarse one.

Regards

Jim
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

In Spain the word is usually "grama" grass. It is used to describe the coarse creeping grass that is very common around the Med.

It is a type of Bermuda Grass (Cynodon Dactylon). Most types here are grown from planting cuttings (stolons) but there are seeds available for a large range of types.

We have used an American hybrid called Sahara successfully from seed.

If you want the best salt resistance you should look at Kikuyu grass or Seashore Passpalum (as Lynnxa mentioned).

All these seeds are vailable from a Spanish company called FITO. There is a lot of info about these types here

http://www.semillasfito.com/catalogo/TurfgrassFito.pdf

They don't come cheap though!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

flamingo is just really niceflamingo is just really niceflamingo is just really niceflamingo is just really niceflamingo is just really niceflamingo is just really niceflamingo is just really niceflamingo is just really nice

Thank you all for your responses it has all been very useful, particularly the FITO website.

Many thanks
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 11:30 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

yes used on sort grass landstrips ......

Aer arann in ireland used it .... mates father used to own , i ask him about it

Aran islands