Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Going to Spain- Shall we fly or drive?

Going to Spain- Shall we fly or drive?

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of
Default Re: Going to Spain- Shall we fly or drive?

hmmmm
So using a cheapo airline and hiring a cheapo rental car for the initial few weeks sounds favourite to me. Then you can spend hours at the bar discussing the pros and cons of (a) going back to UK and fetching the UK car and driving over permanently and going through the red tape of re-registering it and complying with Spanish legalities , which do tend to change from month to month and from region to region , or (b) selling the car in UK and buying a nice new Spanish one after you have applied for residencia. Now that's another story.
Actually, I think Glynis has got the right answer when she said:

We came over with our Brit car by ferry from Plymouth to Santander and then drove down to Costa de Luz through the centre of Spain. I wouldn't have missed it, the scenery is so different from the North of Spain to the South, we even travelled through mountains which had snow on with eagles and storks circling over our heads (quite a way over). No problem driving with RHD car. We have also re-registered our Brit car now onto Spanish plates which was a lot cheaper than selling it in a hurry at home and then having to buy a new one over here which is always a risk if you buy something you don't know unless it is new of course. I would also advise you to check out different areas, depending on what you want for your future life in Spain.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nige
hmmmm
So using a cheapo airline and hiring a cheapo rental car for the initial few weeks sounds favourite to me. Then you can spend hours at the bar discussing the pros and cons of (a) going back to UK and fetching the UK car and driving over permanently and going through the red tape of re-registering it and complying with Spanish legalities , which do tend to change from month to month and from region to region , or (b) selling the car in UK and buying a nice new Spanish one after you have applied for residencia. Now that's another story.
Actually, I think Glynis has got the right answer when she said:

We came over with our Brit car by ferry from Plymouth to Santander and then drove down to Costa de Luz through the centre of Spain. I wouldn't have missed it, the scenery is so different from the North of Spain to the South, we even travelled through mountains which had snow on with eagles and storks circling over our heads (quite a way over). No problem driving with RHD car. We have also re-registered our Brit car now onto Spanish plates which was a lot cheaper than selling it in a hurry at home and then having to buy a new one over here which is always a risk if you buy something you don't know unless it is new of course. I would also advise you to check out different areas, depending on what you want for your future life in Spain.
This one is for JDR - sorry Torquay should now be changed to Chiclana, obviously I'm a bit short on the old grey matter these days!
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 6:09 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glynis
This one is for JDR - sorry Torquay should now be changed to Chiclana, obviously I'm a bit short on the old grey matter these days!
Ain`t we all