Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Global warming??

Global warming??

Old Apr 20th 2012, 7:52 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global warming??

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
If only it was a simple scientific fact we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Hands up those who believed in the "Hockey stick curve". Whatever happened to that! It was the indisputable proof of Global warming. The believers very quietly dropped that didn't they!!

Jim
I agree entirely - it isn't simple science it is extremely complex. The theory behind the warming effect of increasing CO2 in the atmosphere though is very simple. It is also a fact that the vast majority of scientists agree. But some people still insist in muddying the waters by throwing in stupid conspiracy theory nonsense and others have quite obviously no idea whatever about the science but bang on like they do. I give up. At least we all seem to agree that even if it is happening we don't give a toss.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

golfy is a jewel in the roughgolfy is a jewel in the roughgolfy is a jewel in the roughgolfy is a jewel in the roughgolfy is a jewel in the rough

Just as a little footnote, this was today's high temperature where I live in Cadiz 17° Global warming, my arse
Old Apr 20th 2012, 10:41 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by golfy
Just as a little footnote, this was today's high temperature where I live in Cadiz 17° Global warming, my arse
Leaving your arse out of it, if I may for the moment, do you have a vague appreciation of the notion that weather and climate are quite different concepts?

I usually explain it to 10 year olds with something along the lines of "Climate is the clothes you have in your wardrobe, weather is what you put on today".

They seem to get it straight away, but I suppose it's way over your head.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Apr 20th 2012 at 10:46 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:04 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by golfy
I've already given up. This is the level of discourse on this forum. Pathetic nonsense and idiocy - not a clue about anything.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Could I just mention Karakorum, been in the papers for about seven days now and has got a lot of scientists in a real tizzie!!!!

Jim
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:43 am
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by jimenato
I've already given up. This is the level of discourse on this forum. Pathetic nonsense and idiocy - not a clue about anything.
Oops - in the cold light of day I've realised you were probably joking - sorry!
Old Apr 21st 2012, 8:20 am
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
Could I just mention Karakorum, been in the papers for about seven days now and has got a lot of scientists in a real tizzie!!!!

Jim
The majority of glaciers are shrinking - some in a local area are growing.

Remember that it is thought that the UK could experience Alaskan conditions if climate change is a real phenomenon.

There is no doubt that global average temperatures are rising - as jojo says we are coming out of an ice age - the only question is whether or not man made CO2 is an aggravating factor.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 9:24 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Reading this forum is sometimes like watching Neanderthal man running in fear as the moon goes down over the horizon.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute

But why is it there has to be a scientific explanation which has massive financial consequences for the world....And why is it the advantageous financial consequences are divided between the political ruling elite and their sycophantic conglomerate cronies, whilst the rest of the globe inhabiting plebes have to foot the bill???
I am not a global conspiracy fantasist! ........Ahem!!!
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:18 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

If it were true and not just a convenient money making theory, cos thats all it is, a theory generated by a predictive computer model, then there would be no argument, no discussion. There are many eminent scientists who find the whole thing silly - why would they and who are we to argue either way??? We just have to go with what we're told and make our own minds up.

Jo xx
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:26 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly! Having a degree in chemistry/science etc does not qualify you as a GW expert
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:29 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
If it were true and not just a convenient money making theory, cos thats all it is, a theory generated by a predictive computer model, then there would be no argument, no discussion. There are many eminent scientists who find the whole thing silly - why would they and who are we to argue either way??? We just have to go with what we're told and make our own minds up.

Jo xx
What about the not inconsiderable photographic evidence that glaciers and such like are melting at a much faster rate than ever before? How about the various data sites that show that climate change is happening as we speak? How about the pollution issues that plague not only the third world where regulations are less stringent but also the damage being done long term to the rest of the world?

Climate change deniers always quote the money making side of taxes and some bullshit about times in our history when the climate did change swiftly but they never accept that even at those strange times when the earths climate did change suddenly it was always a dramatic pollution event that caused it, generally volcanos. In 50 years time when all you lot are rotting in the ground we will all laugh at you and your ignorance.... well I wont. I'll never make old bones!
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:34 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

and I won't be around to tell those theorists that they were wrong about global warming...neither will they to take the flack. They can say anything with their daft mock ups.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:39 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
What about the not inconsiderable photographic evidence that glaciers and such like are melting at a much faster rate than ever before?
You'd need show us the photographic evidence from the last global warming eras to prove that lol!!!

Jo xxx
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:43 am
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
a convenient money making theory, cos thats all it is,
Jo xx
Justify that bit if you can (based on previous form I'm not holding my breath...)

Also THE VAST MAJORITY of scientists are in agreement about it - the MINORITY are not. Why do you choose to go with the minority?

Last edited by jimenato; Apr 21st 2012 at 11:48 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.