Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Global warming??

Global warming??

Old Feb 16th 2014, 11:03 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global warming??

Originally Posted by Domino
don't remember anyone shouting about Global Warming when we had the bad weather of the 63-64 winter, the year children of 10 in the Scillies had the first snow fall in their lives.

`
No-one is suggesting that AGW is the only influence on the weather - there are many.

BTW where I was at the time it was 62-63.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 11:52 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
No-one is suggesting that AGW is the only influence on the weather - there are many.

BTW where I was at the time it was 62-63.
TBH I just remember the former rather than the latter, we had a couple of bad winters but the 63-64 I remember because the parade ground was closed as it was unsafe to carry out drills with rifle and bayonet (even in pre-H&S fluffy bunny days it could and did happen that someone thought about losing a complete intake of new recruits ) and that is one that relates to the Scilies statement also.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 6:19 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Global warming, Climate change, Human effect on the planet.So called Experts being used on all sides of the argument, advisors turning faster than spinning tops.
Western governments telling people how to collect and seperate their rubbish, then
dump it altogether on the same site.Bankers misusing/misappropiating customers funds, usually known as Fraud and getting away with it.
Weird and contradictory human species turning into vegetarians.Humans unnecessarily slaughtering land and sea creatures for profit alone.
Humans killing one another, indifferent to their spiritual beliefs, for power and financial
gain alone.Then entertain ourselves with soaps and Big brother.
Telling each other we need to secure and care for our childrens future and the planet
they are to inherit.

Ahhh yes where there's controversy and contradiction, generalisation,there is hope,
we fool and tell ourselves.
Oh I am so glad my kids were born Aliens and I will return to my home on Zod.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 6:25 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

because the parade ground was closed
LOL HMS Raleigh I guess
Old Feb 17th 2014, 7:05 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuchs01
Global warming, Climate change, Human effect on the planet.So called Experts being used on all sides of the argument, advisors turning faster than spinning tops.
Western governments telling people how to collect and seperate their rubbish, then
dump it altogether on the same site.Bankers misusing/misappropiating customers funds, usually known as Fraud and getting away with it.
Weird and contradictory human species turning into vegetarians.Humans unnecessarily slaughtering land and sea creatures for profit alone.
Humans killing one another, indifferent to their spiritual beliefs, for power and financial
Telling each other we need to secure and care for our childrens future and the planet
they are to inherit.

Ahhh yes where there's controversy and contradiction, generalisation,there is hope,
That about sums it up

Jo xxx
Old Feb 17th 2014, 8:28 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuchs01
they are to inherit.

Well it all may seem like the end of the world, but be assured, we are far better as a species nowadays than ever before. I happen to agree with Bill Gates on this one.

Just a few centuries ago, the vast majority of the population was all but impoverished. We'd hack each other to bits for the entertainment of our kings. We'd kill anything we felt like killing. We'd enslave people of another nationality, race or religion, and presumed they all were of a lesser ilk, and deserved to be treated like animals, or subject to torture... There was little, if any rule of law.

Nobody ever thought about the environment, or human rights, and there was no such thing as a "middle class". You were either rich and powerful, or a peasant. And that's just how it was.

...and precious few saw it differently than that...

Luckily, that's now limited to a few remaining primitive cultures who refuse to accept how humanity has advanced in the past few centuries.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 9:14 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Well it all may seem like the end of the world, but be assured, we are far better as a species nowadays than ever before. I happen to agree with Bill Gates on this one.

Just a few centuries ago, the vast majority of the population was all but impoverished. We'd hack each other to bits for the entertainment of our kings. We'd kill anything we felt like killing. We'd enslave people of another nationality, race or religion, and presumed they all were of a lesser ilk, and deserved to be treated like animals, or subject to torture... There was little, if any rule of law.

Nobody ever thought about the environment, or human rights, and there was no such thing as a "middle class". You were either rich and powerful, or a peasant. And that's just how it was.

Luckily, that's now limited to a few remaining primitive cultures who refuse to accept how humanity has advanced in the past few centuries.
Thats evolution and progress for you - good and bad. But we may have learnt how to be more equal on the ground, but we've just developed bigger and different issues and lets face it, if we hadnt and still lived in the society you've portrayed, we wouldnt have industrialised enough to get ourselves bent out of shape about AGW.

In a few 100 years time, I'm sure society will have changed again - good and bad. The climate will be changing just as it always has - thats if we havent blown ourselves up with our own advances in weapons!!!!!

As for the recent weather - its just more of the same. Nothing has happened that hasnt happened already in our recent past - so its not new, the only thing thats new is our feeble attempts to reclaim land that mother nature had earmarked as water - she's just proved that we're not as "big" as we like to think we are!!! I just feel deeply sorry for those who have been affected

Jo xxx
Old Feb 17th 2014, 4:28 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Global warming??

Originally Posted by amideislas

Sounds nice dunnit...Your forgetting one thing, for us on this site and the west of
the western world, it lies true, but then again we are only 5-8% of the world inhabitants,who incidently are not the bees knees, and all types of corruption is rife.
Including promotion of self importance.

The rest of our fellow humans still live in the mayhem and degradation explained, posted in the above quote.
I dont believe the end of the world because we humans tend to be nobheads, but
I dont believe in patting ourselves on the back in support of some sort of human patronisation. I am neither sinic,optimist, or pessemist in my beliefs, I just observe
and opinionate my thoughts on what present characteristics as a species we negatively or possitively allow to forge our lives.

As corny as it sounds, I belief hope is eternal, our children and theirs after ride the waves of future hope.
so humans as a species can always expand.
Evolution is a permanent path that nature builds and extends.
We are part of and not the whole of natures designs.
So at present as a species we are still at the punk and dictator phase.
So like our wise teachers write on our behalf...'room for improvement' is a continous relevant 'dictate'.

So grasshopper do not believe the blade of grass you decide to land on is the only one suitable or available, because its the field itself that can mask the choices.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:17 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

This chap is saying what I think.

There are many interesting questions one can raise about how climate scientists and economists model both climate change and the human contribution to it. But I’m not going to discuss any of those here. I’m going to take as a given that global warming does exist and has many accepted, worrying effects – and try to argue that we should not be attempting to prevent it, but instead be looking to adapt to it.
There is no way we can stop AGW if it is happening. There is no point in stopping using electricity, cars and anything that increases your "carbon footprint". Better to adapt to what might happen. Of course that depends upon us being able to predict what might happen.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:39 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way we can stop AGW if it is happening. There is no point in stopping using electricity, cars and anything that increases your "carbon footprint". Better to adapt to what might happen. Of course that depends upon us being able to predict what might happen.
Part of the problem is that we may not be able to continue as we have been because we do not have solutions. The way we consume fuels, and kill biodiversity, with intensive farming for example could have implications for the way we produce food that we can't fix. Of course there is a lot to be said for countries developing the political will to do that. For example, supporting poor countries' economic development so that they don't lay waste to their resources and their people can be fed. Can't say I'm optimistic though.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 2:08 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

well who is going to be the first to stop using electricity, burning fossil fuels, only buying things that are not processed ???
Even a bottle of water is "contaminated" because it has been put into the bottle using fossil fuels to pump the water and fill the bottles and move them from A to B to C etc so you can buy in the supermarket.

It is a vicious circle and you would really have to live "off the grid" to have at best a neutral situation.
But as i say - who is going to be the first, and will it turn from one snowflake into a blizzard, or just melt on the tarmac ???

Everyone from the 3rd World wants all the advantages we have, and it is too late to stop it all. Just have to see if The Old Girl can make the necessary adjustments........
Old Feb 18th 2014, 2:44 pm
FreeThinker

well who is going to be the first to stop using electricity, burning fossil fuels, only buying things that are not processed ???
Even a bottle of water is "contaminated" because it has been put into the bottle using fossil fuels to pump the water and fill the bottles and move them from A to B to C etc so you can buy in the supermarket.

It is a vicious circle and you would really have to live "off the grid" to have at best a neutral situation.
But as i say - who is going to be the first, and will it turn from one snowflake into a blizzard, or just melt on the tarmac ???

Everyone from the 3rd World wants all the advantages we have, and it is too late to stop it all. Just have to see if The Old Girl can make the necessary adjustments........
Quite.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:41 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. somehow "evolution" comes to mind... Wasn't that man-made, too?