Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Global warming??

Global warming??

Old Apr 18th 2012, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global warming??

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Nonsense, you listen to too much government and "those who will benefits" propaganda!!
No, I have a degree and Masters in Chemistry

Would you like to share your credentials?
Old Apr 18th 2012, 9:47 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

The point is that it doesn't actually matter whether or not man-made CO2 is changing anything. We are going to run out of fossil fuels at some point anyway so we might as well be doing something about it now.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 9:48 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

..... and another thing. The government are no longer referring to it as "warming", due to the unquestionable change in their computers predictive figures and the news from their so called experts, they are now referring to it as "climate change", which tends to make me question that they have a clue at all. Lets face it, they have enough trouble predicting the weather for next week, let alone for the next millennium!

Jo xxx
Love it

A degree in chemistry doesn't make you an expert in global warming. I thought you once told us you didn't go to University
Old Apr 18th 2012, 9:51 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
No, I have a degree and Masters in Chemistry

Would you like to share your credentials?
You dont need credentials silly!! Its classroom stuff - GCSE level!! But you could put my letters after my name if you like MB.BS.FPC

Jo xxxx
Old Apr 18th 2012, 9:55 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
The point is that it doesn't actually matter whether or not man-made CO2 is changing anything. We are going to run out of fossil fuels at some point anyway so we might as well be doing something about it now.
I agree we should take care of the worlds resources. I bet all those GW supporters here had xmas lights....wasn't there a debate on here about lights in the villages with some complaining they weren't as good as last year

What makes me laugh is when booking a flight they always ask if you want to offset the carbon emission...what do they do with the money?
Old Apr 18th 2012, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I agree we should take care of the worlds resources. I bet all those GW supporters here had xmas lights....wasn't there a debate on here about lights in the villages with some complaining they weren't as good as last year

What makes me laugh is when booking a flight they always ask if you want to offset the carbon emission...what do they do with the money?
Again you are confusing science with politics/business

Carbon offsetting is nonsense, it is a marketing tool as are most the policies the government makes up. They use climate change as an excuse

Any change needs to be much more radical than anyone has ever proposed and must involve population control and allocation/rationing of resources e.g. 1 child families, energy rations per family, an increase in the number of trees globally, banning of fossil fuels, changing the stupid EU agricultural rules which ships fruit and veg all over Europe when people should be eating local etc

The problem is these policies go completely against the concept of capitalism and economic growth so will not be adopted until its too late
Old Apr 18th 2012, 10:18 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Love it

A degree in chemistry doesn't make you an expert in global warming. I thought you once told us you didn't go to University
Degree in Chemistry and still lives with mum. Life is good.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by amideislas
Degree in Chemistry and still lives with mum. Life is good.
Don't know where you get that info from
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:22 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

You dont need credentials silly!! Its classroom stuff - GCSE level!! But you could put my letters after my name if you like MB.BS.FPC

Jo xxxx
You are quite right it is junior school stuff. Human activities (basically burning fossil fuels and to a certain extent deforestation) raise the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. The fact that a higher level of CO2 in the atmosphere has a so-called greenhouse effect - i.e. it traps radiated heat from the sun is also well known. I learnt about that nearly 50 years ago at junior school. None of this is disputable. The only thing that is in question is the extent of the effect and measurements appear to demonstrate that it is happening. Of course it is not in the interests of big power suppliers, airlines, motor companies and the like to admit any of this so perhaps that is what is fuelling the denialism.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 2:57 pm
FreeThinker

..... and another thing. The government are no longer referring to it as "warming", due to the unquestionable change in their computers predictive figures and the news from their so called experts, they are now referring to it as "climate change", which tends to make me question that they have a clue at all. Lets face it, they have enough trouble predicting the weather for next week, let alone for the next millennium!

Jo xxx
The effect of increasing amounts of CO2 in the atmosphere is a net increase in temperatures across the world. This will have different local outcomes. For instance it is possible that the British Isles will revert to a cold Alaskan climate if warming causes the North Atlantic Drift to stop functioning. This is why 'Global Warming' was changed to 'Climate Change' - to stop silly people pointing to each cooling event and saying "There - told you so - global warming my arse..."

By the way - you are making the common error of confusing climate and weather.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 6:14 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with that too. We certainly need to at least find a different source of energy, Nuclear seems to be the most effective, and once they can produce it safely, I think that could be the way forward??!!

But for us humans to be as vain and stupid as to think that we could change the planets surface temperature permanently is silly. Its a wonderful ploy by the governments to make money and to put a bit of fear into the population - Fear is the best way to control the masses, that is something I learnt when studying. We've caused smog and pollution, but the earth is more than capable of cleaning that up and does - afterall, everything we use on this planet is a product of this planet - so we're not adding anything extra, but yes, we're making a bit of a mess!

In a few generations time, the population will probably look back and laugh at our attempts to "save the planet", their technology will be far more sophisticated than anything we can do now. thats if we havent blown each other to bits warring and fighting - now thats something that should stop. It uses up more of the worlds resources than our standby buttons and kills - what on earth is the point????

Jo xxx
Old Apr 18th 2012, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

OK well how about this from another person with a degree in chemistry, and yes I did go to university.

Fact : The fossil fuels that we are burning got their carbon from the carbon dioxide that was originally in the atmosphere, so we are only putting it back where it came from in the first place!
Pete.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 8:48 pm
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
OK well how about this from another person with a degree in chemistry, and yes I did go to university.

Fact : The fossil fuels that we are burning got their carbon from the carbon dioxide that was originally in the atmosphere, so we are only putting it back where it came from in the first place!
Pete.
Correct. Millions of years ago, before humans existed, oil, gas and coal were living things which converted CO2 in the atmosphere so we are putting it back where it came from. Do we really want to return our planet to a state it was in before humans existed?
Old Apr 18th 2012, 8:54 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Correct. Millions of years ago, before humans existed, oil, gas and coal were living things which converted CO2 in the atmosphere so we are putting it back where it came from. Do we really want to return our planet to a state it was in before humans existed?
No but you are quite close to the answer methinks. What we need to do is get Benjy Mouse to commission Slartibartfast to build a second planet earth but not include the carbon-based life forms - we can use thar second planet as the control group and put some scientific rigour into a debate that is big on statistics, data extrapolation, emotion, opinion, spin etc etc but woefully short on scientific content.

Which way is Magarthea?

Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

Global warming (climate change) is rather like passive smoking, a term invented for a non-existent condition by a bunch of control freaks. There is no real scientific evidence for either. Statistics can prove anything you want them to as long as you choose your criteria carefully.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.