Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

General tips for Spain

General tips for Spain

Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

cumtuppence is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General tips for Spain

We are hoping to be moving to Spain in October. A bit of a set back as I decided to argue with a wine glass (empty I am pleased to say) which bit back by cutting my hand very badly. Good thing, if it had to be, not my drinking hand!!!!!
We are coming overland from Calais towards Malaga and have 2 routes in mind. If anyone has done this trip could you let me know your route please?
I have read that BBQ's are expensive in SP. is this so? Does anyone know about DIY stores or similar? We envy all who have got to live their dreams as this will be a 2nd attempt to be with you all. It is quite hot here in Somerset so we are getting aclimatised.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: General tips for Spain

Hi cumtuppence,

All your Spanish questions were answered last week on the thread "When we arrive in Spain" plus many more.

I have not yet driven down to Ayamonte but do intend to do so. I printed of two itineraries from the "AA" website which look very comprehensive and the site gives you lots of alternatives. I looked at driving all the way from Calais and also driving from Bilbao which you could just about do in one day with the new motorways. Michelin also do the same sort of thing if you fancy a French take on things.

Regards,

John

Originally Posted by cumtuppence
We are hoping to be moving to Spain in October. A bit of a set back as I decided to argue with a wine glass (empty I am pleased to say) which bit back by cutting my hand very badly. Good thing, if it had to be, not my drinking hand!!!!!
We are coming overland from Calais towards Malaga and have 2 routes in mind. If anyone has done this trip could you let me know your route please?
I have read that BBQ's are expensive in SP. is this so? Does anyone know about DIY stores or similar? We envy all who have got to live their dreams as this will be a 2nd attempt to be with you all. It is quite hot here in Somerset so we are getting aclimatised.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

shoo will become famous soon enoughshoo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: General tips for Spain

Hi Cumtuppence

Around where I live, a lot of people build their own BBQs and use wood instead of charcoal, cheaper all way round.

I agree with John, get an itinerary from the AA website, we did and we arrived without hiccup.

Hope the hand gets better soon (keep off the juice)

All the best for October

shoo
Old Jul 18th 2005, 7:07 am
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

BBQ's, the large brick ones which sit up against a wall, yes they are very expensive, very nice but expensive...build your own.

I drove from Brussels where I was working at the time. I used the route planner from Michelin which got me here without any problems......well crazy drivers and expensive toll charges aside

Good luck
Old Jul 18th 2005, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Cptnemo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cumtuppence
Hi

Cant help with the BBQs - but have driven from Calais to southern Spain twice. The first time, like has been suggested, I printed a route from the AA/RAC + Michellin - it was fine, but in my opinion, the route was expensive in tolls, the French equivalent of the M25 in Paris was a nightmare and crossing the Pyrenees in France wasn't fun at all. The driving in Spain was fine, but nearly all motorway and hence abit boring.

The second time decided to follow the French Coast via Biarritz cross the Pyrenees in Spain, cross country to Zarragosa and then to Valencia. Again in my opinion, the route through France was far less congested, mainly dual carriageways, the tolls were less, crossing the Pyrenees was much easier and scenic. The motoring in Spain was quiet and not all motorway.

If I was to drive again would certainly take the second route.
Hope this helps
Old Jul 19th 2005, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: General tips for Spain

Hi Cptnemo,

Nothing like first hand experience, sounds like you had a good second trip and I shall take your advice on board. I know that at both AA & Michelin you can set parameters such as no motorways or via towns a, b , c and d but you then get a good printed route card with detail distances and times for each leg. The Michelin site will also recommend sightseeing and overnight stops on the way. Many thanks for the advice.

Regards,

John,

Originally Posted by Cptnemo
Hi

Cant help with the BBQs - but have driven from Calais to southern Spain twice. The first time, like has been suggested, I printed a route from the AA/RAC + Michellin - it was fine, but in my opinion, the route was expensive in tolls, the French equivalent of the M25 in Paris was a nightmare and crossing the Pyrenees in France wasn't fun at all. The driving in Spain was fine, but nearly all motorway and hence abit boring.

The second time decided to follow the French Coast via Biarritz cross the Pyrenees in Spain, cross country to Zarragosa and then to Valencia. Again in my opinion, the route through France was far less congested, mainly dual carriageways, the tolls were less, crossing the Pyrenees was much easier and scenic. The motoring in Spain was quiet and not all motorway.

If I was to drive again would certainly take the second route.
Hope this helps
Old Jul 19th 2005, 7:54 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Get the ferry to Bilbao and drive from there, much more leisurely trip
Old Jul 19th 2005, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Get the ferry to Bilbao and drive from there, much more leisurely trip
I'd agree with jdr , saves a lot of hassle and ideal for those with pets.

Old Jul 20th 2005, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by svenskidoo
I'd agree with jdr , saves a lot of hassle and ideal for those with pets.

And if you do that, consider spending that little bit more to get a suite, rather than one of the little pokey 4-bunk cabins. Nice view (exciting when the bow is plunging into the water in rougher weather!), biiig double bed plus sofa bed, bigger en-suite and a bottle of bubbly.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coralsoft
And if you do that, consider spending that little bit more to get a suite, rather than one of the little pokey 4-bunk cabins. Nice view (exciting when the bow is plunging into the water in rougher weather!), biiig double bed plus sofa bed, bigger en-suite and a bottle of bubbly.
And if its rough, DON'T eat, and then throw up like most of the passengers on one of my trips.