Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

GB pound weakening

GB pound weakening

Old Dec 6th 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future
Default Re: GB pound weakening

[QUOTE=poshnbucks;7041889]I can see that the pound has weakened somewhat as we all know, However if you just look at what's happening to Germany..... Ah well never mind, And Spain in the newspaper clips below, I think the back end of next year will see an improved exchange rate for the old UK Pound against the Euro Anyway. Something rather strange when France....Ohhh we don't have a crisis...Yea really, And Great Britain have left Germany's Mrs Merkel's to crack on alone as she has been dragging her fat ass rather than take action, I would suggest Germany is well in the poo as we will all learn in the coming year. So put away those vespa boil in the bag meals and get ready for lobster and pinko.........Nothing new here then.

I agree Germany has some sh*t to shovel as have most of the Euro countries. Its just time before the pound rises against the Euro again.
I am always amused as ex-pats living in Spain see so much through rose tinted spectacles.
I am just looking out of my window on a wonderfully sunny English winters day...the sunshine is great in Spain..but they can't do winter and autumn.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=encodeme;7042594]
Originally Posted by poshnbucks
I can see that the pound has weakened somewhat as we all know, However if you just look at what's happening to Germany..... Ah well never mind, And Spain in the newspaper clips below, I think the back end of next year will see an improved exchange rate for the old UK Pound against the Euro Anyway. Something rather strange when France....Ohhh we don't have a crisis...Yea really, And Great Britain have left Germany's Mrs Merkel's to crack on alone as she has been dragging her fat ass rather than take action, I would suggest Germany is well in the poo as we will all learn in the coming year. So put away those vespa boil in the bag meals and get ready for lobster and pinko.........Nothing new here then.

I agree Germany has some sh*t to shovel as have most of the Euro countries. Its just time before the pound rises against the Euro again.
I am always amused as ex-pats living in Spain see so much through rose tinted spectacles.
I am just looking out of my window on a wonderfully sunny English winters day...the sunshine is great in Spain..but they can't do winter and autumn.
I suppose the question is will Gordo and his mate Mandy give the pound enough time to recover (or realy want that) or bail out into the euro first, leaving us who have saved for years and taken a mortgage for the dream retirement up S*** creek!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I suppose the question is will Gordo and his mate Mandy give the pound enough time to recover (or realy want that) or bail out into the euro first, leaving us who have saved for years and taken a mortgage for the dream retirement up S*** creek!
Depends on what his American friend says is best for the yankie economy. ;-)
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=bobd22;7042777]
Originally Posted by encodeme
I don't think Gordon would dare go into the Euro (fingers crossed). Mandy on the other hand (allegedly) would do whatever made him a bit more fame and fortune. I'm just waiting for his positive spin on the Iraq war.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Its just time before the pound rises against the Euro again.
Did I miss something? Since the introduction of the euro, what was it, 7 years ago? has the pound EVER risen against the euro? (and I don't mean by the odd cent).

As far as I can tell it has been a one way slide with the pound constantly finding a brand new cliff to jump off.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl
Did I miss something? Since the introduction of the euro, what was it, 7 years ago? has the pound EVER risen against the euro? (and I don't mean by the odd cent).

As far as I can tell it has been a one way slide with the pound constantly finding a brand new cliff to jump off.
I remember from various visits to the Uk that I was getting 71p to the Euro in the early days (£350 for 500 Euros), it then went to around 60 / 61p to the Euro (£300 to £310 for 500 Euros), now we are probably around 82p per Euro on a currency exchange rate (£410 for 500 Euros).
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

We were buying a 1.5 in summer...so its not always doom and gloom.
The Spanish Economic ministry have just declared :-
2.99m unemployed
40,000 losing their jobs every week
12.8% of the workforce now idle
12 years since the situation was so bleak

German economy expected to shrink 4% next year

Now thats a positive for your pound!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

We were buying a 1.5 in summer...so its not always doom and gloom.
:
Not this summer you weren't. It was about 1.25/1.30 euros to the pound during this summer.

Summer 2007 was 1.44/1.48 euros to the pound.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Not this summer you weren't. It was about 1.25/1.30 euros to the pound during this summer.

Summer 2007 was 1.44/1.48 euros to the pound.
Woops how time flies by.....
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:59 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

We did have a long period of around 1.50 to the pound, happy days!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jackytoo
We did have a long period of around 1.50 to the pound, happy days!
It will be back along with the stockmarket. Just sit back take a cool beer (or here a warm Gluwein) and relax.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

It will be back along with the stockmarket. Just sit back take a cool beer (or here a warm Gluwein) and relax.
just looking at my transfers for the mortgage 1st one last feb got 970 euro, last week for the same transfer 852!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobd22
just looking at my transfers for the mortgage 1st one last feb got 970 euro, last week for the same transfer 852!
Wow thats a big difference! I would be suprised however if the pound sinks further against the Euro (fingers crossed). I suspect it may start to firm up as the other countries declare their problems and consequently balance the equation.At least in the USA Obhama is making some encouraging noises too.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Wow thats a big difference! I would be suprised however if the pound sinks further against the Euro (fingers crossed). I suspect it may start to firm up as the other countries declare their problems and consequently balance the equation.At least in the USA Obhama is making some encouraging noises too.
Like, we will change America, then we will change the world.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:46 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

??? Unless you restrict yourself to coastal Mediterranean areas, I'm not sure what you're on about? If you want cold and snow there's plenty of places (Teruel, Pyrennes, Burgos, Avila, Galicia, even some villages in Andalucia - near the Sierra Nevada) to sample this. As for a "wonderfully sunny English winters day" - yes it is great when the sun shines. Trouble is, it's often week after week of grey skies and drizzle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.