Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

GB pound weakening

GB pound weakening

Old Mar 6th 2009, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

jimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nice
Default Re: GB pound weakening

Originally Posted by jdr
I have just cashed in a pension, shall I buy some Ernies, you never know on what I might win cos the interest rate is crap at the mo, so really nothing to loose ?
Yes do that. It's more fun and you just never know, IT COULD BE YOU.

This is what we've done, also cashed in a pension each, as gb (no capitals)
cocked all private pensions up.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmbo
Yes do that. It's more fun and you just never know, IT COULD BE YOU.

This is what we've done, also cashed in a pension each, as gb (no capitals)
cocked all private pensions up.
Not as badly as gb has scr*wed the rest of us now!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...nts-money.html

Still given the rate at which inflation will accelerate over the coming years, I suppose we might "think" we are better off.

Still it won't affect the pound in our pocket will it?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

The prizes from Ernie are also going from bad to worse. We have 3 full sets and for the first time ever we have not had a beans this month. :curse:
At least we used to be able to rely on them for a few quid every month.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:27 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by emsirrah
The prizes from Ernie are also going from bad to worse. We have 3 full sets and for the first time ever we have not had a beans this month. :curse:

Mrs P and I have a large holding each. What we have found over the years because of the amount of cash invested you buy a block of chances, We cash them in and buy two fresh blocks every 12 months or so because the little brown envelopes seem to dry up after that period. Its not an exact science but that was our experience. The good thing is you can have a gamble and get your money back.There is a calculator below that gives you the percentages of winning.Its just spare cash that is not in an Isa or other investment.Do not buy them to make money, Unless you are very lucky you will not.So my advice would be cash in your holding and buy another block. I suppose over the years we are at a loss but it is fun waiting for postie.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sav...ds-calculator/

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:38 am.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

The prize fund is currently at 1.8% but at least the money is safe... if not devaluing at the interest rate.
I would love to know how much the government make every year on these!

Prizes for December 2008 where £57.9 million although 95% of this is paid in £50 to £100 prizes.

I have had bonds since being a kid (smallest is £2, it's like something from a museum ) and added to them over the years. I too used to get at least £50 a month (normally 2 or 3 a month between the wife and myself ) or at least have been the last couple of years, although the odd month would go past without a win we have had nothing the last 4 months either.

I think there must be a lot of people selling their investments of late (or part of) and the interest rate has dropped also so...... less in the winning pot.

Still, if your not in you don't win!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely - you have to be in to win. So the Treasury reduced the return about 3 months ago.

£1000 at 1.8 % return, with true inflation running about 7 %, (check Capital Economics site) then 50 quid a year would keep you in the game. .

I regret that does not mean I have any better advice. There does not seem to be any way to hold on to one's money now. Pensions gone, Insurance gone, Stocks and Equities gone, Housing gone.

Almost looks deliberate doesn't it?

If it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck.....
Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

I have a great tip for for Cheltenham next week if you want to diverse your portfolio,Can't loose send me your 90 grand I can get good odds
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrismortley
I have a great tip for for Cheltenham next week if you want to diverse your portfolio,Can't loose send me your 90 grand I can get good odds

I am from Zimbabwe and I have six hundred trillion million Zimbabwe dollars
in a bank account that I cannot access.If you all send me your bank details and passwords I will split it 50/50 with you.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

sandy beach has a spectacular aura aboutsandy beach has a spectacular aura aboutsandy beach has a spectacular aura about

ha ha that old chestnut!!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide
I am from Zimbabwe and I have six hundred trillion million Zimbabwe dollars
in a bank account that I cannot access.If you all send me your bank details and passwords I will split it 50/50 with you.
Correct me if I am wrong that's worth about 10 quid, still this time next year there should be parity between both currencies
Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:21 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrismortley
Correct me if I am wrong that's worth about 10 quid, still this time next year there should be parity between both currencies
This weakening pound is nothing but great news for me. At last - if I visit Britain, I'm not getting screwed on exchange rate. €100 is 100 quid. And not bloody 60 as it was before.

Loving it - may it continue (which as far as I can make out from the so-called experts, it bloody well will!!!! Hurrah!!!!)
Old Mar 8th 2009, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

We kept our PB's because we had hope about 5 years ago, in Spain, when we met a friend of a friend who had won the million at the first attempt. He put a matured insurance policy into bonds whilst the family decided what to do with it and it won.
Unbelievable but honestly true.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:01 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Overvalued euro set to plunge 'within months'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...in-months.html
Old Mar 9th 2009, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poshnbucks

Have you had a look @ page B4
www.telegraph.co.uk/personalview
The article by Ambrose Evans-Prichard makes for interesting reading

Last edited by chrismortley; Mar 9th 2009 at 8:04 am.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poshnbucks

Have a look @ www.citywire.co.uk today they have an a good article today about the state of the Eurozone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.